Schiit Fire and Save Matches! Bifrost Multibit is Here.
Jan 25, 2016 at 5:24 PM Post #1,876 of 2,799
I'm experiencing a very weird issue which I cannot find resolution for anywhere in this thread or elsewhere on the Internet. I received a Bifrost Multibit a few weeks ago and I had been using it back and forth between the coaxial input and the USB (gen 2) input with a PC running Windows 7.

I went to use my Bifrost Multibit today with a MacBook Pro from 2013 running El Capitan with the USB input and it is not being recognized by the Mac. I tried both USB ports and still nothing. I also have a work-issued MacBook Air from 2015 running El Capitan that I tried it with and still nothing. I thought maybe it was the USB cable so I tried the same USB cable on my MacBook Pro again using my Bifrost Uber with the USB gen 1 input this time and voila, it was recognized immediately. I then tried my Bifrost Uber on my MacBook Air - also recognized immediately. I thought maybe the whole USB input on the Bifrost Multibit was dead so I tried it on my Windows PC again and it was immediately recognized and worked just as expected.

I could really use some help here with this one. I sent off an email to Schiit a few hours, but haven't heard back yet so I figured I'd post on here and see if I could get some help from any of you in the meantime. This really doesn't make any sense to me. Console.app has nothing of any use. When running a system report on my MacBook Pro with the Bifrost Multibit connected, it is not showing up under USB.

I should also add that every few times that I unplug and replug in the USB cable with the USB input selected, the Bifrost Multibit starts clicking rapidly, maybe 3 - 4 times per second.

I have tried resetting the SMC and disabling app nap. Neither fixed the issue.

Thanks in advance for any help!

Jan 25, 2016 at 5:30 PM Post #1,877 of 2,799
Okay a minor update. I have a cheap un-powered Monoprice USB hub. If I connect the hub to either MacBook, when I plug the Bifrost Multibit USB input into the hub, the Bifrost Multibit is recognized by the MacBook, BUT when I try listening to music, audio only comes through the left channel. 

Jan 25, 2016 at 7:42 PM Post #1,878 of 2,799
  what do you think about this bifrost MB review? it seems that the reviewer didnt hear any diffrence at all from other dacs he have  emotiva steatlh dc-1.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xBlADcpbxbg

i have the bifrost uber i dont know if the mb upgrade really worth it.

I went from Bifrost Uber to MB for me there was a significant reduction in distortion and it was more immersive so i am very pleased however people are different and so will place different emphasis on what is important in some ways you are lucky you dont hear much of a difference as then the equipment is secondary and just enjoying music is primary

Jan 25, 2016 at 7:49 PM Post #1,879 of 2,799
  I'm experiencing a very weird issue which I cannot find resolution for anywhere in this thread or elsewhere on the Internet. I received a Bifrost Multibit a few weeks ago and I had been using it back and forth between the coaxial input and the USB (gen 2) input with a PC running Windows 7.

I went to use my Bifrost Multibit today with a MacBook Pro from 2013 running El Capitan with the USB input and it is not being recognized by the Mac. I tried both USB ports and still nothing. I also have a work-issued MacBook Air from 2015 running El Capitan that I tried it with and still nothing. I thought maybe it was the USB cable so I tried the same USB cable on my MacBook Pro again using my Bifrost Uber with the USB gen 1 input this time and voila, it was recognized immediately. I then tried my Bifrost Uber on my MacBook Air - also recognized immediately. I thought maybe the whole USB input on the Bifrost Multibit was dead so I tried it on my Windows PC again and it was immediately recognized and worked just as expected.

I could really use some help here with this one. I sent off an email to Schiit a few hours, but haven't heard back yet so I figured I'd post on here and see if I could get some help from any of you in the meantime. This really doesn't make any sense to me. Console.app has nothing of any use. When running a system report on my MacBook Pro with the Bifrost Multibit connected, it is not showing up under USB.

I should also add that every few times that I unplug and replug in the USB cable with the USB input selected, the Bifrost Multibit starts clicking rapidly, maybe 3 - 4 times per second.

I have tried resetting the SMC and disabling app nap. Neither fixed the issue.

Thanks in advance for any help!

There have been reports of usb audio not working correctly with Capitan.  Assuming this is not a beta or prerelease, I would try to do a clean re-install of Capitan.  Then see if there have been any updates and apply them.  Also check your sound settings and perhaps try rebooting without the device connected and be sure to turn all power save off to see if maybe the device goes to sleep, but I doubt that is the issue.

Most of the posts about this issue were in the fall but a few still show up in Jan.

