Schiit Freya Impressions and Tube Rolling Thread
Sep 25, 2017 at 7:41 PM Post #931 of 3,234
I'm in the process of rolling the below tubes in the different stages. Haven't yet put my thoughts down to see which tube pairs I prefer. All are matched pairs.

For the output stage, I plan on using new stock Electro-Harmonix 6SN7 (with the two pairs of Schiit 6H8Cs as backups)
For the input stage, I'm planning on pairs of Tung Sol NOS 6SN7GT black oval, round plate (hopefully soon to be delivered); RCA NOS red base 5692; and Sylvania NOS VT231.

I do plan on testing the "better" tubes in the output stage along with the input stage. Don't know that I'm clever enough or observant enough to discern a difference, but it will be fun project.
I found that the 6SN7GT - VT-231 JAN Sylvania, blackplates are a much cheaper alternative to the 6SN7GT TungSol black oval (round) plates, for classical music at least.

They can be found here: http://www.audiotubes.com/6sn7.htm

Sep 28, 2017 at 10:47 AM Post #932 of 3,234
To clarify: when used in Passive mode, everything, including volume control, is in Analog mode?

Anybody hooked up subwoofers on a Frey via RCA (using the XLR outs to the amp)?

Sep 28, 2017 at 12:24 PM Post #933 of 3,234
To clarify: when used in Passive mode, everything, including volume control, is in Analog mode?

@thyname
Can't answer your first question. I don't understand it.

For your second...
Yes. I run a pair of SVS SB10 powered subs using the SE outs from the Freya while connecting my power amp to Freya via the balanced out.

Last edited:
Sep 28, 2017 at 12:26 PM Post #934 of 3,234

The Freya is an analog device so is always in analog mode.
I have two subwoofers hooked up to the RCA outputs with the XLR outputs to my power amp. Works great.

Oct 2, 2017 at 11:33 PM Post #936 of 3,234
Based on these two posts, I now have 2 Psvanes cv181t2 coming in as well as tube savers. So in a span of a few days I'm already about $300 in the hole on tubes. Jeezus what rabbit hole. I shall stop here.

Idea is Psvane in the gain stage and tung-sol in the buffer.

So now i find myself with one too many Tung-Sols..Anyone want to buy a matched pair of Tungsol 6sn7gt then?
Sorry to re open this thread, but I just saw a you tube video, and the guy used the Psvane and shuag Cv181z without savers, and it looked fine.
Can someone confirm if the black treasure shuang cv181 do not fit freya?

Thanks

Oct 2, 2017 at 11:36 PM Post #937 of 3,234
Sorry to re open this thread, but I just saw a you tube video, and the guy used the Psvane and shuag Cv181z without savers, and it looked fine.
Can someone confirm if the black treasure shuang cv181 do not fit freya?

Thanks
I have used both and you need tube savers. They are just slightly too big. Oddly they fit in the Saga - bit bigger hole.

Oct 3, 2017 at 4:17 PM Post #939 of 3,234
Well, I asked myself the question as to whether buying expensive tubes would be an upgrade over the stock and Tung Sol new production tubes I have.

Buying Sophia or the Shuang Cv181z's that I actually bought are damn expensive. Almost as expensive as the amp itself. Not sure about the Sophia's but the Shuang's
required me to also buy tube socket savers, no biggie. 30 bucks or so. Finding ones that will fit through the hole in the Freya was quite the challenge. Only the ones from the Parts Connextion
in Canada worked .Some of the 8 pin socket savers are garbage but not the ones from this Canadian company.

Well is it worth it? I was really suspect but bought matched quads of the Shuangs and I can tell you unequivocally the answer is yes. I had noise issues with the stock and Tung-Sols from my listening
position of 6-7 feet. Some of the stock tubes I threw out , they were just bad.

Here's my advice on tubes. You get what you pay for . For new production I would highly recommend the Shuangs. I just hope they last a long time .

Bite the bullet . Or find some even more expensive NOS tubes.Yeah I know, like me , you didn't think it was gonna get that expensive.

Last edited:
Oct 3, 2017 at 5:36 PM Post #940 of 3,234
Well, I asked myself the question as to whether buying expensive tubes would be an upgrade over the stock and Tung Sol new production tubes I have.

Buying Sophia or the Shuang Cv181z's that I actually bought are damn expensive. Almost as expensive as the amp itself. Not sure about the Sophia's but the Shuang's
required me to also buy tube socket savers, no biggie. 30 bucks or so. Finding ones that will fit through the hole in the Freya was quite the challenge. Only the ones from the Parts Connextion
in Canada worked .Some of the 8 pin socket savers are garbage but not the ones from this Canadian company.

Well is it worth it? I was really suspect but bought matched quads of the Shuangs and I can tell you unequivocally the answer is yes. I had noise issues with the stock and Tung-Sols from my listening

Here's my advice on tubes. You get what you pay for . For new production I would highly recommend the Shuangs. I just hope they last a long time .

Bite the bullet . Or find some even more expensive NOS tubes.Yeah I know, like me , you didn't think it was gonna get that expensive.
I have used the Shuang's, Psvane's and Northern Electric tubes and rotate them in and out occasionally. I keep the Psvanes in full time on the buffer side and am currently using the Northern Electrics on the gain side. Very happy with all the tubes.

Oct 4, 2017 at 9:07 AM Post #941 of 3,234

Did anyone tryied tube savers from ebay that worked with Freya? Can recomend someone?
I found some savers in the tubemonge store. Quite expensive but seems week built. Anyone used?
http://www.tubemonger.com/mobile/Product.aspx?ProductCode=NOVIB-OCTAL-GE-CINCH

Oct 4, 2017 at 12:37 PM Post #942 of 3,234
Did anyone tryied tube savers from ebay that worked with Freya? Can recomend someone?
I found some savers in the tubemonge store. Quite expensive but seems week built. Anyone used?
http://www.tubemonger.com/mobile/Product.aspx?ProductCode=NOVIB-OCTAL-GE-CINCH
I found inexpensive tube savers on Amazon that I installed on the gain side, they seem to work well enough in my Freya and are of OK quality:
Cary Bakelite Vacuum Tube Saver Sockets:
https://www.amazon.com/Cary-Bakelit...eywords=cary+bakelite+vacuum+tube+saver&psc=1
They include the smaller 9-pin along with the 8-pin we need for Freya, which I probably will end up using in one of my other amps.

Oct 4, 2017 at 5:09 PM Post #944 of 3,234
Question on tubes as I am a newbie: Which stage will affect audio quality the most,gain or output? Or are they equally important? Thus, what position should your best tubes be placed?

Most, including Schiit, have recommended putting "better" tubes in the gain stage (the two to the right). It's also more practical to have two matched tubes than quad match: one matched pair for the gain on the right and one matched pair for the output on the left.

I don't know this to be fact, just stating the popular opinion. Your tube listening mileage may vary.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back