Schiit Freya Impressions and Tube Rolling Thread
Jun 14, 2017 at 10:45 PM Post #706 of 3,233
I know I said I was done buying tubes....but I could not resist bidding on a NOS pair of what I am 99% sure are Sylvania 6SN7GT "Bad Boy" tubes. Here they are:

s-l1600.jpg

I paid $120 which is a great price these days. They were not listed as "Bad Boys" which I think was a mistake on the seller's part.

Last edited:
Jun 14, 2017 at 11:22 PM Post #707 of 3,233
I know I said I was done buying tubes....but I could not resist bidding on a NOS pair of what I am 99% sure are Sylvania 6SN7GT "Bad Boy" tubes. Here they are:

I paid $120 which is a great price these days. They were not listed as "Bad Boys" which I think was a mistake on the seller's part.

Fourth month 1952, very cool!

Jun 14, 2017 at 11:27 PM Post #708 of 3,233
Fourth month 1952, very cool!

That tube on the left is labeled "S. R. L. INC." But I know that other names were put on Sylvania "Bad Boy" tubes so that doesn't bother me. The right tube is from the 13th week of 1953 which is still in the right date range for "Bad Boy" tubes. All the construction looks correct too. I just can't tell what kind of getter these tubes have.

Jun 15, 2017 at 12:17 AM Post #709 of 3,233
@winders What are you running in the output stage? I tried the new production Tung Sols after the Sylvania Bad Boys and they sound like mush garbage. Stock tubes are far better in the output stage for me. I'm wondering though if they are holding me back a little? I might pick up another pair of Bad Boys or maybe the Ken Rad VT-231.

Jun 15, 2017 at 12:35 AM Post #710 of 3,233
@winders What are you running in the output stage? I tried the new production Tung Sols after the Sylvania Bad Boys and they sound like mush garbage. Stock tubes are far better in the output stage for me. I'm wondering though if they are holding me back a little? I might pick up another pair of Bad Boys or maybe the Ken Rad VT-231.

I have been running the stock tubes in the output buffer stage with a pair of "Bad Boys" in the gain stage. I thought it sounded quite good. Your post inspired me to put a pair of clear glass Ken-Rad VT-231 tubes in the output buffer stage. I'll let you know what I think tomorrow.

None of my tubes have a lot of hours on them so I suspect they will all sound better as time goes on. Mostly I've been running tubeless in JFET mode until I finish my 2 channel setup. I am anxiously waiting on Vidar to come out so I can order a pair of tower speakers for my listening room/Library. My powered monitors have been performing great but I think running Vidar amps with really good speakers will make for a better environment to evaluate tubes.

Jun 15, 2017 at 9:14 AM Post #711 of 3,233
That tube on the left is labeled "S. R. L. INC." But I know that other names were put on Sylvania "Bad Boy" tubes so that doesn't bother me. The right tube is from the 13th week of 1953 which is still in the right date range for "Bad Boy" tubes. All the construction looks correct too. I just can't tell what kind of getter these tubes have.

It was late last night when I looked at the date code. They ran vertically, top down with a single digit for the year and that one doesn't. 4th week 1952, or 1954 week 52? April 1952? Interesting. Sadly anyone with working knowledge of "S. R. L. INC" is long dead most likely. Sometimes it's hard to see the getter. Sure looks like the real thing. Nice find. I have an Emerson tube that's clearly a TungSol mouse ear. It was less expensive just because they were labeled for Emerson. Etc.

Once you get a pair of Vidars and run them mono block with your floor standers and get everything dialed in, it will be a whole new level that's a guarantee. You will be revising your thoughts most likely, well that's the fun.

The picture below is "1951, week 42" just to clarify for others hunting for tubes.
IMG_20170615_082926179.jpg

Jun 15, 2017 at 4:02 PM Post #712 of 3,233
I looked for a matched pair but the prices were too high and the sources, in Russia and the Ukraine, were dubious. There were plenty of other tube options that are supposed to be as good or better available locally in the U.S.

I too have no desire to purchase from Russia.

I bought a set coming from Ukraine. We'll see how they do. You are right - expensive - but there are people who claim they sound better than Tung-Sol round plates, and you ain't getting a pair of those for $200!

Jun 15, 2017 at 7:17 PM Post #713 of 3,233
I have been running the stock tubes in the output buffer stage with a pair of "Bad Boys" in the gain stage. I thought it sounded quite good. Your post inspired me to put a pair of clear glass Ken-Rad VT-231 tubes in the output buffer stage. I'll let you know what I think tomorrow.

So I turn on Freya this morning and, once she was up and the muting relaying went off, I get a super loud series of pops in my left speaker. It calms down and I play a song. No sound comes from the left speaker. I lightly tap on the front tube in the gain stage. I get more pops in the left speaker but no music. I do more troubleshooting but long story short, one of my "Bad Boy" tubes is dead. It's only off in the mail back to the seller and I have a full refund coming. Too bad....

I put another pair of "Bad Boys" in the gain stage with a pair of Ken-Rad VT-231 tubes in the output buffer stage. I listened for a while and I don't rally think it sounded any better than that with the Factory included Russian tubes in the output buffer stage. I am going to try some other tubes there like the RCA VT-231 smoke glass set I have.

Jun 15, 2017 at 7:54 PM Post #714 of 3,233
If that's true you'll be saving me some money. I'll be buying some 2A3 tubes in the future for another amp so I might spend the money there. Keep us posted.

Jun 15, 2017 at 11:38 PM Post #715 of 3,233
I put the tubes in now, two electro harmonix on the left side and the two Northern Electric on the right. Seems punchier and cleaner than the stock tubes. Really cool!! I can see why people get into tube rolling!

Last edited:
Jun 17, 2017 at 2:47 PM Post #716 of 3,233
I also had a pair of '52 Bad boys i was really happy with in my gain stage and had the something very similar happen...was working fine for weeks then one day i go to turn it on, nothing from one channel switch the tubes around to check and sure enough not working... a couple days later i pop them back in just to see and now it's working but that tube is now much more quiet than the other one. Unfortunately i cannot return the tube to the seller as i bought them off the forums and no i am on the hunt for another pair or quad as i really love those tubes!
But for not i have been mostly using Sylvania vt-231's in output and either rca vt-231 grey's, some sylvania 6sn7gt's or ken rad vt-231 staggered plate black glass in the gain... just for the hell of it i threw the rca grey in output and sylvania 6sn7gt's in gain and it is also very pleasant...

BUT...if anyone finds some more of these '52 3 hole bad boys and wants to share please shoot me a PM! i really want to get some more of them.

Date codes on my surviving tube and dead/dying one are 252 & 235

2LwbyhU.jpeg

Jun 18, 2017 at 12:29 AM Post #717 of 3,233
I ordered 2 (Matched) of the Northern Electric Tubes for the power section, and two electro harmonix tubes for the buffer section. I'm going to use the stock tubes just for backup, and keep it like that for awhile. Maybe in the fall, I'll order some NOS tubes to put in the power section, but I have the suspicion the Northern Electric tubes will be just fine I hope.
I'm using a matched pair of Northern Electric 6SN7's in my Freya. Very happy with them.

Jun 18, 2017 at 4:40 PM Post #719 of 3,233
How do you think they compare to the stock tubes?
I think they sound much better. Base it tighter and better defined; dynamic range is improved and they are in no way fatiguing. I am very happy with them. They are still just breaking in so I'm sure the sound will improve even more.

Jun 19, 2017 at 6:30 PM Post #720 of 3,233

Just a follow up:

I received these tubes today and they are the best sounding tubes in my collection! Yay!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back