Schiit Eitr impression and USB-SPDIF converters discussion
Apr 11, 2018 at 10:53 AM Post #707 of 1,112
I use the M2tech Hiface Two SPDIF-converter together with a powered USB-hub. My question is would I gain in SQ with the EITR? Or would replacing my USB hub with a AQVOX power supply do the same job well?
Not exactly the same, but I am also interested in Hiface Two vs Eitr comparisons. My Metrum Onyx seems to use the Hiface Two internally for USB out. At least that's what it says when I connect it to my PC via USB. I've had a hard time finding information.

I will also try to do comparisons myself as I do own an Eitr, but I'm interested in impressions from others too.

Apr 12, 2018 at 1:30 AM Post #708 of 1,112
If I used this from my Mac mini on USB into my Hugo 2's coaxial input would I be able to use higher than 24/192 files? Anyone compared this with the ISO Regen LPS-1 combo? Cheers! :ksc75smile:

Apr 12, 2018 at 11:00 AM Post #709 of 1,112
no, you'd be limited to 24/192 as specified on the schiit web site.

Apr 12, 2018 at 12:08 PM Post #710 of 1,112
no, you'd be limited to 24/192 as specified on the schiit web site.

Thanks! That's really useful. Bit of a face palm me not getting the info from the Schiit Site!

Apr 12, 2018 at 1:54 PM Post #711 of 1,112
If I used this from my Mac mini on USB into my Hugo 2's coaxial input would I be able to use higher than 24/192 files? Anyone compared this with the ISO Regen LPS-1 combo? Cheers! :ksc75smile:

I'd also be interested in a shoot out between the Eitr and the ISO Regen/LPS-1. Can't find one online yet.

Apr 12, 2018 at 5:42 PM Post #712 of 1,112
I decided instead of getting the Eitr to go with my modi multibit to just get the bitfrost multibit with gen 5 usb. i prefer an all in one and it has a much better power cable.

Apr 12, 2018 at 6:18 PM Post #713 of 1,112
I decided instead of getting the Eitr to go with my modi multibit to just get the bitfrost multibit with gen 5 usb. i prefer an all in one and it has a much better power cable.
From all the research I did before getting a Mimby (and eventually the Eitr), that's a more than viable way to do it, netting you basically the same performance. You also save on power outlets needed :)

Apr 12, 2018 at 7:46 PM Post #714 of 1,112
I'd also be interested in a shoot out between the Eitr and the ISO Regen/LPS-1. Can't find one online yet.
That's not quite right... think of the ISO Regen as an aftermarket mod for a stock engine (EITR). It makes fine improvements in detail transparency and high frequency resolution. Useful on a highly resolving
system but a waste if you are trying to "turbocharge a Corolla". I enjoy what it does in the chain feeding Eitr and occasionally I take the ISO REGEN out just to remind myself what the difference is but its not a make or break difference. I use an HDPLex as PS vs LPS-1

Last edited:
Apr 12, 2018 at 8:11 PM Post #715 of 1,112
I could not use Eitr with HQPlayer because it only play for 3 minutes and then distort so much and fail to play. The first 3 minutes sound out of this world though LOL. Is there anyone successful with HQPlayer? Edit: I was able to make it work by selecting poly-sinc-xtr filter and 192k rate , for some reason Eitr does not accept 176k

Last edited:
Apr 14, 2018 at 3:11 AM Post #716 of 1,112
Went ahead and final got an EITR after wanting it for a while since my STAX SR-L300LEs finally came in a week ago. Also ordered a Benchmark RCA to BNC cable to go from EITR output to the Gustard X20U BNC input (already have RCA and optical inputs being used by my OPPO Blu-ray player and XBox One respectively). EITR came in yesterday and the Benchmark RCA - BNC cable today. Connected it via RCA-RCA last night to test it out. Setup is STAX SR-L300LE <- Mjolnir Audio SRD-7 energizer <- NAD C275BEE stereo amp <- Schiit Loki <- Gustard X20U DAC <- Schiit EITR <- Windows 10 laptop w Foobar2K and FLAC files. I do hear an improvement in sound.

This track is one I knew I wanted to first use to try and help understand the difference:

The 3:15 on short span with all the cymbal work... was more of a 'choppy digital crashing' sound with the Gustard USB input. Sound with EITR is more detailed and finnessed with a better sense of them actually being cymbals. Overall as well, there seems to be a little more of a sense/presence of the room - there is a little more feel/definition to the recording/performance space it seems. That's about all right now I can tell.

Also listened to this song, as the 24bit, 44.1kHz, 1556Kbps download has very nice micro detail throughout, and the album as a whole impresses with it's detail and clarity/dynamics:

Seems a slight edge has been taken off and the details and everything just seems smoother/less harsh... but still as detailed as ever, or even very slightly more.

I do think I'll be keeping the EITR in my setup...it seems to perform like everyone has said...not HUGE differences, but seemingly noticeable differences.

i-JpVxbp8.jpg

P.S. I don't like the white LEDs Schiit uses...a cutting mat, 6 layers of Kapton tape, 1/8" precision hole punch, and a ball peen hammer works wonders to fix it...

Last edited:
Apr 14, 2018 at 4:49 AM Post #717 of 1,112
Expensive dacs does not need Eitr as they will have similar or even higher jitter block technologies. For cheaper DACs eitr improve sound so much !

Apr 14, 2018 at 1:15 PM Post #718 of 1,112
Hello:

My simple computer audio chain will consists of the following when I purchase an eltr: laptop>eltr>amp with onboard DAC>loudspeakers. My question is, should I expect any deterioration in sound quality because this setup will not be hard wired but will be running wifi? Should I expect anything else with this setup that I might not have considered if I plan on using just wifi?

Thanks,

Apr 14, 2018 at 4:31 PM Post #719 of 1,112
Expensive dacs does not need Eitr as they will have similar or even higher jitter block technologies. For cheaper DACs eitr improve sound so much !

It should be so, but the price tag doesn't guarantee that particular DAC has best possible tech solution for USB circuitry. It's not all about price, it's about its designer's skill too.

Apr 15, 2018 at 9:42 AM Post #720 of 1,112
Hello:

My simple computer audio chain will consists of the following when I purchase an eltr: laptop>eltr>amp with onboard DAC>loudspeakers. My question is, should I expect any deterioration in sound quality because this setup will not be hard wired but will be running wifi? Should I expect anything else with this setup that I might not have considered if I plan on using just wifi?

Thanks,

Sounds like you are doing Tidal, Spotify or some other streaming service. If your video streaming is good, then your audio will be as good as it can be with the gear you have. However
Windows is frustrating for audio quality, you may find over time that you want better for a USB audio source

Users who are viewing this thread

Back