Schiit Fire and Save Matches! Bifrost Multibit is Here.
Nov 28, 2015 at 6:36 PM Post #1,231 of 2,799

What kind of errors? There's always some sort of lowpass filtering involved after upsampling...

In particular the warning of this gent at the bottom, he mentions of no lowpass filter after upsampling. This is done before the DAC in the computer via plugin on Foobar. If the filter is indeed inactive when a 176/192 signal comes through, this could be an issue, yes?

Hi Ben,

All aliases that above 1/2 sample rate as input as output must be suppressed. Otherwise it will be mirrored to audible range:

http://samplerateconverter.com/content/how-convert-sample-rate-divide

http://samplerateconverter.com/content/how-convert-sample-rate-oversampling

Pro resampling algorithms has supresion level -160 ... -180 dB and more (for 32- and 64-bit float bit depth).

When you convert 24-bit and more to 16-bit, dither must be turned ON.

More about dithering in pictures:

http://samplerateconverter.com/content/what-dithering-audio

If you have anything in ultrasound frequency range, it may be shifted/mirrored to audible range too, due non-linearity analog part of apparatus.

Ultrasound components may appear due not proper filtration of DAC (as analog as digital).

Check shifting/mirroring troubles we can on hear with sweep sine 0 ... 1/2 sample rate of test signal.

We can check all components (player software - operation system driver - DAC) as system.

If system work properly we must hear only growing pure tone from zero to 17....20 kHz.

If we listen growing tone again (after disappearing sound at 17 .. 20 kHz) - it's shifted ultrasound. If we hear downward tone, it's mirroring.

Here need be careful with ultrasound. We don't hear it, but ultrasound can damage our ears.

Best regards,
Yuri

Nov 29, 2015 at 6:06 AM Post #1,234 of 2,799
I have Theta DSpro Basic III, which I heard was designed by one of Schiit Audio's founders before he had left Theta. It only accepts 44.1/48. How would Theta be compared to Bimby or Gimby in playing 16/44.1?

Nov 29, 2015 at 3:26 PM Post #1,235 of 2,799
  I have Theta DSpro Basic III, which I heard was designed by one of Schiit Audio's founders before he had left Theta. It only accepts 44.1/48. How would Theta be compared to Bimby or Gimby in playing 16/44.1?

Would probably be technically closer to the Gimby, but with a warmer fuller sound. The Bimby was described as warmer than the Gumby, but I haven't heard it personally, so can't say if the Basic III will be warmer still. Probably not.

I have the Gumby and the Theta DSPro Gen V. Prefer the later in my speaker setup. The midrange is fuller and the sound bigger. Might have to do with the higher output level of the Gen V (6V), which interacts differently with the Preamp. Not sure.

Nov 29, 2015 at 5:31 PM Post #1,236 of 2,799
I have the Theta DS Pro progeny v. A which still gets 90% of my listening time.

I just find it has a weightier sound which has been described in many posts going way back. The Bifrost MB might have the cleaner highs and better articulation with details but doesn't have the same kind of drive or authority of the Theta.

Soundstage and imaging is very similar between both. None of the congestion I heard of the Bifrost Uber is left in the MB. The only way you can tell if you will like it is to demo the Gumby or Bimby. I would say though that you are very well off if that is a Theta Pro Basic III A.

Notice if it has an A version at the end because that was the last significant upgrade done to most of the Theta product line.

EDIT: Listening to the 24-bit / 192khz digital master from analog of from Kind of Blue - Miles Davis - Flamenco Sketches makes the hairs stand up on my arms. And this is downsampled to 16-bit/44.1khz before going to my Theta.

Nov 29, 2015 at 7:21 PM Post #1,237 of 2,799
How does this DAC pair with HD800? I find that HD800 sounds too bright and digital in the treble with PCM1792. I assume that the delta sigma design of PCM1792 may have something to do with it, as HD800 is supposed to be ultra revealing and accurate. Does the Bifrost multibit make HD800 treble smoother and more natural?

Nov 29, 2015 at 9:42 PM Post #1,239 of 2,799

Would probably be technically closer to the Gimby, but with a warmer fuller sound. The Bimby was described as warmer than the Gumby, but I haven't heard it personally, so can't say if the Basic III will be warmer still. Probably not.

I have the Gumby and the Theta DSPro Gen V. Prefer the later in my speaker setup. The midrange is fuller and the sound bigger. Might have to do with the higher output level of the Gen V (6V), which interacts differently with the Preamp. Not sure.

Thank you for kind input!!!

Nov 29, 2015 at 10:38 PM Post #1,240 of 2,799
  How does this DAC pair with HD800? I find that HD800 sounds too bright and digital in the treble with PCM1792. I assume that the delta sigma design of PCM1792 may have something to do with it, as HD800 is supposed to be ultra revealing and accurate. Does the Bifrost multibit make HD800 treble smoother and more natural?

I think for the HD800, something like audio gd dac 19 (10th anniversary) might be better. It's also a multibit dac but it's smoother, fuller, and warmer than the Bimby. It's even more vinyl like. By comparison, the Bimby is more shouty and thin (note, by comparison). Even though, the Bimby is multibit, it still retains the Schiit house sound--forward and aggressive. It's great for dark headphones but not for bright headphones. 

Nov 30, 2015 at 1:00 AM Post #1,241 of 2,799
I just got my Bimby (so Bimby -> HiFiMan EF-5 -> HiFiMan HE-500).  At 3 hours I gave in and had a listen.  So far so good, will do some testing and report back on how the stack feels to me after more uptime.

The CMedia drivers did fail to install on Windows 10 (just kept telling me to plug in the device), but Windows recognized it anyway...

Nov 30, 2015 at 6:07 PM Post #1,242 of 2,799

I really like it with the (unmodded) HD800.  To my ears the Bifrost MB-Asgard 2-HD800 combo is musical and revealing without being harsh or bright.

Dec 1, 2015 at 2:28 AM Post #1,243 of 2,799
The Bifrost MB has been powered for 36 hours straight now and still sounding a little bright. Not overly harsh but causing some fatigue.

When I had the Modi 2 in this setup I didn't have this issue but I couldn't go back because i'ld missed the massive amount of extra detail.
Foobar2000 -> Bifrost Multi Bit -> Lyr 2-> 65 Amperex Holland Heerlen 7308/E188CC (Dumont re-label) -> Audeze LCD 2 Bamboo Carnivore (Fazor)

Going to try balancing things out with tube rolling but i'll be loath to give up those Dumonts....

Is this just something that comes with higher definition and your brain just adapts to it?
Funny enough I had the same thing with visuals when moving to HD from an CRT TV.
Found I was unable to watch a film all the way through back then.

Dec 1, 2015 at 5:27 AM Post #1,244 of 2,799
Definitely prefer the Multibit bifrost with my gustard u12 transport over usb 2 on the bifrost. The treble edge is much more natural now, imo ymmv. Bimby has over 200hrs after Multibit upgrade, for reference.

Also Baldr, I'm the second owner of these since it's had it's mb upgrade. Just yesterday I created a 3hr playlist of various sampling rates and bit depth and had that electrical buzzing distortion that was remedied by cycling input selection. Will Schiit allow me to send it back for proper tweaking/tuning or must the original owner do this?

Cheers
SGTM

Users who are viewing this thread

Back