Am I glad I still run Yosemite, I always lag 6 -12 months for this exact reason.  That said, I have my own gremlins with Yosemite and some vendor drivers that did work now do not, and that was after a swap into a Win system.  Kinda weird that Win works fine and OSX, not so much, haha

Good luck sir

EDIT:  I just thought of something to get you back up to speed.  Go into disk utility and create about a 20-30gb partition on your system drive, then go to apple online and download yosemite.  Install to the new partition being careful you have identified it correctly.  Let Yosemite install and then reload your player software and boot to that partition when you want to listen to music.  I know pain in the ....., but at least you can use the dac.  Assuming it will work with Yosemite.  Bimby did for me with no issues.

MORE INFO : this link explains some of the frustration:    http://audiophilereview.com/cd-dac-digital/apple-messes-up-usb-30-audio-big-time.html

Jan 25, 2016 at 11:59 PM Post #1,880 of 2,799
Continue to use your best judgement as expecting large changes in the sound of your system by changing a decent DAC out for another decent DAC is pretty silly. Not to say there are not audible differences, but in my experience with a ton of DACs lead me to believe that the DAC is the last thing you should change unless you hear a ton of noise / distortion coming from your system.

For now it will probably be best to save your money and wait to hear the MB in person so you can make a more educated change to your system.

I heard advice like this and took it for far too long.

Changing from my old DAC to the BiMBy made a far greater difference than I was ready to believe - mostly because of advice like this.

Jan 26, 2016 at 6:05 AM Post #1,882 of 2,799

I went to use my Bifrost Multibit today with a MacBook Pro from 2013 running El Capitan with the USB input and it is not being recognized by the Mac. snip
The first thing I'd do is to zapp yer pram and do a restart with the Bimby already on and then start up the Mac.
Just to be sure it's not an easy to fix problem.

Also when the directory (similar to winblows registry) gets fragmented it can create 'confusion'.
And installing a new OS on top of an old OS will fragment your directory.

JJ

Jan 26, 2016 at 10:39 AM Post #1,883 of 2,799
First off those comparative listening sessions he showed on his video were only seconds long. Hopefully in reality he did much longer comparative sessions to make a valued judgement. Second, for me the main reason for purchasing the Bifrost Über two years ago was for my main 2 channel system and it made a massive improvement to that setup. I then decided to do the inexpensive upgrade to the 4490 and unquestionably heard a different DAC. My system now leaned to a warmer and stronger bass signature but still retained the detail and soundstage of the Über while removing the etched digital harshness that the Über exhibited. What I HEARD going from the 4490 prompted me to use it on another setup (a headphone setup) which meant that I needed to re-insert another DAC into my 2 channel system so I ordered a brand new Bifrost Multibit. Straight out of the box I immediately HEARD a completely different DAC yet again. Unquestionably a live like sound with impeccable instrument separation. An effortless sound that has elevated my 2 channel system to a highly satisfying level.

All things ARE equal, namely room acoustics and damping, amplification, cables and sources. The only components that changed were the DACS. To my ears, without a doubt I was able to hear differences between each DAC.

I haven't been able to seriously compare the 4490 and Multibit yet but I will, both as 2 channel and headphone in the near future. Who knows maybe headphone listening comparisons might not yield as much of a difference. We'll see.

Jan 26, 2016 at 11:41 AM Post #1,884 of 2,799
First off those comparative listening sessions he showed on his video were only seconds long. Hopefully in reality he did much longer comparative sessions to make a valued judgement. Second, for me the main reason for purchasing the Bifrost Über two years ago was for my main 2 channel system and it made a massive improvement to that setup. I then decided to do the inexpensive upgrade to the 4490 and unquestionably heard a different DAC. My system now leaned to a warmer and stronger bass signature but still retained the detail and soundstage of the Über while removing the etched digital harshness that the Über exhibited. What I HEARD going from the 4490 prompted me to use it on another setup (a headphone setup) which meant that I needed to re-insert another DAC into my 2 channel system so I ordered a brand new Bifrost Multibit. Straight out of the box I immediately HEARD a completely different DAC yet again. Unquestionably a live like sound with impeccable instrument separation. An effortless sound that has elevated my 2 channel system to a highly satisfying level.

All things ARE equal, namely room acoustics and damping, amplification, cables and sources. The only components that changed were the DACS. To my ears, without a doubt I was able to hear differences between each DAC.

I haven't been able to seriously compare the 4490 and Multibit yet but I will, both as 2 channel and headphone in the near future. Who knows maybe headphone listening comparisons might not yield as much of a difference. We'll see.

VERY interested to hear your thoughts. I'm (literally) about to press the BUY button on Bifrost MB for my 2-channel setup but would love to hear if you think it took your system to a level above the 4490.

