Schiit Fire and Save Matches! Bifrost Multibit is Here.
Dec 1, 2015 at 10:00 AM Post #1,246 of 2,799
  The Bifrost MB has been powered for 36 hours straight now and still sounding a little bright. Not overly harsh but causing some fatigue.

When I had the Modi 2 in this setup I didn't have this issue but I couldn't go back because i'ld missed the massive amount of extra detail.
Foobar2000 -> Bifrost Multi Bit -> Lyr 2-> 65 Amperex Holland Heerlen 7308/E188CC (Dumont re-label) -> Audeze LCD 2 Bamboo Carnivore (Fazor)

Going to try balancing things out with tube rolling but i'll be loath to give up those Dumonts....

Is this just something that comes with higher definition and your brain just adapts to it?
Funny enough I had the same thing with visuals when moving to HD from an CRT TV.
Found I was unable to watch a film all the way through back then.

Give the bimby a few more days. I also found the treble fatiguing for the first 7 days or so, after which it seemed to smooth out.

Dec 1, 2015 at 10:39 AM Post #1,247 of 2,799
Definitely prefer the Multibit bifrost with my gustard u12 transport over usb 2 on the bifrost. The treble edge is much more natural now, imo ymmv. Bimby has over 200hrs after Multibit upgrade, for reference.

Also @Baldr, I'm the second owner of these since it's had it's mb upgrade. Just yesterday I created a 3hr playlist of various sampling rates and bit depth and had that electrical buzzing distortion that was remedied by cycling input selection. Will Schiit allow me to send it back for proper tweaking/tuning or must the original owner do this?

Cheers
SGTM

As far as Warranty this is form the Schiit Bifrost MB page.

"2-Year Warranty, Made in USA
Bifrost Multibit upgrades are covered by a 2-year warranty, or the balance of the original factory warranty, whichever is greater. For out-of-warranty Bifrosts, this re-activates the warranty on the complete product for 2 years. One caveat: Schiit may refuse to do upgrades on heavily modified products. Schiit-installed upgrades are not eligible for return. Like all Schiit products, the Bifrost Multibit upgrade is made in the USA. "

As far as the Issue with the distortion Contact Schiit support.
Baldr Says
"If there are any Bimby users with more than 100 hours on them which exhibit distortion when changing sampling rates that cure when inputs are cycled, please contact Schiit customer support."

Dec 1, 2015 at 10:42 AM Post #1,248 of 2,799

Give the bimby a few more days. I also found the treble fatiguing for the first 7 days or so, after which it seemed to smooth out.

This is what i'm hoping, cheers.

I know the comments earlier said you just have to leave it powered up but wondering if it would help to have sound playing too.
Might bung the LISSTS back in the LYR 2 so not to wear out tubes and leave it burning in with the Tom Waits discography on loop for a few days...

Dec 1, 2015 at 10:46 AM Post #1,249 of 2,799

I know the comments earlier said you just have to leave it powered up but wondering if it would help to have sound playing too.
Might bung the LISSTS back in the LYR 2 so not to wear out tubes and leave it burning in with the Tom Waits discography on loop for a few days...

Play something (I usually stream something off the internet) through the bimby continuously. You don't need to leave your amp on if you are not listening.

Dec 1, 2015 at 12:10 PM Post #1,250 of 2,799

No need for a signal. just turn it on and leave it on.  Forever.

Dec 1, 2015 at 1:16 PM Post #1,251 of 2,799
They will let you send it back for repairs, but it will come with a repair bill since you are not the original buyer.

...and from the feedback I've read, the repair costs are still extremely reasonable.

Dec 1, 2015 at 10:40 PM Post #1,252 of 2,799

The Bifrost MB has been powered for 36 hours straight now and still sounding a little bright. Not overly harsh but causing some fatigue.

When I had the Modi 2 in this setup I didn't have this issue but I couldn't go back because i'ld missed the massive amount of extra detail.
Foobar2000 -> Bifrost Multi Bit -> Lyr 2-> 65 Amperex Holland Heerlen 7308/E188CC (Dumont re-label) -> Audeze LCD 2 Bamboo Carnivore (Fazor)

Going to try balancing things out with tube rolling but i'll be loath to give up those Dumonts....

Is this just something that comes with higher definition and your brain just adapts to it?
Funny enough I had the same thing with visuals when moving to HD from an CRT TV.
Found I was unable to watch a film all the way through back then.

This.

Dec 1, 2015 at 10:44 PM Post #1,253 of 2,799
  How does this DAC pair with HD800? I find that HD800 sounds too bright and digital in the treble with PCM1792. I assume that the delta sigma design of PCM1792 may have something to do with it, as HD800 is supposed to be ultra revealing and accurate. Does the Bifrost multibit make HD800 treble smoother and more natural?

Ignore all alien orders - to "pair" a DAC with the rest of your equipment.

A DAC should be neutral and transparent.   (And the Multibit Bifrost is the most neutral and transparent DAC I've heard, but I have only heard a small fraction of what is out there.)

Pair your headphones with an amp - because an amp drives the headphones.  If you find the HD800 to be too bright (like 99% of people say), then perhaps pair it with a tube amp and try various tubes until one complements the HD800.   OR better yet, use a high quality digital EQ (like in Jriver MediaCenter music player) to take care of the problem.

Dec 2, 2015 at 1:31 AM Post #1,254 of 2,799
I think the Bifrost MB is more neutral and resolving than the Theta I own. I still prefer the Theta because it has a thicker and warmer sound, much like how people say about the DAC-19. I still feel like I should give the Bifrost MB more listening time. It's just that I have to switch cables and then change audio devices in my device manager and I'm too addicted to the Theta sound already. If the time comes I might sell the Bifrost MB to a more dedicated owner, not because it isn't a highly capable DAC but because I don't use it as much as I should.

Dec 6, 2015 at 1:42 AM Post #1,255 of 2,799
Know this might be a bit off. Has anyone here compared MB to Mojo or Hugo? Thanks

Dec 6, 2015 at 8:06 PM Post #1,257 of 2,799
Just upgraded bifrost uber to MB. if you have the budget just do it never have i heard a better DAC at this price range.
it is more tuneful, musical, immersive. better harmonies and melodies. live recordings feel live. oh nearly forgot drive and dynamics 
just got better. i am so amazed and as it runs in it is getter more fluid and smooth

Users who are viewing this thread

Back