Schiit Eitr impression and USB-SPDIF converters discussion
Mar 15, 2018 at 11:04 AM Post #646 of 1,112
I'm thinking about switching from the Eitr to the Singxer F1, because the C-media asio driver keeps glitching with VB Asiobridge. I really don't want to because I really like the sound of the Eitr, but the glitches drive me mad (buffer 50ms)......

i wasn't particularly happy with the f-1 -- i'd figure out the issues you're having. i've got no issues with the gen 5 board in my yggy. i simply connected my yggy to my win10 pc and it identified the driver that @rayl shows in the screen shot three posts above. do make sure that any other drivers are uninstalled.

Mar 15, 2018 at 11:36 AM Post #647 of 1,112
i wasn't particularly happy with the f-1 -- i'd figure out the issues you're having. i've got no issues with the gen 5 board in my yggy. i simply connected my yggy to my win10 pc and it identified the driver that @rayl shows in the screen shot three posts above. do make sure that any other drivers are uninstalled.

I tried everything I could (energy settings Win 10, bios settings, fresh install, different usb ports) but I can't figure it out...... Any ideas?

Mar 15, 2018 at 11:56 AM Post #648 of 1,112
I think we are talking past each other. I just double checked:

This is NOT the standard Windows driver from MSFT. The Schiit web site is correct, bec the C Media driver is shipped with Windows (as are many drivers). The web site only says you do not need to install something optional. It does not say that EITR uses the standard USB 2.0 UAC driver from Microsoft.

It says it uses standard UAC2 drivers for Mac and Linux, meaning it's fully UAC2 compliant. Meaning any UAC2 compliant Windows driver should work.

Mar 15, 2018 at 12:02 PM Post #649 of 1,112
It says it uses standard UAC2 drivers for Mac and Linux, meaning it's fully UAC2 compliant. Meaning any UAC2 compliant Windows driver should work.

Of course, but then you lose WASAPI (and also have to manually downgrade from c-media). This is true for most DACs on Windows.... but my real question was, let's say we just install EITR using the documented installation instructions (which is to just plug it in). Then you get CMedia. Does CMedia handle retransmiting dropped data. That was my only question.

Mar 15, 2018 at 12:09 PM Post #650 of 1,112
Of course, but then you lose WASAPI (and also have to manually downgrade from c-media). This is true for most DACs on Windows.... but my real question was, let's say we just install EITR using the documented installation instructions (which is to just plug it in). Then you get CMedia. Does CMedia handle retransmiting dropped data. That was my only question.

I tried to explain this, I don't find it likely. It means Eitr should support both standard UAC2 (no resend) and asynchronous USB with resend. And it should also recognize from the data stream recieved which driver is on the other side to know which communication to use. I don't find it likely Schiit implemented two protocols under one device. And even if they did, I find it less likely they wouldn't recommend drivers which support improved protocol.

Mar 15, 2018 at 4:39 PM Post #651 of 1,112
I tried to explain this, I don't find it likely. It means Eitr should support both standard UAC2 (no resend) and asynchronous USB with resend. And it should also recognize from the data stream recieved which driver is on the other side to know which communication to use. I don't find it likely Schiit implemented two protocols under one device. And even if they did, I find it less likely they wouldn't recommend drivers which support improved protocol.
They could just implement a single protocol with resend. Then with the UAC2 Eitr just doesn't get the requested resent packets.

Mar 17, 2018 at 10:35 AM Post #652 of 1,112
My Eitr arrived this morning and I promptly installed it in my Mimby/Magni3 stack. My PC detected and applied the proper drivers for it without issues upon plugging it in. Initial impressions are that the sound is definitely cleaner with a bit more airiness vs simply running the Mimby via USB. I like it! Definitely glad I gave the Eitr a try before going all out on a completely new DAC/amp setup.

Mar 19, 2018 at 6:59 AM Post #654 of 1,112
Hi again.
Does the Eitr work also with a USB signal only cable (i.e. with ground and +5VDC wires disconnected) ? From the source i mean.
thanks

No, the power supply is for the coax output side of the eitr, the USB side is powered by the source. This allows them to completely isolate both sides from each other.

