Schiit Fire and Save Matches! Bifrost Multibit is Here.
Oct 2, 2015 at 7:08 PM Post #31 of 2,799
Iv'e been enjoying my Bifrost Uber since February with a Lyr2. What sonic changes should I expect with the Bifrost Multibit?
Oops, almost forgot. Will it take the 'edge' of a set of HD800's? Well you know someone is going to ask
redface.gif

Oct 2, 2015 at 7:34 PM Post #33 of 2,799
I mailed mine in for the MB upgrade. Should be arriving at Schiit on Tuesday. I had been looking at a DAC-19 snice i wanted to experience multibit. Hopefully this satisfies my itch.

Oct 2, 2015 at 8:09 PM Post #35 of 2,799
This sounds awesome. No idea when these will be available via dealers in the UK but ***** it, i'm in. Wanting to partner it with a Lyr 2 to get more out of my Beyer T5p. 

Great news. Well done Mike et al. 

Oct 2, 2015 at 8:09 PM Post #36 of 2,799
Already. Where are you on the Queue? I'm 5.

I was number 6 this morning. Got the RMA number within an hour. Shipped it out 2 hours later. The numbers likely shift upward as they issue the RMAs.

Oct 2, 2015 at 8:29 PM Post #38 of 2,799
I figured this was coming and have been waiting for it for a while. I ordered a Bifrost multibit.

However. When I read this, "...coupled to a precision Analog Devices AD5547CRUZ digital to analog converter—a D/A never before used in any other audio product" I certainly don't get warm and fuzzy inside. From what I can see, it looks like a $20 chip that has been available since 2010. Sooo uhhh you chose a 5 year old chip that no other manufacturer thought was worthy? Consider my eyebrow raised.

Oct 2, 2015 at 8:39 PM Post #39 of 2,799
I figured this was coming and have been waiting for it for a while. I ordered a Bifrost multibit.

However. When I read this, "...coupled to a precision Analog Devices AD5547CRUZ digital to analog converter—a D/A never before used in any other audio product" I certainly don't get warm and fuzzy inside. From what I can see, it looks like a $20 chip that has been available since 2010. Sooo uhhh you chose a 5 year old chip that no other manufacturer thought was worthy? Consider my eyebrow raised.

I thought about that as well. I don't think Moffat would design something that sucked, so I put my faith in his reputation. Think of it like this, we may have a unique product here.

Oct 2, 2015 at 8:40 PM Post #40 of 2,799

It was not designed for Audio applications (neither were Yggy's and Gumby's). Using these kind of chips for audio applications is not straight forward and require designing the proper "translation" interfaces. It takes a lot of development effort and technical skills (as well as "balls") to use these chips in an audio DAC.

The outcome? Possibly the best sounding DACs at their respective price points.

Most companies don't have the balls (or knowledge) to work around this kind of chips and rely on the (much) more accessible audio DAC chips (which are more often than not of the Delta-Sigma variety) and - more often than not - simply use the reference design found in the datasheet. "All DACs sound the same" they say...

Oct 2, 2015 at 8:49 PM Post #41 of 2,799
  It was not designed for Audio applications (neither were Yggy's and Gumby's). Using these kind of chips for audio applications is not straight forward and require designing the proper "translation" interfaces. It takes a lot of development effort and technical skills (as well as "balls") to use these chips in an audio DAC.

The outcome? Possibly the best sounding DACs at their respective price points.

Most companies don't have the balls (or knowledge) to work around this kind of chips and rely on the (much) more accessible audio DAC chips (which are more often than not of the Delta-Sigma variety) and - more often than not - simply use the reference design found in the datasheet. "All DACs sound the same" they say...

Yes, this is "thinking outside the box" stuff.

Oct 2, 2015 at 9:12 PM Post #42 of 2,799
Heh heh
Just broke the news to mine. All is good! 3 in the queue.
bigsmile_face.gif

I did not even finish the sentence and she knew I ordered. She says she always knew I would cheat one her with a machine and joked saying she will put that tramp out on the street( tramp = Bifrost MB). I said my truck is plenty big for both of us"( Me and the Bifrost)   Mr. Stoddard and Mr.Moffat,  You home wreckers.

How do you know what your queue number is?

Oct 2, 2015 at 9:16 PM Post #44 of 2,799
 I did not even finish the sentence and she knew I ordered. She says she always knew I would cheat one her with a machine and joked saying she will put that tramp out on the street( tramp = Bifrost MB). I said my truck is plenty big for both of us"( Me and the Bifrost)   Mr. Stoddard and Mr.Moffat,  You home wreckers.

How do you know what your queue number is?

You get an email with a link but it was very quick to get the return number for shipping in.

Oct 2, 2015 at 9:50 PM Post #45 of 2,799
Any news on a service centre in Australia? 

At this point in time it is almost the same cost to upgrade an uber to multibit than it is to buy a new and improved basic bifrost (which is already better than the uber).

Main cost here is shipping to and from Australia.

Perhaps there could be a bulk shipping option where Australian orders are combined and shipped to the US for upgrade and sent back at the same time? This would save cost on shipping per unit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back