Schiit Fire and Save Matches! Bifrost Multibit is Here.
Oct 2, 2015 at 9:59 PM Post #46 of 2,799
What kind of improvements do you hear in gungnir vs. gumby?

The improvement is just amazing.  Re: the rig Gumby --> HDVA600 --> HD800.  
I was about to look for a new amp for the HD800.  When I connected the Gumby as source, I realized the amp wasn't my problem.  The MB DAC opened it all up.  I am no longer looking for a new amp.
Bass.  Now, it's there.  More open and wider midrange soundstage.  The treble sounds totally different.  Better clarity of the instruments.  Not overly bright, just spot on.  The HD800 already had a huge sound stage, but now the sounds are better defined - they sound more like real instruments.  
Net - the overall SQ improved.
I also tested this rig with some favorite rock and blues music.  Never thought I would write this, but the HD800 Rock with this rig.
+100 for the Gungnir MB upgrade.

Hope that helps,
RCB

p.s. Sorry I just realized I posted this on the Bifrost thread.  I would expect you Bifrost owners to experience similar SQ improvement moving from the DS to the MB Bifrost.  I highly recommend you upgrade, IMO you won't be sorry.

Prost,
RCB

Oct 2, 2015 at 10:55 PM Post #47 of 2,799
Alright, stupid question time. What is the new 4490 upgrade bringing in over the current Uber upgrade. I get the benefit of MB, but what changes can be expected with the 4490 update over the Uber?

Edit -Wine Typing-

Oct 3, 2015 at 12:49 AM Post #49 of 2,799
Busy all day, just saw the announcement and put in my order right away, #10 in the queue. Only 10 orders > 11h after the announcement? What are you waiting for, Bifrosters?

Oct 3, 2015 at 1:06 AM Post #50 of 2,799

The improvement is just amazing.  Re: the rig Gumby --> HDVA600 --> HD800.  
I was about to look for a new amp for the HD800.  When I connected the Gumby as source, I realized the amp wasn't my problem.  The MB DAC opened it all up.  I am no longer looking for a new amp.
Bass.  Now, it's there.  More open and wider midrange soundstage.  The treble sounds totally different.  Better clarity of the instruments.  Not overly bright, just spot on.  The HD800 already had a huge sound stage, but now the sounds are better defined - they sound more like real instruments.  
Net - the overall SQ improved.
I also tested this rig with some favorite rock and blues music.  Never thought I would write this, but the HD800 Rock with this rig.
+100 for the Gungnir MB upgrade.

Hope that helps,
RCB

p.s. Sorry I just realized I posted this on the Bifrost thread.  I would expect you Bifrost owners to experience similar SQ improvement moving from the DS to the MB Bifrost.  I highly recommend you upgrade, IMO you won't be sorry.

Prost,
RCB

Wow, very enticing!  BTW, good that you posted this on the Bifrost thread, I was asking so I can envision the Bifrost difference w/ and w/o MB.

Oct 3, 2015 at 1:26 AM Post #51 of 2,799
  Busy all day, just saw the announcement and put in my order right away, #10 in the queue. Only 10 orders > 11h after the announcement? What are you waiting for, Bifrosters?

Impressions :)

Oct 3, 2015 at 2:11 AM Post #52 of 2,799
grrr well this makes me really regret just spending $519 on a Bifrost Uber knowing I now need to spend $250 to upgrade when I could have not bought it and now get the maxed version for $599.....

so I pay like what $769 minus tax and shipping instead of $599 because I bought a few months early. Resale value on the Bifrost Uber just tanked as well with this announcement.

* sigh * Guess I just won't even bother and go cry in a corner.

Oct 3, 2015 at 2:18 AM Post #53 of 2,799

They've been clearing the queue all day as they send out RMAs.  I signed up this morning right after the announcement and was already #6.  We've all received our RMAs and cleared out of the queue, so it's hard to say how many have gone ahead of you.  I imagine you'll be getting your RMA by Monday at the latest.  Can't imagine they've gone through their stock yet.  Good chance they're only doing a certain max number each day though.  Wouldn't be a point of a queue otherwise, I suppose.

Oct 3, 2015 at 2:34 AM Post #54 of 2,799
  grrr well this makes me really regret just spending $519 on a Bifrost Uber knowing I now need to spend $250 to upgrade when I could have not bought it and now get the maxed version for $599.....

so I pay like what $769 minus tax and shipping instead of $599 because I bought a few months early. Resale value on the Bifrost Uber just tanked as well with this announcement.

* sigh * Guess I just won't even bother and go cry in a corner.

I feel the same. Maybe Bifrost Uber owners should get a rebate? I'm not trying to deny their product value already offered but we did get shafted a little bit at $519 only then to have the $599 Bifrost MB come out. That means I am in the same camp around $769 + shipping which puts me in DAC19 territory. Either way I'm not going to sweat it cause  it could have been just an obsolete product but now it will hopefully have new life and be competitive with my Theta

Oct 3, 2015 at 2:34 AM Post #55 of 2,799

* sigh * Guess I just won't even bother.

