Schiit Fire and Save Matches! Bifrost Multibit is Here.
Mar 23, 2017 at 11:00 AM Post #2,611 of 2,799
I don't buy burn in. Obviously warmed up bimby will be better than cold, but I haven't heard a change in the sound in the year it's been multibit.

Dunno. When I got my multibit upgrade, it sounded a bit harsh at first, next day smoother, next day stabilized to what I'm still enjoying. Maybe my hearing just got used to it, except that I listened to the same music through several other systems then and since, so habituation is not so easy to assume.

Mar 23, 2017 at 11:42 AM Post #2,612 of 2,799
  Dunno. When I got my multibit upgrade, it sounded a bit harsh at first, next day smoother, next day stabilized to what I'm still enjoying. Maybe my hearing just got used to it, except that I listened to the same music through several other systems then and since, so habituation is not so easy to assume.

So, like, a 2h burn in?
rolleyes.gif

Mar 23, 2017 at 3:58 PM Post #2,613 of 2,799
I leave mine on all the time and it only takes 10 minutes of music playback for it to sound the way it should

Mar 27, 2017 at 9:24 PM Post #2,616 of 2,799
  Just got my Bifrost Multibit.  In audio setup, what format should I select for an output?  The dac is defaulting to 2ch 16-bit 48khz.

The sample rate s/b 44.1 or 48K according to the sample rate of the input; the 16/24 bit selection is up to you and YMMV.  Anything higher than 24 bit is pointless.  If the input sr is higher than 44.1 or 48 you should usually match the input sr, but again, YMMV.

Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
Mar 27, 2017 at 9:36 PM Post #2,617 of 2,799

The sample rate s/b 44.1 or 48K according to the sample rate of the input; the 16/24 bit selection is up to you and YMMV.  Anything higher than 24 bit is pointless.  If the input sr is higher than 44.1 or 48 you should usually match the input sr, but again, YMMV.

Thank you for the quick response, I greatly appreciate it (and for designing these products).  

I feel 24-bit sounds better than 16 with very high quality recordings, but I tend to believe that's just placebo.  But then again, I used to think 8 bit vs. 16bit was pure placebo until I discovered I am able to repeatedly pass the 8 bit vs. 16 bit double blind test with in excess of 95% confidence level (even though I can't articulate why one sample sounds better than the next; it just does).  So who knows.  Regardless, I am enjoying the DAC and Asgard 2 amp.   

Mar 27, 2017 at 11:17 PM Post #2,618 of 2,799

I am enjoying the DAC and Asgard 2 amp.   

Bifrost multibit>Asgard 2 is a very nice combo. Upgraded my Asgard 2 to a Jotunheim for its balanced output, but if the Jot had not appeared, I'd still be enjoying my Asgard 2.

Mar 27, 2017 at 11:26 PM Post #2,619 of 2,799
  Bifrost multibit>Asgard 2 is a very nice combo. Upgraded my Asgard 2 to a Jotunheim for its balanced output, but if the Jot had not appeared, I'd still be enjoying my Asgard 2.

I have owned and heard a lot of high end gear.  And probably more importantly, I have spent 10,000 hours+ sitting in front of Steinway pianos both solo and playing with other musicians.  I know what acoustic music sounds like, and my HD650 through this combo gets me as close as I have ever heard.  And it does it for 1/10th of the price of comparable systems I have heard.

I will still eventually buy "higher end" equipment such as the Yggy of course - but that is because I am a curious idiot, a gear-head, and I like pretty cases.  But I seriously doubt I will be able to obtain better sound quality to the point where I can perceive a difference.

Mar 28, 2017 at 12:01 AM Post #2,620 of 2,799

I have owned and heard a lot of high end gear.  And probably more importantly, I have spent 10,000 hours+ sitting in front of Steinway pianos both solo and playing with other musicians.  I know what acoustic music sounds like, and my HD650 through this combo gets me as close as I have ever heard.  And it does it for 1/10th of the price of comparable systems I have heard.

I will still eventually buy it of course - but that is because I am a curious idiot, a gear-head, and I like pretty cases.  But I seriously doubt I will be able to obtain better sound quality to the point where I can perceive a difference.

I'm not a pro like you, but I listen to lots of acoustic live music, mainly jazz but also some classical. I "think" the Jot sounds even better than the Asgard 2, but it might well be a delusion or just the effect of poorly matched volume when comparing them. In any case, either amp has got me so close to what I hear in live concerts that except for being also a gear-head, I should leave it alone for the next decade and just enjoy the music. Just now listening to "Figure Absente," a track in Louis Sclavis's latest ECM release "Asian Fields Variations." There's so much there including musician breathing and instrument handling, it's just like being on the front row at SFJAZZ (my favorite place).

Mar 28, 2017 at 3:35 AM Post #2,621 of 2,799
  ... Louis Sclavis's latest ECM release "Asian Fields Variations." There's so much there including musician breathing and instrument handling, it's just like being on the front row at SFJAZZ (my favorite place).

Thanks for the listening tip...altho' not on Tidal HiFi yet. His Le Phare recording quality is superb...great detail. 

Mar 28, 2017 at 9:34 AM Post #2,622 of 2,799

I feel 24-bit sounds better than 16 with very high quality recordings, but I tend to believe that's just placebo. 

My theory is that when mixers and masterers are under the impression they're working in "high resolution", they tend not to brickwall the **** out of everything and actually mix things properly. It's placebo to the mixer and masterer, not the listener.

The mix to Neil Young's Le Noise is completely different on Blu Ray than it is on CD.

Mar 28, 2017 at 3:11 PM Post #2,623 of 2,799

Thanks for the listening tip...altho' not on Tidal HiFi yet. His Le Phare recording quality is superb...great detail. 

ECM does not allow streaming, just purchased digital downloads, so I don't think it will show up on Tidal ever.

Mar 28, 2017 at 3:39 PM Post #2,624 of 2,799
  ECM does not allow streaming, just purchased digital downloads, so I don't think it will show up on Tidal ever.

Ok...thank-you for the heads-up. Will have to put it on my purchase list.

Apr 14, 2017 at 1:59 PM Post #2,625 of 2,799
Let me start by saying that in the last year I have made several upgrades in headphones and amps and finding it difficult sometimes to hear where the money had gone.  Most recently my go-to rig was the PC>JRiver>Jotunheim/DAC>LCD-3f's.  A little over a week ago, I received my Bimby.  Out of all gear acquisitions so far, no single component has brought more to my listening experience than Schiit's multibit special sauce.  

My Question... And I know that the answer is here somewhere, but hidden within nearly 2000 posts of this thread.  

I have seen several mentions of leaving the Bifrost powered 24 hours a day, but the recommendation is never accompanied by an explanation.  Should I leave it powered all of the time?  Why?  Am I going to notice a real world difference if instead I power it up and listen within minutes?

Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back