Mar 19, 2018 at 7:16 AM Post #655 of 1,112
No, the power supply is for the coax output side of the eitr, the USB side is powered by the source.
This allows them to completely isolate both sides from each other.
Hi and thanks for the kind reply. Could there be any issue for voltage noise from the source ? i mean for the Eitr performance.

Last edited:
Mar 19, 2018 at 7:27 AM Post #656 of 1,112
Hi and thanks for the kind reply. No issue for voltage noise from the source ?

I didn't have any noise issues before adding eitr, but eliminating USB noise is one of the key benefits of eitr, thanks to that isolation.

Mar 20, 2018 at 7:19 PM Post #657 of 1,112
Mp3 is not problem per se, quality of streaming suffers because of limited bandwidth problems of many internet stations. It's just that Eitr doesn't handle this situation well.

The issue with Eitr is similar to any other separate USB/SPDIF converter. You have double digital cabling. Asynchronous Isochronous USB transfer (UAC1 or UAC2) is lossy, it's hungry for a quality USB cable. S/PDIF is jittery protocol. So you'll introduce both some loss and some jitter, which can be minimized by using good digital cables (with S/PDIF coax length of cable is in stake as well). I think this is prerequisite to real improvements in sound, otherwise you just introduce too much additional issues which can negate its benefits.

With some coax cables, Eitr combo was not the winner.

I've used only quality quality USB cables proven through listening comparations to me, so there were no issues from that side. However I've never previously used coax so I'm still in the process of finding a good coax cable. But with S/PDIF it's more complex. With USB it's simple, shorter is better. With S/PDIF, you need a certain minimum cable length to allow rise time cycle to finish, but preferrably not much longer than this. And rise time specifications are different from (transmitter) device to device, and often they're not published. I'd love to know Eitr's rise time specification. Currently I've been using a 40 cm coax, but I should further experiment with lengths between this and 1m length to determine if this is a good length, or I need more length for less jitter.
Uptone usb regenerator $375 has a usb in & usb out, attaches w their proprietary connector to your dac.might that be a better solution than an eitr since it is only usb, no coax jitter problems?

Mar 21, 2018 at 3:03 AM Post #659 of 1,112
When i see a cheap RCA connector used for a spdif coax out on high quality audio equipment i get mad. I understand it is a common standard by now. Unfortunately.
For toys i agree it can be enough. But even for high end equipment ? Unbelievable.
Why not looking at the connectors used for digital scope probes ? there was already a very good and proven standard there good up to 1GHz !!!

https://www.picotech.com/accessories/active-oscilloscope-probes/tetris-1-ghz-active-probe

They prefer instead to use a multidollar fancy cable with Golden wires that in no way can match the quality of the above mentioned fit for purpose standard. And then they talk about difference in sounds, and so on.
I get mad. This is perverse.
Sincerely.

Last edited:
Mar 21, 2018 at 4:16 AM Post #660 of 1,112
Uptone usb regenerator $375 has a usb in & usb out, attaches w their proprietary connector to your dac.might that be a better solution than an eitr since it is only usb, no coax jitter problems?

Well if I'm bugged with some internet station which cause dropouts but I still like listening to it (for the example, Canadian American Roots, great folk station with excellent choice of music but streaming quality is not the best), I can always use another DAC, or connect MyDac directly through USB. I wouldn't be willing to invest that much as for Uptone.

However I've seen on another internet board that clicking was not unusual for some users which used linux based solutions like RPi (mine is Daphile on a laptop which is Linux based as well). I should also check the AC voltage from the wall wart.
What now crosses my mind is that I had more problems in this respect with two DAC's connected simultaneously on laptop. And I use external USB HDD which is completely USB powered. Possibly insufficient USB voltage might be the problem? Eitr uses it.
I might try replacing external HDD with another one which is not USB powered.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back