Plenty of us in that boat.  I've had mine since April, which isn't that long really.  At least there's the option to upgrade.  It probably won't be the last upgrade offered either.  No sense in getting upset over it. I had a strong suspicion the MB upgrade was coming, but not the price drop.  That one took me by surprise.  If we waited around for every upgrade, we'd never have anything.  At some point you take the plunge and decide that's what you want.  Same way with everything. 

Oct 3, 2015 at 2:41 AM Post #56 of 2,799

I feel the same. Maybe Bifrost Uber owners should get a rebate? I'm not trying to deny their product value already offered but we did get shafted a little bit at $519 only then to have the $599 Bifrost MB come out. That means I am in the same camp around $769 + shipping which puts me in DAC19 territory. Either way I'm not going to sweat it cause  it could have been just an obsolete product but now it will hopefully have new life and be competitive with my Theta

A rebate of some sort would be really nice.I don't think I would feel nearly as bad if I'd had my Bifrost for years but I just got it a few months ago at the end of June when I finally bought my HD800's and the Schiit pairing for them.

Plenty of us in that boat.  I've had mine since April, which isn't that long really.  At least there's the option to upgrade.  It probably won't be the last upgrade offered either.  No sense in getting upset over it. I had a strong suspicion the MB upgrade was coming, but not the price drop.  That one took me by surprise.  If we waited around for every upgrade, we'd never have anything.  At some point you take the plunge and decide that's what you want.  Same way with everything. 

Yeah people say the same thing about tech with how fast those upgrades happen but most likely the next Bifrost upgrade won't be for years so people who bought recently definitely are getting a tiny bit "shafted" at least in my opinion.

another note: I don't even think I can sell my Bifrost Uber for $399 now as the new lower tier Bifrost is better? So my $519 purchase instantly lost $120+ in value at least. For someone without a massive audio budget to just throw money around all the time, this leaves quite the negative impression of my experience with Schiit (yes illogical maybe but it still does Dx).

Oct 3, 2015 at 4:54 AM Post #58 of 2,799
A few clarifications and amplifications re Bifrost Multibit DAC (Bimby).  The DAC is indeed a four year old 16 bit converter which for the glib, may not be exicting.  Those with the patience to study (yes, study) the datasheet will be exited when they realize the performance meets/exceeds that of many competing 18 bit dac chips.  The mega combo burrito time and frequency domain filter is also implemented in a SHARC chip identical to its bigger brothers Gumby and Yggy.  This permits the perception of the spatial cues uniquely proper to the Schiit filter.  The filter is identical to its bigger brothers' with just one exception:  the output rate on the Bimbo is limited to 192KHz rather than 384KHz. Since the filter is cascaded, the required taps halve to 9000.  The reason the unit must be returned to Schiit for upgrade is that the control microprocessor's flash memory must be reprogrammed.  I am proud of its price/performance ratio as a multibit D/A converter for $600.00.  I have been listening to one at my workstation for the last several months and find it quite satisfying.  Enjoy!

Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
Oct 3, 2015 at 5:11 AM Post #59 of 2,799
  A few clarifications and amplifications re Bifrost Multibit DAC (Bimby).  The DAC is indeed a four year old 16 bit converter which for the glib, may not be exicting.  Those with the patience to study (yes, study) the datasheet will be exited when they realize the performance meets/exceeds that of many competing 18 bit dac chips.  The mega combo burrito time and frequency domain filter is also implemented in a SHARC chip identical to its bigger brothers Gumby and Yggy.  This permits the perception of the spatial cues uniquely proper to the Schiit filter.  The filter is identical to its bigger brothers' with just one exception:  the output rate on the Bimbo is limited to 192KHz rather than 384KHz. Since the filter is cascaded, the required taps halve to 9000.  The reason the unit must be returned to Schiit for upgrade is that the control microprocessor's flash memory must be reprogrammed.  I am proud of its price/performance ratio as a multibit D/A converter for $600.00.  I have been listening to one at my workstation for the last several months and find it quite satisfying.  Enjoy!

I would be very interested in hearing more about how this compares to the Gungnir Multibit and $400 Bifrost. As someone who isn't an expert on digital conversion, I wish you would have a page on your site explaining the technical differences between delta sigma and multibit, because even after searching around a bit online it's still hard to get more than a basic idea of the differences. 

Oct 3, 2015 at 5:31 AM Post #60 of 2,799
I love love love the MB and price drop. However, I think Schiit still has some explaining to do on why the 4490 is such an improvement over the Uber. I suspect anyone with an Uber would be hesitant for a $99 upgrade for something that has not been discussed much because it has been overshadowed by MB.

I am sure it is an improvement over 1st gen and Uber, but looking at the site and here, there is not much talk on it and I doubt many with Frosts are sold on the idea of the 4490 card.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back