Schiit Fire and Save Matches! Bifrost Multibit is Here.
Jan 23, 2016 at 4:54 PM Post #1,861 of 2,799

Maybe I'm wrong, but I'm assuming he meant powered speakers since he's asking how they work with a headphone amp?

If so, I use mine currently with a pair of JBL LSR305s on the desktop and it works quite well.

Oh!  Never mind.

But I do hear that the new Kii 3 speakers are fantastic.  And only the price of a new Kia Rio!

Jan 23, 2016 at 6:01 PM Post #1,862 of 2,799

I have a soft spot for Wharfedales (300ish, I think) and the new Elacs are supposed to be great at $259.

I have old Wharfedale Diamonds it seems they have a long history of value sound, Andrew Jones Elacs and Pioneers and Q acoustics all seem to be bargain music reproducers, there are so many good sub $1K ones around now it seems, I don't envy anyone trying to find their "best" buy.
I wimped out and bought LS50.
redface.gif

Maybe I'm wrong, but I'm assuming he meant powered speakers since he's asking how they work with a headphone amp?

He did mention LS50s which are not...

For that kind of money (6k euros for a DAC on a stick)  ...

And that's just for 16/44.1 coax input; power supply,Toslink, other rates and "Jitter Scrambling Decorrelator" (?) are extraJitter Scrambling Decorrelatoritter Scrambling Decorrelatoritter Scrambling Decorrelator

Jan 24, 2016 at 2:12 AM Post #1,863 of 2,799

I have a soft spot for Wharfedales (300ish, I think) and the new Elacs are supposed to be great at $259.

I have old Wharfedale Diamonds it seems they have a long history of value sound, Andrew Jones Elacs and Pioneers and Q acoustics all seem to be bargain music reproducers, there are so many good sub $1K ones around now it seems, I don't envy anyone trying to find their "best" buy.
redface.gif

He did mention LS50s which are not...

Indeed. I was actually wondering which amp could I pair with the Elacs B6? Sure I'd love to get a Ragnarok for that, but at 1.7K its pricing is more consistent with a pair of LS50s than a 300$ speaker...

Jan 24, 2016 at 2:32 AM Post #1,865 of 2,799

Indeed. I was actually wondering which amp could I pair with the Elacs B6? Sure I'd love to get a Ragnarok for that, but at 1.7K its pricing is more consistent with a pair of LS50s than a 300$ speaker...

I got a Rega Brio-R for my LS50, it was a combination I had seen reviewed together a number of times, I don't have the opportunity or inclination to listen to lots of candidates (and it does my head in).
blink.gif

(...and I saw the Brio-R on special 
smile.gif
)

Jan 24, 2016 at 5:56 AM Post #1,866 of 2,799

Yeah a Ragnarok would be nice, I am powering the B6's with a Emotiva Fusion Flex. The Mini X a100 is also an option. Emotiva told me they are the the same amp but but the fusion flex has the remote and extra input. There is more than enough power for the B6's

Jan 24, 2016 at 12:44 PM Post #1,867 of 2,799
redface.gif

Uh, oh, on the KEF slippery slope. Do not, repeat, DO NOT, listen to KEF Reference models. 

Jan 24, 2016 at 3:24 PM Post #1,869 of 2,799
They're nice speakers, very refined, but they never did much for me to be honest. Too polite.

Maybe, although Bassekou Kouyaté's "Ba Power" that I'm listening to on my Reference 1s right now sounds anything but polite: the voices are breathy, the strings sharp, the drums driving.

Jan 25, 2016 at 10:14 AM Post #1,871 of 2,799
what do you think about this bifrost MB review? it seems that the reviewer didnt hear any diffrence at all from other dacs he have  emotiva steatlh dc-1.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xBlADcpbxbg

i have the bifrost uber i dont know if the mb upgrade really worth it.

Jan 25, 2016 at 10:25 AM Post #1,872 of 2,799
  what do you think about this bifrost MB review? it seems that the reviewer didnt hear any diffrence at all from other dacs he have  emotiva steatlh dc-1.

Everyone has an opinion, webcam and YouTube account these days....

Jan 25, 2016 at 1:07 PM Post #1,873 of 2,799

Continue to use your best judgement as expecting large changes in the sound of your system by changing a decent DAC out for another decent DAC is pretty silly. Not to say there are not audible differences, but in my experience with a ton of DACs lead me to believe that the DAC is the last thing you should change unless you hear a ton of noise / distortion coming from your system.

For now it will probably be best to save your money and wait to hear the MB in person so you can make a more educated change to your system.

Jan 25, 2016 at 1:53 PM Post #1,874 of 2,799

Continue to use your best judgement as expecting large changes in the sound of your system by changing a decent DAC out for another decent DAC is pretty silly. Not to say there are not audible differences, but in my experience with a ton of DACs lead me to believe that the DAC is the last thing you should change unless you year a ton of noise / distortion coming from your system.

This is one point of view, and not a very convincing one at that. Some will point out that it's pretty silly to expect two DACs that measure the same (or similarly, on some measures) to sound the same. There are other ways to ascertain DAC performance other than outright noise / distortion, e.g. listening fatigue.

For an extended discussion of what can make DACs sound different see:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/781268/the-diyrs-cookbook

Jan 25, 2016 at 3:09 PM Post #1,875 of 2,799

Appreciate the attention Schiit provided to looking into the frequency changing issue with Bifrost Multi. I was about to respond to Mike a few weeks ago with replication steps but my Bimby has since sorted itself out.  Cheers and keep making great Schiit!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back