Schiit Freya Impressions and Tube Rolling Thread
Sep 14, 2017 at 5:29 PM Post #886 of 3,234
Are you sure you're getting no sound at all in passive mode? Tube mode gain is 14dB - passive is considerably quieter.
If I'm getting anything out of passive mode, I'm not hearing it. I switched to tube mode, got it at a reasonable volume (high noon), then switched to the other two modes and moved the pot from 12 all the way to full volume and I couldn't hear anything in passive or jfet. I'm just trying to understand how those outputs could go dead but I can still output tube.

Sep 14, 2017 at 5:49 PM Post #887 of 3,234
Are you using balanced inputs? Freya can only output balanced signal with balanced input in passive and JFET modes.

Sep 14, 2017 at 5:54 PM Post #888 of 3,234
Are you using balanced inputs? Freya can only output balanced signal with balanced input in passive and JFET modes.
Well now I feel stupid. I switched out DACs when I was making this change and just used a pair of RCA cables I had handy. I just re-read the manual and it's there, not very clearly or mentioned in the FAQ, but it's there at #2 of the connections page. Thanks for relieving me that my Schiit was broken.

Sep 14, 2017 at 6:55 PM Post #890 of 3,234
Delete.

Sep 14, 2017 at 7:01 PM Post #891 of 3,234
Glad I could help :)
Here's hoping you solve it quickly.

Certainly wouldn't recommend anyone else bypassing the attenuation a pre-amp offers to go directly from Yggdrasil to Vidar to speakers. My speaker that had been connected began to smoke. There may be two issues, one with my Yggy and the other a loose or ground connection in my speaker. The two don't get along well. Vidar never went into thermal protection mode. Again, 4 Ohm speaker in monoblock configuration so that couldn't have helped.

I'm working to repair/replace the speaker that was acting up. Unsure if it's directly related to being connecting to the bad Yggy out, to be clear through the Freya, not just in the short test I ran to isolate earlier. There was a hum in the speaker that is not present in the other. I only noticed it after getting the Vidar and all its power, but am unsure if it was there before or if it was caused by Yggy's out.

Either way, I hope to have a like-new system in the next week or so.

Last edited:
Sep 14, 2017 at 8:14 PM Post #892 of 3,234
Certainly wouldn't recommend anyone else bypassing the attenuation a pre-amp offers to go directly from Yggdrasil to Vidar to speakers. My speaker that had been connected began to smoke. There may be two issues, one with my Yggy and the other a loose or ground connection in my speaker. The two don't get along well. Vidar never went into thermal protection mode. Again, 4 Ohm speaker in monoblock configuration so that couldn't have helped.

I'm working to repair/replace the speaker that was acting up. Unsure if it's directly related to being connecting to the bad Yggy out, to be clear through the Freya, not just in the short test I ran to isolate earlier. There was a hum in the speaker that is not present in the other. I only noticed it after getting the Vidar and all its power, but am unsure if it was there before or if it was caused by Yggy's out.

Either way, I hope to have a like-new system in the next week or so.
Connecting directly to a DAC is not uncommon - but you have to watch the input volume as the Yggy has no volume control. I actually ran directly from my Gungnir Multibit for a few weeks while I waited for the Freya to get back in stock.

Sep 16, 2017 at 6:59 AM Post #894 of 3,234
Freya can only output balanced signal with balanced input in passive and JFET modes.
The way I read this is that.. if I was using a set of XLR balanced inputs, then the Freya could not output a balanced signal through its XLR outputs when in tube mode.
I think maybe this info is missing some RCA/SE qualifiers in the statement?

Sep 16, 2017 at 7:19 AM Post #895 of 3,234
In context, answering the post above it makes sense but yeah, I can see how that would lead to confusion.

Simple explanation:

Passive/JFET: rca in rca out only. Xlr in rca/xlr out.
Tube: rca in rca/xlr out. Xlr in rca/xlr out.

Sep 16, 2017 at 10:53 AM Post #896 of 3,234
Enjoying the Freya , wondering when the 6sn7 LISST tubes will be available . I like the Jfet mode the best as I'm getting a little too much
tube noise for my liking . Funny thing is if I start the Freya in jfet mode and then switch to tube mode, there is very little tube noise but if
I start the Freya in tube mode , that's when I get the most tube noise . Has anyone else noticed this ? So I make sure to end the listening
session and turn the Freya off when it's in jfet mode .

Has anyone tried some of the more expensive new production tubes like the Northern Electric, Shuangang Treasure , Sophia , etc and
how has the tube noise been ? I'm using new production Tung-Sols right now .

Sep 16, 2017 at 12:58 PM Post #897 of 3,234
My Freya stays in tube mode all the time and I have had no trouble with tube noise at all. I have a pair of Northern Electric tubes on the gain side. I'm very pleased with them.

Sep 16, 2017 at 1:14 PM Post #898 of 3,234
Same. Always in tube mode and no noise. Tube roll a variety of 6F8G, 6SN7 and 7N7 in gain. Currently it's 1960 Raytheon 6SN7 and have standardized on Ken-Rad 6C8G for the output buffer.

I will repeat myself with strongly recommending the use of socket savers. Using them raises the socket level to the top of the Freya which corrects what I consider to be the major design flaw of the Freya. Even if you don't tube roll, you will have to replace your tubes at some point. Plus it moves the heat away from the PC board.

Sep 16, 2017 at 1:26 PM Post #899 of 3,234
Same. Always in tube mode and no noise. Tube roll a variety of 6F8G, 6SN7 and 7N7 in gain. Currently it's 1960 Raytheon 6SN7 and have standardized on Ken-Rad 6C8G for the output buffer.

I will repeat myself with strongly recommending the use of socket savers. Using them raises the socket level to the top of the Freya which corrects what I consider to be the major design flaw of the Freya. Even if you don't tube roll, you will have to replace your tubes at some point. Plus it moves the heat away from the PC board.
I too highly recommend the use of socket savers with the Freya. It runs considerably cooler with them.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back