Schiit Fire and Save Matches! Bifrost Multibit is Here.
Oct 3, 2015 at 6:23 AM Post #61 of 2,799
Any news on a service centre in Australia? 

At this point in time it is almost the same cost to upgrade an uber to multibit than it is to buy a new and improved basic bifrost (which is already better than the uber).

Main cost here is shipping to and from Australia.

Perhaps there could be a bulk shipping option where Australian orders are combined and shipped to the US for upgrade and sent back at the same time? This would save cost on shipping per unit.

+1
Maybe Addicted to Audio will do upgrades in Australia?

Oct 3, 2015 at 8:43 AM Post #62 of 2,799
Oct 3, 2015 at 8:57 AM Post #63 of 2,799
  grrr well this makes me really regret just spending $519 on a Bifrost Uber knowing I now need to spend $250 to upgrade when I could have not bought it and now get the maxed version for $599.....

so I pay like what $769 minus tax and shipping instead of $599 because I bought a few months early. Resale value on the Bifrost Uber just tanked as well with this announcement.

* sigh * Guess I just won't even bother and go cry in a corner.

A rebate of some sort would be really nice.I don't think I would feel nearly as bad if I'd had my Bifrost for years but I just got it a few months ago at the end of June when I finally bought my HD800's and the Schiit pairing for them.

Yeah people say the same thing about tech with how fast those upgrades happen but most likely the next Bifrost upgrade won't be for years so people who bought recently definitely are getting a tiny bit "shafted" at least in my opinion.

another note: I don't even think I can sell my Bifrost Uber for $399 now as the new lower tier Bifrost is better? So my $519 purchase instantly lost $120+ in value at least. For someone without a massive audio budget to just throw money around all the time, this leaves quite the negative impression of my experience with Schiit (yes illogical maybe but it still does Dx).

So you bought a DAC knowing that one of its selling points is it has the potential to be upgraded and now you're upset because a few months after your purchase they've offered a couple of new levels of performance upgrades as well as passing savings on to their customers? Did your DAC suddenly start sounding like poo because these upgrades are now available? If you feel one of the upgrades is necessary then save your pennies and get it done when you can afford to because honestly, there's very few pieces of audio gear that you aren't going to lose a significant amount of money on when reselling after a short time of ownership. I just sold a pair of high-end universal IEM's for about half of what I invested. If I sell my Concero HP I'm not likely to get much more than half of what they retail for. I think Schiit's upgradability philosophy and the fact that they're passing savings on to customers instead of pocketing it is an admirable quality that was a significant part of my deciding factor to buy their gear instead of something else.

Did you're 

Oct 3, 2015 at 10:34 AM Post #64 of 2,799
  A few clarifications and amplifications re Bifrost Multibit DAC (Bimby).  The DAC is indeed a four year old 16 bit converter which for the glib, may not be exicting.  Those with the patience to study (yes, study) the datasheet will be exited when they realize the performance meets/exceeds that of many competing 18 bit dac chips.  The mega combo burrito time and frequency domain filter is also implemented in a SHARC chip identical to its bigger brothers Gumby and Yggy.  This permits the perception of the spatial cues uniquely proper to the Schiit filter.  The filter is identical to its bigger brothers' with just one exception:  the output rate on the Bimbo is limited to 192KHz rather than 384KHz. Since the filter is cascaded, the required taps halve to 9000.  

Thank you so much for those details.  I love love love your openness with these sorts of details.

So here's the ask:  When can we expect a multichannel multibit DAC? :wink:

Oct 3, 2015 at 10:57 AM Post #66 of 2,799

Quote:

A rebate of some sort would be really nice.I don't think I would feel nearly as bad if I'd had my Bifrost for years but I just got it a few months ago at the end of June when I finally bought my HD800's and the Schiit pairing for them.

Yeah people say the same thing about tech with how fast those upgrades happen but most likely the next Bifrost upgrade won't be for years so people who bought recently definitely are getting a tiny bit "shafted" at least in my opinion.

another note: I don't even think I can sell my Bifrost Uber for $399 now as the new lower tier Bifrost is better? So my $519 purchase instantly lost $120+ in value at least. For someone without a massive audio budget to just throw money around all the time, this leaves quite the negative impression of my experience with Schiit (yes illogical maybe but it still does Dx).
Quote:
So you bought a DAC knowing that one of its selling points is it has the potential to be upgraded and now you're upset because a few months after your purchase they've offered a couple of new levels of performance upgrades as well as passing savings on to their customers? Did your DAC suddenly start sounding like poo because these upgrades are now available? If you feel one of the upgrades is necessary then save your pennies and get it done when you can afford to because honestly, there's very few pieces of audio gear that you aren't going to lose a significant amount of money on when reselling after a short time of ownership. I just sold a pair of high-end universal IEM's for about half of what I invested. If I sell my Concero HP I'm not likely to get much more than half of what they retail for. I think Schiit's upgradability philosophy and the fact that they're passing savings on to customers instead of pocketing it is an admirable quality that was a significant part of my deciding factor to buy their gear instead of something else.

