Schiit Eitr impression and USB-SPDIF converters discussion
Mar 30, 2018 at 11:51 PM Post #677 of 1,112
I am also using a Brooklyn DAC+ streaming USB > Eitr > S/PDIF input on the DAC+. It will definitely improve your sound quality: lower noise floor, better clarity and dynamic range. Read the description at Schiit. Try for yourself send it back if you don't like it (you will.) You should use a 75 Ohm cable to connect the output of the Eitr to the Brooklyn. After you get an Eitr consider using a linear power supply to power the Brooklyn rather than using the internal switching power supply for even better sound quality.

I am looking into linear supplies...so you have any you would recommend?

Mar 31, 2018 at 1:04 AM Post #678 of 1,112
I am looking into linear supplies...so you have any you would recommend?

That's an easy one to answer. If you want to spend under $400 get the Sbooster and set to 13.2 volts. Available on Amazon. Cost no object go for Uptone Audio JS-2 at $925. I use the Sbooster, could not justify a $925 LPS for a $2195 DAC. Others have and love the JS-2. IMO the Sbooster is a bargain.

Update: Though some reviewers have recommended setting Sbooster at 13.2 V with the Brooklyn if the voltage at your wall is high you may get drop outs playing MQA files streamed through Tidal. Blue light would intermittently go out for a few seconds, you can hear SQ degrade, then MQA comes back on. Switching Sbooster back to 12 V solved the problem for me.

Last edited:
Mar 31, 2018 at 4:01 AM Post #679 of 1,112
It should help. The current product closest to your 2005 device would be the Mutec MC3 + USB if you should find the Eitr doesn't satisfy

Thanks. Wasn’t aware of The mutec. Just bought one and received it today. Will try to compare with the Big Ben.

So far tried Mac mini usb -> audio alchemy and sounded digital at its worst
Inserted the mutec and much much better. Not sure if it is as good as the FireWire to Big Ben but it sure is simpler and no drivers needed.

Mar 31, 2018 at 10:09 AM Post #680 of 1,112
Greetings:

I'm going to order the Eltr soon to place between a laptop and my integrated amp's internal DAC: it will be a simple 2 channel listening computer system at first.

I need to purchase a new laptop and was wondering if there are any features I should look for or want in a laptop in order to satisfy a computer audio setup with the Eltr? It will be a Windows 10 laptop that I'm looking for.

Thanks,

Mar 31, 2018 at 12:31 PM Post #681 of 1,112
There has been some posts that a SSD can sound better than a HDD. Problem is most laptops use a small SSD in combination with a larger HDD. If I was in the market for a new Win 10 laptop I would look for a 500 MB to 1 TB HDD only and 16 GB RAM.

Mar 31, 2018 at 1:00 PM Post #682 of 1,112
There has been some posts that a SSD can sound better than a HDD. Problem is most laptops use a small SSD in combination with a larger HDD. If I was in the market for a new Win 10 laptop I would look for a 500 MB to 1 TB HDD only and 16 GB RAM.
SSD sounding better than a mechanical drive is just ridiculous. Unless there's audible distortion bring transmitted through the USB cable from the moving parts of the mechanical drive (safe to say, I'm sure there ain't) then it would sound identical.

The exact same ones and zeros are being sent out of the PC, it's just a matter of how many arrive intact. Any decent cable to a solid DAC/converter (eitr) will be all you need.

Mar 31, 2018 at 3:00 PM Post #684 of 1,112
Thanks. Wasn’t aware of The mutec. Just bought one and received it today. Will try to compare with the Big Ben.

So far tried Mac mini usb -> audio alchemy and sounded digital at its worst
Inserted the mutec and much much better. Not sure if it is as good as the FireWire to Big Ben but it sure is simpler and no drivers needed.

Schiit Eitr rated equal or better than Mutec MC-3 at the S/PDIF Battle: Mutec, Singxer, Lynx, Rednet, Eitr, Et Al.

Mar 31, 2018 at 3:41 PM Post #685 of 1,112
My 2 hour initial listen was interesting. The mutec sounded different than my FireWire to spdif to Big Ben to aes/ebu. Need more extended tests. The mutec was more analog sounding and less high frequencies (less hash?). Whereas the Big Ben preserved the same sound but made it better. Too bad the eitr doesn’t do aes ebu. Maybe I will do a comparison if I can get a cheap eitr on eBay to do an a b.

Mar 31, 2018 at 4:53 PM Post #686 of 1,112
Primary purpose of USB/SPDIF converters is to provide link between SPDIF DACs and computer audio.
Stuff like reclocking/regen, galvanic isolation, noise filtering or providing cleaner voltage are additional benefits to converters, if implemented in device.
To use USB/SPDIF converters for USB supported DACs is kind of anomaly. It's useful only because USB inputs of those DAC's are not in the same level. Because, after all, those devices are USB inputs as well.
asynch USB reclockers improve every year and get cheaper. Schiit is one of the few that recognize this and make the USB section in their DAC's one that can be upgraded after purchase.

Mar 31, 2018 at 8:40 PM Post #689 of 1,112
It's also $179 compared to... waaaaaaay more.

Apr 2, 2018 at 6:00 PM Post #690 of 1,112
I was thinking about installing an Eitr between my iPhone 6s and Chord Mojo. Of course, I would be using a CCK. Has anyone had any success running this combo without a powered usb hub? Has anyone had any success running this combo period?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back