Schiit Fire and Save Matches! Bifrost Multibit is Here.
May 15, 2016 at 10:15 PM Post #2,026 of 2,799
So the bimby does have an advanced analog stage? Switching between a blu ray player and marantz cd on my modi uber i couldnt tell a dang difference. To me transports are pretty irrelevant imo). Just want the best analog output to my marantz 2015.

Sounds like multibit it is. To me..im not sure i understand the 24/7 burn in. I could definitely support running it 2-3 hrs before each listening session, but all day seems excessive to me...

May 16, 2016 at 3:09 AM Post #2,027 of 2,799
Sounds like multibit it is. To me..im not sure i understand the 24/7 burn in. I could definitely support running it 2-3 hrs before each listening session, but all day seems excessive to me...
Multibit DAC chips are apparently best when they stabilize thermally. I keep my Bimby on all the time except when I'm traveling.

May 16, 2016 at 8:26 AM Post #2,028 of 2,799
Can't find the exact quote here but Schiit recommends you leave it switched on 24/7.

I was getting fatiguing highs until it had been on for a week.

Not turned it off for months now and had no issues.

May 16, 2016 at 9:01 AM Post #2,029 of 2,799
Just leave it on 24x7. It doesn't consume any noticeable amount of power. And yes, this is what Schiit recommends for all their DACs.

May 16, 2016 at 1:32 PM Post #2,030 of 2,799
Surge protection. Surge protection. Surge protection.

I wonder how much Schiit will charge you if the power supply takes a hit.

May 16, 2016 at 1:38 PM Post #2,031 of 2,799

Well that is good advice, and how many of us turn off our refrigerator, our TV that is always on in standby mode, electric water heater, clock radio, electric toothbrush recharger, aquarium pumps, etc.

May 16, 2016 at 2:09 PM Post #2,032 of 2,799

Well that is good advice, and how many of us turn off our refrigerator, our TV that is always on in standby mode, electric water heater, clock radio, electric toothbrush recharger, aquarium pumps, etc.

This is what renters/homeowners insurance is for. Unplug if you remember, but a surge supressor or even a deluxe power filter won't do jack diddly if you have a direct strike.

May 16, 2016 at 4:57 PM Post #2,033 of 2,799
What's worse, where I live the power will go out for a split-second, come back on at brown-out levels, go out again, then come on normally.  That'll all take place in the span of 5 seconds or so and it'll happen multiple times in a row during our summer monsoon lightning storms.  I can hear my electronics screaming in pain during the process so I tend to just turn everything off in the summer when I'm not using it or not home.

May 16, 2016 at 6:46 PM Post #2,034 of 2,799
  DACs at the meet were Audio-gd DAC-19, Schiit Gumby and Schiit Yggy. Gumby and Yggy were different intensity levels of the Mike Moffat Burrito, and both were tasty 
biggrin.gif

::

I have owned a Bimby. I will own a Bimby again (probably March) and can compare against Mojo then, if you like?

I have, on my own, compared Gumby and Mojo, through a Liquid Carbon into headphones. Gumby was vastly better, IMHO YMMV ... yadda yadda yadda. Gumby had both a more balanced sound (Mojo was more forward on the higher frequencies) and more depth to each sound (Multibit doing its goodness). I never even got to comparing things like soundstage - just did not care much for the Mojo in that dual. Does that mean I'm going to throw away my Mojo, no. I'm going to keep my Mojo (FPGA) and all my mobile (Delta-Sigma) DAC/DAPs until something better happens.

Hi, I was just following up on this post to find out if you every had an opportunity to compare BiMBy to Mojo again?  Do you have any additional thoughts about how they compare?  You signature states that you still use the Mojo, so maybe you decided not to get a BiMBy?

Thanks!

May 16, 2016 at 7:08 PM Post #2,035 of 2,799
What's worse, where I live the power will go out for a split-second, come back on at brown-out levels, go out again, then come on normally.  That'll all take place in the span of 5 seconds or so and it'll happen multiple times in a row during our summer monsoon lightning storms.  I can hear my electronics screaming in pain during the process so I tend to just turn everything off in the summer when I'm not using it or not home.
I oversaw a UNIX mainframe in an area you describe. We always told the client to not only shut,down their computers, but to also unplug power from the wall. Just horrid lightning strikes in their area. No power conditioners helped at all. So they would unplug the power from the wall. But not the phone lines. A strike destroyed their system via the Modem plugged into their phone system. Ok youngsters, ask me what a Modem is :) I was having some static and power issues. I got A Supra power block and their power cables. Supra says it specifically protects against lightning strikes. It Solved all my power problems and holy cow 'all my gears' sound better as well. Unfortunately I now believe in high end cables.

May 16, 2016 at 7:19 PM Post #2,036 of 2,799
Hi, I was just following up on this post to find out if you every had an opportunity to compare BiMBy to Mojo again?  Do you have any additional thoughts about how they compare?  You signature states that you still use the Mojo, so maybe you decided not to get a BiMBy?

Thanks!
I have A Bimby and a Mojo. I spent several hours listening to each last night. Both feeding a microZotl2 SE amp with Ether-C phones. Both are remarkable and detailed and buzzword compliant. Bimby wins by a nose or so. A bit taller and wider soundstage.....what it comes down to is the BiFrost Multibit has more Gravitas than the Mojo. It is the exact adjective needed.

May 16, 2016 at 7:34 PM Post #2,037 of 2,799
^ Interesting..."gravitas" meaning fullness of tone or body???

May 16, 2016 at 7:40 PM Post #2,038 of 2,799
I think I quoted Fridge. Ok, I'm convinced. Since my Bimby remains cold to the touch after 3 days of running music, it will stay on 7/24. Perhaps this will be good practice towards owning a Yggy in the future :xf_eek:

May 16, 2016 at 8:15 PM Post #2,040 of 2,799
"Gravitas" can mean anything you like since it is not an audio term.  :L3000:
You bet. I 'coined' 'Gravitas' as an Audio Definition last year. It got past the committee and was approved. Use it as you please. :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back