Schiit Fire and Save Matches! Bifrost Multibit is Here.
May 18, 2016 at 10:31 PM Post #2,056 of 2,799
That's why I prefer R2R DACs with good implementation. or D-S that resembles an good R2R DAC like Chord DAC products (DAVE, Mojo) minus the Hugo.

May 21, 2016 at 2:07 AM Post #2,057 of 2,799
I was pretty skeptical that messing with the digital source for my Bimby could make much of a difference, but I've been burning in a Sonore microRendu Ethernet->USB streamer with a Teddy Pardo PS in place of my previous SOtM sMS-100 streamer with the same PS feeding a Bel Canto mLink USB>coax converter/reclocker. After 50h of burn-in (100h recommended), wow! Listening to Midori on BWV 1003 (Bach Partitas & Sonatas for Solo Violin on Onyx 48/24 FLAC from HDTracks), and I'm blown away by the immediacy of the sound, all the subtleties of the instrument and bowing flowing right here, even the occasional roughness of bow against strings and her handling of the instrument. Like a veil removed. Sonore's claim for the microRendu is that carefully partitioned power distribution for the different circuits, and removal of unused generic hardware and software from the ARM core running the microRendu work together with a good PS to minimize jitter and electrical noise injection. Well, at least subjectively it seems to really work. 
Update: It keeps getting better, especially in the reproduction of drums (oh the cymbals!) and bass in jazz; it's also more revealing of the subtle "beat" between different tones in the sax and piano, for instance. The improvement from this source change is not as much as from Uber -> Multibit, but it's definitely worth having, it took my Bimby>Asgard 2>Alpha Prime system to a whole new level. The lesson I'm drawing from this is that our DACs are fighting an uneven battle with computer sources made with cheap mass-market parts, inadequate power supplies, and overweight software that all generate electrical and timing irregularities. Even the sMS-100 that I replaced with the microRendu was based on a mass-market ARM board, and the Bel Canto mLink I had installed downstream of the sMS-100 was not enough to fully block the cr*p, maybe because it's powered by the USB cable.

May 25, 2016 at 9:22 PM Post #2,058 of 2,799
Finally got my Bimby yesterday, after reading about it for so long.

I listened to it for a few hours yesterday, comparing it with my veteran North Start Design Essensio DAC, which I now have listed in the For Sale section (unless I change my mind).

The chain is AK100ii optical out -> Bimby / Essensio -> Corda Classic -> HE-500 / TH-X00.

The Essensio is an excellent desktop DAC, one of the best I ever heard. It is of similar size to the Bimby, and also SE only.

My initial impressions of the comparison are:
  1. Bimby immediately sounded lively. A real edge to the sound, very dynamic.
  2. Bimby is very detailed, and I immediately noticed little nuances in music that is just not as apparent in the Essensio DAC (or the AK100ii's DAC).
  3. Treble and bass both nicely extended, treble detail is excellent in particular.
  4. There is however something a bit rough around the high mids. It becomes particularly apparent with some vocals, especially male. I hope that this will change with time but I'm a burn-in skeptic.
  5. The Essensio is defintely smoother sounding, but less detailed.

I might also note that I had a chance to do a short comparison between the Bimby and the Gumby at the shop where I picked it up. The Bimby was fresh out of the box while the Gumby was used for a while (but both were turned on only minutes before the audition). I was surprised to find that I preferred the sound of the Bimby. The Gumby reminded me of the Essensio - it was defintely smoother sounding but didn't sound as lively as the Bimby. Again, this was only about 15 minutes of test but I was quite surprised to find that I preferred the Bimby.

If the high mids tonality gets sorted somehow, I can see it being my main DAC for years to come.

I might post some further notes and a more detailed comparison after a while.

May 25, 2016 at 9:31 PM Post #2,059 of 2,799

1. There is however something a bit rough around the high mids. It becomes particularly apparent with some vocals, especially male. I hope that this will change with time but I'm a burn-in skeptic.
  2. The Essensio is defintely smoother sounding, but less detailed.

You might be disappointed that Bimby will sound smooth after burn-in. Vocals won't sound harsh or digital after the thermal equilibrium while soundstage becomes even more holographic. Burn-in effect in multibit DACs are a real thing, but subtle in delta sigma DACs. Make sure to keep Bimby turned on 24/7 for best results.