Did you're 

It Sucks but the MB upgrade is not just a board swap so I would expect the to be the cost of labor as well as the parts in the price.As opposed to Manufacturing it to be an MB from the start. When you look at Electronics as a whole well over 95% if not more you don't have the option to spend less than half of the new version to get it upgraded. Phones laptops, TV's all the same when a.new version comes out and the old one goes down in value.

Scenario 1
   You had a Bifrost Uber and paid $519. But lets so it was not upgradable. Now the Bifrost MultiBit is released you would have to spend $599 to get that and your original Bifrost uber just took a price cut. So you Just spent $1,118 all in.

Scenario 2
   You had a Bifrost Uber and paid $519 Its Up gradable.for $250 . So Now you have the latest Version for $769 Total Investment.

You Get a $349 Instant Rebate. When you upgrade !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Oct 3, 2015 at 11:46 AM Post #67 of 2,799

So you bought a DAC knowing that one of its selling points is it has the potential to be upgraded and now you're upset because a few months after your purchase they've offered a couple of new levels of performance upgrades as well as passing savings on to their customers?  ...

there's very few pieces of audio gear that you aren't going to lose a significant amount of money on when reselling after a short time of ownership. I just sold a pair of high-end universal IEM's for about half of what I invested. If I sell my Concero HP I'm not likely to get much more than half of what they retail for. 

Not the point I was getting at the main thing that I wasn't happy about is how short after "I" got it. Yes the upgradability is awesome and I said I would not have minded and would have been more excited if I had had it longer. That second point is just ridiculous, we are not talking cars here. I've sold multiple pieces of gear before that held their value way better. The thing that is killing the price of the Bifrost is that they released a cheaper version that is better. It has nothing to do with how long I've had it.
  It Sucks but the MB upgrade is not just a board swap so I would expect the to be the cost of labor as well as the parts in the price.As opposed to Manufacturing it to be an MB from the start. When you look at Electronics as a whole well over 95% if not more you don't have the option to spend less than half of the new version to get it upgraded. Phones laptops, TV's all the same when a.new version comes out and the old one goes down in value.

Scenario 1
   You had a Bifrost Uber and paid $519. But lets so it was not upgradable. Now the Bifrost MultiBit is released you would have to spend $599 to get that and your original Bifrost uber just took a price cut. So you Just spent $1,118 all in.

Scenario 2
   You had a Bifrost Uber and paid $519 Its Up gradable.for $250 . So Now you have the latest Version for $769 Total Investment.

You Get a $349 Instant Rebate. When you upgrade !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It seems like another person missed half of what I was saying. "I" personally bought at a bad time so I was annoyed. Yes this upgrade is much better than them releasing a new version. Your second scenario and rebate remark make no sense unless you are applying your first scenario to the second. If I go and buy the new Bifrost upgrades I don't get a $349 rebate I'm out an extra $170 that I wouldn't be if I waited three months (which I would have if I knew they were releasing one, ). This is not the computer field where they have yearly/bi-yearly releases, so if someone says "oh well that always happens so just jump on the best thing when its available" this was a several year wait for an upgrade so I'd think its pretty obvious to see why someone who just got one may be a tiny bit salty.

To restate yes its very obvious that the original version of something goes down in value when a new version comes out, thats fine and dandy and expected and I'd be fine with it if my Bifrost was years old. Instead it is three months old and this would have been a much better situation if I had not bought a Bifrost until now.

