Schiit Fire and Save Matches! Bifrost Multibit is Here.
Jan 10, 2016 at 6:01 PM Post #1,563 of 2,799
Laptop, vahalla2 or violectric v90, depending on the phones.

Right. Which are your most used headphones? I ask because I just auditioned HD700s and although they are technically proficient, I've never felt so removed from the music in my life.

Jan 10, 2016 at 6:04 PM Post #1,564 of 2,799
Well, it has now been 9 days since my post offering a tech remedy for Bifrost Multibits which have a chirp/screech condition upon changing sampling rates:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/782824/schiit-fire-and-save-matches-bifrost-multibit-is-here/1485#post_12213766

Given the noise/roar on this forum with respect to this problem, I expected a flood of PMs. The first response was below:

Quote:

I'm on a 2011 mac mini and the sample rate glitch is happening to me pretty regularly (ranges between once every two days and more than once a day).

I perform the following steps in order until the problem is resolved:
1. cycle the inputs
2. play a different sample rate and then switch back to the original track
3. restart the bifrost (always resolves the problem)

My Bifrost was an upgrade. Originally purchased in 2014 as a uber.

While I wouldn't mind if I didn't have the weird distortion problem - I just don't think I'm willing to go without the Bifrost for a couple weeks.
When it is playing right (which is almost all of the time) the Bifrost MB is so wonderful that I'm willing to deal with the occasional glitch.

Since the above unit fails on a Mac, we are very interested in having a look at it, as we find Macs typically far more reliable as USB servers than PCs. So let me sweeten the offer: How about we send you a call tag and as soon as your unit is shipped, we send you another with the new software? This is far less downtime.

The second was the email I quote below:

Hello

When I first received my Multibit upgrade back I, and several others encountered a high pitch noise and garbled sound when the sample rate of the music changed. Mine seemed to clear up after a power cycle and was good until yesterday. I leave mine on 24/7. The only thing I noticed before this happened again was the relay didn't make the same loud click just before the garbled sound. A reboot cleared it up again, but this is definitely not self healing. I have a crapload of hours on it too. For the record I use the USB input only and I'm running the most up to date Windows 10. Playback is via JRiver MC21 WASAPI exclusive mode. This unit was a Bifrost Uber originally. I never really noticed the sample rate relay clicks until I upgraded to Multibit. Somehow they just seem louder. Not sure what is happening, but it's frustrating to have this repeat itself. I know Mike was mentioning a software change as a possible fix, but even that was clear as to whether it would fix things. I'm in Canada so a return for service is very costly.
Thanks

DH

My response to this is to make the same offer to DH. We will send him a call tag and ship a unit with the new software upon dispatch of his unit. I am sure that there will be some way for him to declare to his local authorities that this is a warranty repair, to exclude him from repaying the taxes, but I could be wrong. In my Theta days years ago this was possible with extra paperwork from Canada Customs.

There were no PMs.  Nothing - nada - crickets.

We are now at four units total. This is 0.25% total.(!)  I really must wonder why we had such so much noise and ado over such a low percentage of units – nearly nothing.

So here is where we stand: the experimental “timing” software (which has no sonic impact) has been implemented on all new mb Bifrosts.

This is definitely not a recall.

The administrative remediy is that we stand behind all of our Bifrosts, whether mb or ds, and whether they are upgrades or new. Period. Any other reports such as some posted in this thread are false.

How about we all get back to enjoying music.  Really.

Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
Jan 10, 2016 at 6:22 PM Post #1,566 of 2,799
Right. Which are your most used headphones? I ask because I just auditioned HD700s and although they are technically proficient, I've never felt so removed from the music in my life.
Really don't have one. I'm constantly rotating phones. Hd700's were the least enjoyed out of the hd line. That's my personal feeling on them. Quite a few others really enjoy them. He 560 gets a lot of time since upgrading to mb. Currawong described it bests when upgrading to mb. Your getting more detail & that gives you the interpretation that the sound is bigger. Your actually getting more information/music.

Jan 10, 2016 at 7:11 PM Post #1,567 of 2,799
@ Baldr. Thanks for the Update on the Bimby. I am glad the issue is not as widespread as it was made out to be.  I am looking forward to what you guys have in store for 2016. Last year was definitely a big year for your team.

Jan 10, 2016 at 8:19 PM Post #1,568 of 2,799
(I have BiMBy in my cart, just waiting for my girlfriend to go to sleep so she won't give me Schiit for buying it).

Jan 10, 2016 at 8:23 PM Post #1,569 of 2,799
Can I suggest that, if you're on a Mac and have this issue, immediately after it comes up, open up the Console.app and see if there is any mention of USB or audio playback when it happens. That data might help Mike. 

Jan 10, 2016 at 10:07 PM Post #1,571 of 2,799

There were no PMs.  Nothing - nada - crickets.

From my experience with consumer retail, when people have a problem with a product under $1,000 in cost:

99% of the people curse, throw out the product, and cross that brand name off their future purchase list
1% of the people contact customer service

This includes the huge number of "user errors" (such as pointing your remote control at the satellite dish instead of the set-top box - true story).

Anyway, the relevant point is that those people who previously reported problems are most certainly no longer reading the thread, and no longer using a Bifrost.

Jan 10, 2016 at 10:35 PM Post #1,572 of 2,799
  Anyway, the relevant point is that those people who previously reported problems are most certainly no longer reading the thread, and no longer using a Bifrost.

And what did they do with it? Just threw a $600 piece out the window? I guess there were not many returns either...

Jan 11, 2016 at 3:12 AM Post #1,575 of 2,799
The only other time i've had the issue is with Linux but in an old netbook.
Which I would assume was not the most highly powered USB socket.

Long story shortways, not had the issue come back on Windows 10 or any other operating system since I left it powered on and got a Wyrd.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back