May 25, 2016 at 10:06 PM Post #2,060 of 2,799

You might be disappointed that Bimby will sound smooth after burn-in. Vocals won't sound harsh or digital after the thermal equilibrium while soundstage becomes even more holographic. Burn-in effect in multibit DACs are a real thing, but subtle in delta sigma DACs. Make sure to keep Bimby turned on 24/7 for best results.

That was exactly my experience too. When I got my multibit-upgraded Bifrost, it needed several days for that roughness to go away. Once it is burned in, it gets back to its operating condition much faster, but as you say I leave mine on all the time except when I'm away for long periods, when I turn off and unplug all my nice audio gear in case power does something weird.

I wonder if the need for burn-in comes from using DAC R2R chips that were designed for always-on precision settings like MRI machines.

May 25, 2016 at 10:44 PM Post #2,061 of 2,799

Thanks, yes I'm aware it might be different with multibits, and this is my first non-DS DAC. I've adhered to the advice of leaving it on, and it is now sitting home alone waiting for me to do some further listening this evening. By the time I get back home from work it would have been on for over 24 hours, so I'm curious to see how it'll sound.

May 26, 2016 at 1:40 AM Post #2,062 of 2,799
I had a burned in BiFrost Uber that I had upgraded to Bimby. I wonder if the Multibit needs burning in again? I had been leaving it off. When switched on it would sound much better after an hour. I just leave it on 24/7 now. Mine never gets warm. Am I half burned in?

May 26, 2016 at 3:08 AM Post #2,063 of 2,799
As far as I understand it Schiit send their products out already burn't in.
By leaving it turned on you're letting the unit reach thermal equilibrium and if you turn it off I guess you will loose that. 
It me took a week of being left on to reach a point where I got the 3D holographic sound people were talking about.

May 26, 2016 at 3:32 AM Post #2,064 of 2,799
By leaving it turned on you're letting the unit reach thermal equilibrium and if you turn it off I guess you will loose that.
It me took a week of being left on to reach a point where I got the 3D holographic sound people were talking about.

The in-house burn-in is of a different nature: they screen devices for electronics failures within first 24-48h or so of operation... I think not even the Ragnarok or Yggy gets anything like 170h of burn-in. The burn-in for improved sonic performance is what users usually do by themselves once they receive the gear, and the usual reports are of ~7 days of continuous operation with real music.

May 26, 2016 at 1:13 PM Post #2,065 of 2,799
My Bimby sounds pretty holographic with my microZOTL and Ether-C's.

May 29, 2016 at 6:49 AM Post #2,066 of 2,799
After a few days, it definitely seems clear that the sound changes significantly. And generally for the better.

The hump in the high mids seems to have cleared, and the sound sounds much more cohesive top to bottom. It is still beautifully detailed, for example in setting the ambiance of a recording studio or a live stage performance - better resolution of the echo voices and instruments leave behind.

It's also a nice reminder for me of just how resolute the HE-500 can sound. Very much enjoying this right now.

May 29, 2016 at 6:09 PM Post #2,067 of 2,799

It's also a nice reminder for me of just how resolute the HE-500 can sound. Very much enjoying this right now.

I still don't understand why they had to stop making the HE-500. I understand the headband design issue, but still...a legendary phone they could have made for many years and still stands the test of time like the HD600/HD650s.

May 29, 2016 at 7:27 PM Post #2,068 of 2,799

I still don't understand why they had to stop making the HE-500. I understand the headband design issue, but still...a legendary phone they could have made for many years and still stands the test of time like the HD600/HD650s.

Absolutely agree. I'm using the hybrid pads and extra headband padding, and I have no comfort issues. I even got the strap but decided that the extra headband padding is more than enough for me to use it for hours upon hours with no comfort issue.

May 30, 2016 at 3:09 AM Post #2,069 of 2,799

Manufacturers don't burn in gear.  It takes weeks to complete for some pieces.  Keep the low-power stuff (including class D amps) on if you want good sound available at any time.  Cold gear gets to thermal equilibrium in a matter of hours, not days.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back