Oct 3, 2015 at 11:51 AM Post #68 of 2,799
  Not the point I was getting at the main thing that I wasn't happy about is how short after "I" got it. Yes the upgradability is awesome and I said I would not have minded and would have been more excited if I had had it longer. That second point is just ridiculous, we are not talking cars here. I've sold multiple pieces of gear before that held their value way better. The thing that is killing the price of the Bifrost is that they released a cheaper version that is better. It has nothing to do with how long I've had it.
It seems like another person missed half of what I was saying. "I" personally bought at a bad time so I was annoyed. Yes this upgrade is much better than them releasing a new version. Your second scenario and rebate remark make no sense unless you are applying your first scenario to the second. If I go and buy the new Bifrost upgrades I don't get a $349 rebate I'm out an extra $170 that I wouldn't be if I waited three months (which I would have if I knew they were releasing one, ). This is not the computer field where they have yearly/bi-yearly releases, so if someone says "oh well that always happens so just jump on the best thing when its available" this was a several year wait for an upgrade so I'd think its pretty obvious to see why someone who just got one may be a tiny bit salty.

To restate yes its very obvious that the original version of something goes down in value when a new version comes out, thats fine and dandy and expected and I'd be fine with it if my Bifrost was years old. Instead it is three months old and this would have been a much better situation if I had not bought a Bifrost until now.

Frankly, the Uber you recently purchased is already far better than our hearing, you can research JDD (Just Detectible Distortion) and then kick back and listen to some music while chanting "I must resist the temptation to buy something."
I am currently resisting the 4490 upgrade board, it's only $100.

Oct 3, 2015 at 12:01 PM Post #69 of 2,799
  grrr well this makes me really regret just spending $519 on a Bifrost Uber knowing I now need to spend $250 to upgrade when I could have not bought it and now get the maxed version for $599.....

so I pay like what $769 minus tax and shipping instead of $599 because I bought a few months early. Resale value on the Bifrost Uber just tanked as well with this announcement.

* sigh * Guess I just won't even bother and go cry in a corner.

i know what you mean . . . i was going to sell my bifrost uber to fund a gumby.  re-sell value just dropped in one fell swoop . . .  

so now i have to decide about the incremental value of a gumby (and still selling the uber) vs upgrading the uber.  fun problems . . . 

Oct 3, 2015 at 12:10 PM Post #70 of 2,799
  Frankly, the Uber you recently purchased is already far better than our hearing, you can research JDD (Just Detectible Distortion) and then kick back and listen to some music while chanting "I must resist the temptation to buy something."
I am currently resisting the 4490 upgrade board, it's only $100.

That's fair, you just know that half of the people on this site are going to swear that its a million times better to justify their purchases(regardless of how huge or not of a difference it really makes in real world use) . But yeah I probably will just ignore it and not care nearly as much in a week or so as I have other expensive things to buy..

Oct 3, 2015 at 12:17 PM Post #71 of 2,799
  That's fair, you just know that half of the people on this site are going to swear that its a million times better to justify their purchases(regardless of how huge or not of a difference it really makes in real world use) . But yeah I probably will just ignore it and not care nearly as much in a week or so as I have other expensive things to buy..

Life is good, you have an HD800 sitting on top of a pile of good Schiit.

Oct 3, 2015 at 12:46 PM Post #73 of 2,799

As a person who collects old unobtainable DACs, I think this will be a fun experiment for me to compare it to other R2R offerings. Seeing where you're coming from, the Uber has sort of a boxed in soundstage compared to better offerings. It's like you're sitting a few rows too close and the instruments are sitting in your L/R channels versus being spread out in an imaginary circle around your head. I got a chance to listen to the Uber one last time and it was a good sendoff because I realized my 1994 Theta just trounces it in every conceivable way. As Mike said in the posts a few back, the Sharc DSP is what gives you this pinpoint imaging and spatial cues. It's the same filter that is in the Theta, just updated for 2015.

edit: Oh yeah, so what I'm getting at is that you should upgrade your Uber and you might find your HD800s sound even better than they did before.

Oct 3, 2015 at 12:53 PM Post #74 of 2,799
  edit: Oh yeah, so what I'm getting at is that you should upgrade your Uber and you might find your HD800s sound even better than they did before.

Yeah, I'm sure I could upgrade and spend thousands of dollars and as such its a rather slippery slope. As is my current set-up sounds quite good for how much I spent on it and I'm not exactly one for spending $500-$1000 for incremental upgrades. With that said if there were more opportunities where I'm at to try some of the more expensive gear and it actually made a big difference to be I'd be much more likely to want to upgrade. 

edit: Not that I don't appreciate the advice/info its just that only having read things on the internet that something could be/is better for "x" amount of money isn't exactly the same as being able to test the gear in person.

Oct 3, 2015 at 12:54 PM Post #75 of 2,799
Still prefer Gumby form factor 
redface.gif

Ali

Users who are viewing this thread

Back