Schiit Eitr impression and USB-SPDIF converters discussion
Apr 3, 2018 at 11:29 AM Post #691 of 1,112
There has been some posts that a SSD can sound better than a HDD. Problem is most laptops use a small SSD in combination with a larger HDD. If I was in the market for a new Win 10 laptop I would look for a 500 MB to 1 TB HDD only and 16 GB RAM.
reading those posts about ssd vs hd drives improve music sound- makes no sense whatsoever. ssd is much faster sorting and sending the music files, that it I expect.

Apr 3, 2018 at 2:19 PM Post #693 of 1,112
I was thinking about installing an Eitr between my iPhone 6s and Chord Mojo. Of course, I would be using a CCK. Has anyone had any success running this combo without a powered usb hub? Has anyone had any success running this combo period?
I do this already with a Metrum Octave because iPhone6 is an excellent Roon endpoint. Its good for about 4-6 hours of play before iPhone battery exhaust with the USB2 version of CCK. You can also get the later USB3 CCK version which has a thunderbolt socket allowing you to connect an Ankar battery for external power and that can run for about 24 hours before battery exhaust., a good way to avoid wear and tear on the internal IPhone battery.

Apr 3, 2018 at 3:02 PM Post #694 of 1,112
I do this already with a Metrum Octave because iPhone6 is an excellent Roon endpoint. Its good for about 4-6 hours of play before iPhone battery exhaust with the USB2 version of CCK. You can also get the later USB3 CCK version which has a thunderbolt socket allowing you to connect an Ankar battery for external power and that can run for about 24 hours before battery exhaust., a good way to avoid wear and tear on the internal IPhone battery.

Thank you.

Apr 6, 2018 at 12:41 AM Post #695 of 1,112
Is the Eitr worth it for my setup?

the only advantage I see is going from a USB 2 to USB 5 setup, is there that much difference?

currently i have MacBook -> Modi Multibit -> Jotunheim
but i'm considering throwing the Eitr in there. Let me know what you guys think.

Apr 6, 2018 at 12:51 AM Post #696 of 1,112
Is the Eitr worth it for my setup?

the only advantage I see is going from a USB 2 to USB 5 setup, is there that much difference?

currently i have MacBook -> Modi Multibit -> Jotunheim
but i'm considering throwing the Eitr in there. Let me know what you guys think.
Adding the Eitr ahead of my Mimby worked well for me, I was more than happy with the purchase!

Apr 6, 2018 at 1:36 AM Post #697 of 1,112
Adding the Eitr ahead of my Mimby worked well for me, I was more than happy with the purchase!

Awesome, thank you for sharing :)

Apr 6, 2018 at 11:48 AM Post #700 of 1,112
So, I sold my modi multibit, replaced it with a used Benchmark Dac1. And wow! Amazing sound..

I also bought a good usb-cable from Audioquest (Carbon).

If I also invest in a Eitr, meaning there will be another cable, a good spdif-cable, do you think this will improve the setup? The Benchmark is just amazing as it is, but you are always open to improvement...

Apr 6, 2018 at 6:00 PM Post #701 of 1,112
Awesome guys, I’m definitely going to get one. If anyone is looking to get rid of theirs please let me know :)

Apr 10, 2018 at 10:11 AM Post #702 of 1,112
Hey All - Does anyone know if the Eitr will help reduce/completely eliminate a ground loop issue I'm currently having with my set up? My PC for some reason is causing awful ground loop noise via usb (especially with my tube amp), so I'm only using optical right now. However I would love to go back to usb if possible, so I'm wondering if this will fix my problem?

Apr 11, 2018 at 9:41 AM Post #704 of 1,112
@Zbell : can you describe your chain, specifically - where's the loop in your system?

PC Mobo USB Port - Emotiva XDA-2 (recently sold - planning to get Mimby) - Bottlehead Crack - HD600s

I've isolated the PC as being the likely culprit, because when using a laptop as source I didn't get the ground loop issues.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back