Jan 26, 2016 at 12:08 PM Post #1,885 of 2,799
-That different DAC's can and do sound different from one another is no longer subject to any legitimate debate.

-The degree to which DAC's sound differently from one another (as perceived by listeners) is subjective and entirely subject to debate.

-That people have differing levels of hearing ability is not subject to debate.  Some people are smarter, some have better vision, some have a better sense of smell or taste, etc., etc.

-It is entirely possible that a particular user's system is not sufficiently resolving to reveal the sonic differences between DAC's, or may reduce the differences to such a level as to make the differences nearly indistinguishable.  My guess is the strong majority of the people that frequent this site have sufficiently decent gear that sonic differences in DAC's should be apparent (to varying degrees).  

-It is possible that some people don't really know what to listen for, or don't have the appropriate attention span, or are using demo music that does not illuminate the differences. 

So, IMHO, if someone does not hear any difference (or very, very little difference) between say, the Bimby and an ODAC, then some of the possible reasons are:

1. The listener does not have sufficient hearing ability (sorry, that is life, but I am sure you have other excellent qualities
bigsmile_face.gif
).  Back-handed 'golden ear' compliments from those that can't hear differences won't change this fact.

OR

2. The listener's gear is to blame (unlikely for most on this forum).

OR

3. Increase your focus/attention, choose different music.  If that does not work, see points 1 and 2 above.

Jan 26, 2016 at 12:30 PM Post #1,886 of 2,799
As I go through my music library nighty, I'm continually being blown away by the improvments I'm hearing. My he-560's most noticeably, it gives me the illusion that I'm not listening to headphones, but that of a fullsize system. That's what I'm hearing. I guess people vary what they hear, improvements or not. And I think the phones being used play a part in that as well. Cheers

Jan 26, 2016 at 12:44 PM Post #1,887 of 2,799
  -That different DAC's can and do sound different from one another is no longer subject to any legitimate debate.

-The degree to which DAC's sound differently from one another (as perceived by listeners) is subjective and entirely subject to debate.

-That people have differing levels of hearing ability is not subject to debate.  Some people are smarter, some have better vision, some have a better sense of smell or taste, etc., etc.

-It is entirely possible that a particular user's system is not sufficiently resolving to reveal the sonic differences between DAC's, or may reduce the differences to such a level as to make the differences nearly indistinguishable.  My guess is the strong majority of the people that frequent this site have sufficiently decent gear that sonic differences in DAC's should be apparent (to varying degrees).

-It is possible that some people don't really know what to listen for, or don't have the appropriate attention span, or are using demo music that does not illuminate the differences.

So, IMHO, if someone does not hear any difference (or very, very little difference) between say, the Bimby and an ODAC, then some of the possible reasons are:

1. The listener does not have sufficient hearing ability (sorry, that is life, but I am sure you have other excellent qualities
bigsmile_face.gif
).  Back-handed 'golden ear' compliments from those that can't hear differences won't change this fact.

OR

2. The listener's gear is to blame (unlikely for most on this forum).

OR

3. Increase your focus/attention, choose different music.  If that does not work, see points 1 and 2 above.

Very well put. I would also add that point 2 can also be affected by synergy. While some gear may individually be remarkable, in conjunction with a specific system upstream/downstream some gear may not shine, bringing down the whole system to the least common performer.

Personally I would love that those who do hear a difference (or even a significant one) to systematically list their DAC/amp/transducer combinations, as well as the transport used (USB | coax | optical). This way others, including those who do not hear difference, could try to emulate those systems and see if they can replicate the findings.

Jan 26, 2016 at 2:13 PM Post #1,888 of 2,799

Would very much like a comparison between the Multibit and 4490. I've always been curious but don't think most people have heard/own both.

Jan 27, 2016 at 8:14 AM Post #1,889 of 2,799
I just got my Bimby last night. Upgraded from the original M&M stack. I added the Lyr 2 some months ago. What a huge difference. I am running out of my MB Pro and using HE-400i and HD700s. This sounds like heaven to me. I have to hand it to Jason, superb quality on everything they produce. Very nicely done.
Just adding my 3 cents (a little extra for y'all)

Jan 27, 2016 at 9:22 AM Post #1,890 of 2,799
I got a nice surprise today, my Bifrost MB arrived 3 days sooner than expected. I moved the Bifrost 4490 out of my main system and put the MB in its place. Having a quick out of the box listen through my speaker system and it certainly sounds good. Quite a step up from the 4490. Anyway I'm just going to feed music through it 24/7 (switch to closed back headphones during the night) for the next 4 days and let it settle in before I do any detailed assessment.

How did you end up seeing this, Tuneslover ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back