Schiit Fire and Save Matches! Bifrost Multibit is Here.
Oct 15, 2017 at 11:57 AM Post #2,716 of 2,799
IMO, when Bimby is fed with very clean source, i.e. AOIP or a dedicated network player, it scales up unbelievably that at some point it makes me think it's playing at the same level as Yggy.

Oct 15, 2017 at 11:00 PM Post #2,718 of 2,799
Then the preamp's volume has no effect on the subwoofers. Using the preamp's single-ended outs on the other hand...

Correct. Forgot about volume levels

Nov 23, 2017 at 2:03 PM Post #2,719 of 2,799
Upgraded to multibit last spring, and to gen5 USB last week (man those LEDs are a pain to get back in!). All I can say is wow! I love this DAC more every day.

Nov 23, 2017 at 6:03 PM Post #2,721 of 2,799
Had mine for several months now....did an exchange for a new Bifrost with the Gen 5 stuff in already..I bought the older Bifrost a few weeks before the announce.
Schitt offered me a swap for an upgraded new Bifrost and this was really nice customer support...

Its one one of the nicest upgrades I have had in many years...its really an awesome dac...I seldom use the others anymore!!
Alex

Nov 24, 2017 at 9:04 AM Post #2,722 of 2,799
There is a technique to getting the LEDs back in - not very hard.

I saw steps here on Head-Fi, to taking apart the Bifrost. Those steps were fantastic for taking it apart. They were however a "fail" to putting it back together. The thing I found, to making it easy to put back together was not reversing the steps, as the original thread suggests. Instead, the first thing was to line up the LEDs. The board is hanging out in space, but it makes it very easy to get the LEDs back. Even pushing these well through the holes is okay, because you can make the plastic tips flush once the assembly is complete. Then you gently slide the other pieces around the board.

So whereas it comes apart with the grey back piece attached to the board, I instead put the board into the silver piece first (aligning the LEDs) and slide the other pieces (slowly, carefully, gently) around the board. The LEDs are the first step, and stay nicely in place through the whole reassembly process.

Dec 7, 2017 at 11:34 PM Post #2,723 of 2,799
I'm doing a gen 2, optical, eitr shootout. can't hear any difference yet, though I'm currently implementing the old fashioned mod.

In my ongoing "reasons to buy bimby rather than mimby" catalogue I've come up with: power supply, upgradeability (gen5 being an excellent exhibit A), and 3 years more warranty. People claim it has a more neutral sonic profile, but my non-golden ears are not likely to be able to tell the difference.

Dec 8, 2017 at 3:55 AM Post #2,724 of 2,799
I just snagged a Bimby + Jot and wow wow wow, the amount of detail I picked up was instantly noticeable. However, I also immediately noticed an added metallic quality combined with a feeling like the sound is in my head and simultaneously being enveloping, and it's quite fatiguing, bordering on nauseating. I can easily pick out the harshness in music, or even simple things like menu clicks or a voice chat's popping P's / hard S's. A good example is how present but almost distorted(?) the decay on cymbals or a metal string acoustic guitar sound. I saw there was some commentary on harshness earlier on in Bimby's product life, but not a peep recently. Am I too used to old equipment, Bimby desperately needs a burn-in, poor can pairing, just crazy?

Came from an Audiogon Compass. Currently listening on Fidelio X2s, which I intend to upgrade but haven't come close to choosing a replacement yet (DT1990 looks compelling...).

Dec 8, 2017 at 1:45 PM Post #2,725 of 2,799
I just snagged a Bimby + Jot and wow wow wow, the amount of detail I picked up was instantly noticeable. However, I also immediately noticed an added metallic quality combined with a feeling like the sound is in my head and simultaneously being enveloping, and it's quite fatiguing, bordering on nauseating. I can easily pick out the harshness in music, or even simple things like menu clicks or a voice chat's popping P's / hard S's. A good example is how present but almost distorted(?) the decay on cymbals or a metal string acoustic guitar sound. I saw there was some commentary on harshness earlier on in Bimby's product life, but not a peep recently. Am I too used to old equipment, Bimby desperately needs a burn-in, poor can pairing, just crazy?

Bimby needs to be constantly ON and all that edgy sound will be gone. Let it play music continuously for 2 days and the sound will improve dramatically. Also, it's best paired with a SPDIF converter such as Eitr instead of Gen 2/5 USB input. What comes after thermal equilibrium is the 3D enveloping sound that is not harsh at all.

Dec 8, 2017 at 2:32 PM Post #2,726 of 2,799
Thanks, I'll give it more time.

Also, it's best paired with a SPDIF converter such as Eitr instead of Gen 2/5 USB input.
Wat. That makes absolutely no sense. Eitr is Gen5 USB so it's just adding an unnecessary step to the chain. If it really makes a difference that's effectively saying isolation in Bimby is so bad that putting the USB components in the box was pointless, which is absurd for a $600 component (or $150 upgrade).

Dec 8, 2017 at 2:35 PM Post #2,727 of 2,799
Thanks, I'll give it more time.

Wat. That makes absolutely no sense. Eitr is Gen5 USB so it's just adding an unnecessary step to the chain. If it really makes a difference that's effectively saying isolation in Bimby is so bad that putting the USB components in the box was pointless, which is absurd for a $600 component (or $150 upgrade).
yup, the way I've understood it is that the Eitr is made for making usb gen 5 available to all the dacs that can't be upgraded on it's own.

Dec 8, 2017 at 4:34 PM Post #2,728 of 2,799
YMMV. To me, SPDIF input is the most natural sounding out of the three inputs. USB is definitely a bit edgier in sound though to my ears. Anyways, you can test it yourself if you have a blu-ray player with coax out then play a CD compared to lossless from your PC or DAP

Jan 5, 2018 at 5:44 PM Post #2,729 of 2,799
How long does it take for Multibit to stop sounding like Schiit after startup from cold? I left mine off for two weeks and after 18 hours it still sounds harsh.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back