Schiit Freya Impressions and Tube Rolling Thread
Sep 22, 2017 at 5:17 PM Post #916 of 3,234
Sep 23, 2017 at 12:49 AM Post #918 of 3,234
I bought mine from www.thetubecenter.com, but they don't have them anymore. Search for "8 pin socket saver". You do not want just sockets. Make sure they look like this:
http://www.partsconnexion.com/socket_saver.html .
Enlarge the picture and you will see that socket savers have small slots on both sides of the pin hole. It makes it much easier to insert and remove the tubes.

Are there any significant differences between the ones sold over @ Ebay from Hong Kong/Chinese vendors and U.S/CAD online stores? They all look the same, judging by the photos. Probably all made in China?

Regards

Sep 23, 2017 at 1:04 AM Post #919 of 3,234
Are there any significant differences between the ones sold over @ Ebay from Hong Kong/Chinese vendors and U.S/CAD online stores? They all look the same, judging by the photos. Probably all made in China?

Regards

Can't answer your question first hand, but IIRC someone in this thread did buy some that don't fit the holes in freya. Don't recall where, but ones that don't fit do exist.
I got the ones from partsconnexion (TS-8) and they fit fine.

Sep 24, 2017 at 7:23 AM Post #921 of 3,234
Would the Saga be a more compatible option (vs. Freya) if attempting to use a ECC88 (6922) tube with a ECC88 to 6SN7 adapter?
Thanks!
The plate voltage on Feya is too high for the small tubes. The nine pin tubes will arc.
Apparently it is theoretically possible in Saga but the mu values are quite different and will probably sound quite poorly. I saw no reason to try it myself.

Edit and Shameless Plug: You may want to read the Saga Tube rolling Thread

Last edited:
Sep 24, 2017 at 8:34 AM Post #922 of 3,234
The plate voltage on Feya is too high for the small tubes. The nine pin tubes will arc.
Apparently it is theoretically possible in Saga but the mu values are quite different and will probably sound quite poorly. I saw no reason to try it myself.

Edit and Shameless Plug: You may want to read the Saga Tube rolling Thread

Ahhh.. thanks so much for the detailed info...
I am subscribed to the Saga Tube Rolling Thread and following since the beginning, .... actually have bought a pair (thinking of Freya) of RCA 6SN7GTB back in March already in anticipation of either a Freya or Saga...
This thing is I have a lot of various nice 6922's - so was hoping maybe someone had already tried this... (already bought a pair of adapters also..)

Anyway - thanks again for the info... I need go Google "mu values" now...jejejejeje :wink:

Sep 25, 2017 at 1:00 AM Post #925 of 3,234
Thoughts about using the Freya in middle of Yggdrasil and Ragnarok? Will it add tube-coloration that Ragnarok alone does not? Thanks!
If you are wanting to add the 'tube' sound I would consider a tube buffer instead. Two components with gain will be tricky to control.

Sep 25, 2017 at 3:25 PM Post #927 of 3,234
Whats the best way to remove tube socket savers if you need to? They sure are a tight fit.
Someone may well have other suggestions but I'm simply considering them a permanent part of the pre. They are tight so the only way I believe I would get mine out would be by removing the top (voiding the warranty). I can think of no reason I would want to remove them and if I sell it I'll simply include them in the sale.

Sep 25, 2017 at 4:09 PM Post #928 of 3,234
Someone may well have other suggestions but I'm simply considering them a permanent part of the pre. They are tight so the only way I believe I would get mine out would be by removing the top (voiding the warranty). I can think of no reason I would want to remove them and if I sell it I'll simply include them in the sale.

This worked perfectly for me: https://eshop.macsales.com/item/NewerTech/TOOLIPOD/

Had it laying around and it thin enough to slide down the center shaft of the socket saver and start lifting it up from the Freya board. Also less than a $1.

Sep 25, 2017 at 6:10 PM Post #929 of 3,234
Best tubes for the Freya listening strictly to classical music, much with vocals?

Several pairs 6SN7GT TungSol black oval (round) plates, blackglass which I personally like a lot
Several pairs 6SN7W JAN Sylvania blackplate clearglass, black base, heavy top getter which seems to work well in the gain stage for classical music
Several pairs 6SN7GT - VT-231 JAN RCA, blackplate greyglass, I plan on using these mainly on the output stage (left two tubes)
One pair coming of 6SN7GT - VT-231 JAN Sylvania, blackplate clearglass, bottom getter, medium glass

Several pairs Sylvania 6SN7GTA (Chrome Top) which I do not like even in the output stage, although better than the stock tubes
One pair 6H8C phony Russian Military nickel base which does not do a great job even on the output stage

Which tubes would you guys suggest for the gain and output stage? Feel free to suggest other which I have not listed.

I have a GUNGNIR MULTIBIT Dac, Wyred 4 sound ST-500 amp, and upgraded Maggie 1.7 speakers.

I'm in the process of rolling the below tubes in the different stages. Haven't yet put my thoughts down to see which tube pairs I prefer. All are matched pairs.

For the output stage, I plan on using new stock Electro-Harmonix 6SN7 (with the two pairs of Schiit 6H8Cs as backups)
For the input stage, I'm planning on pairs of Tung Sol NOS 6SN7GT black oval, round plate (hopefully soon to be delivered); RCA NOS red base 5692; and Sylvania NOS VT231.

I do plan on testing the "better" tubes in the output stage along with the input stage. Don't know that I'm clever enough or observant enough to discern a difference, but it will be fun project.

Sep 25, 2017 at 6:31 PM Post #930 of 3,234

Users who are viewing this thread

Back