Schiit Eitr impression and USB-SPDIF converters discussion
Mar 10, 2018 at 1:21 PM Post #617 of 1,112
So Instead of Eitr I just ended up Moving to the Bifrost w/ Gen5. Definitely noticeable but I guess will never know if its gen5, dac, or even new amp. but who cares I guess, listening to some Pink Floyd now and sounds amazing think I will stay with this combo for awhile.

Mar 10, 2018 at 1:27 PM Post #618 of 1,112
Question: would this help in my setup

Currently;
Macmini (firewire) -> M-Audio610 firewire to SPDIF coax -> Apogee Big ben reclocker SPDIF to balanced -> elac/Audio alchemy DDP-1 DAC

Thinking of simplifying
Macmini (USB) -> EITR USB to SPDIF coax -> elac/Audio alchemy DDP-1 DAC

My current setup has been around for a while, when USB was poor compared to firewire, and jitter was still an issue, but now with the new gen USB interfaces, and low jitter, wondering if I can simplify and get equivalent sound

Advice appreciated.

Mar 10, 2018 at 1:51 PM Post #619 of 1,112

Currently;
Macmini (firewire) -> M-Audio610 firewire to SPDIF coax -> Apogee Big ben reclocker SPDIF to balanced -> elac/Audio alchemy DDP-1 DAC

Thinking of simplifying

My current setup has been around for a while, when USB was poor compared to firewire, and jitter was still an issue, but now with the new gen USB interfaces, and low jitter, wondering if I can simplify and get equivalent sound

Advice appreciated.

It seems like an interesting experiment to for under $200 and it would definitely streamline your stack. I’m shocked at the improvement in SQ the EITR added to my main stero rig with a MackBook Pro and I’d love to hear how it compares to a $1500 reclocker.

Mar 10, 2018 at 3:24 PM Post #620 of 1,112

Currently;

Thinking of simplifying

Advice appreciated.
It should help. The current product closest to your 2005 device would be the Mutec MC3 + USB if you should find the Eitr doesn't satisfy

Mar 12, 2018 at 10:50 AM Post #621 of 1,112
People say, Coax is always the better way to go vs USB, anyways...

Both USB and S/PDIF have their own technical issues, and the final result depends on both cabling and the implementation of the receiving side - clean transfer by quality cable is important, but also reclocking effort on the receiving side. Plus battleing noise received through cable. S/PDIF is prone to jitter a lot. USB on the other hand in its most common implementation (UAC1/UAC2, asynchronous isochronous protocol) is prone to some data loss, though you'll get less jitter than under S/PDIF. AES/EBU should be at least bit better than S/PDIF because of separate clock line/wire and because of better connectors used from audio perspective, but still using similar, bit outdated protocol.

In the end, USB or S/PDIF, it doesn't matter which one is used nearly as much as it matters how it is done. No wonder many digital devices manufacturers mention galvanic isolation, low noise power sources, noise filtering, reclocking with low jitter clocks etc. Whether you use USB or S/PDIF all mentioned is pretty much helpful for best results.

Mar 12, 2018 at 11:25 AM Post #622 of 1,112
I've been using Eitr with MyDac and one ebay multibit NOS DAC (based on single TDA 1543). Source was Daphile installed on Atom based small Asus laptop. Music is from hard-disc connected through USB on laptop, plus various internet streamed radio stations. Here are impressions:

- Eitr has some great quality in the high end of frequency spectrum (compared on MyDac relative to direct USB connection with high quality AQ Coffee USB or Cardas Clear USB), it's capable of nice high frequency extension which connects great with the upper middle frequency spectrum, giving instruments a really nice timbre. Quality and length of a coax cable makes a sonical difference, Currently I'm using 40 cm long coax based on Supra Trico digital cable - I'm still not sure which length is the best, any input and experience with cable lengths is appreciated;
- Detailed sound is also Eitr's strength as well, it improved resolution with both DAC-s;
- I'm still not sure about the low end of spectrum performance, because there are other influences as well, but also it depends on DAC receiving end. With MyDac it seems bit of focus (phase?) is lost in the bass area, though spatial definition is nice, but bit of bass presence/focus is lost; could be DAC though, as results are better with the NOS DAC (however with that one I hear bit more jitter - the sound is opened up and with bit more detail;
- Eitr unfortunately doesn't handle well lower quality of internet radio streaming - glitches in digital data stream flow are being reproduced as audible clicks in sound when stream quality gets worse. Both MyDac and ebay NOS DAC handle this better when used through USB, especially the latter one; however if I use Eitr with the latter I get occasional silence periods for couple of second when listening to internet radio streams of lower quality, which I don't get with the same device if I use it alone;
- Parallel conection of both DAC-s through both USB directly and with Eitr through S/PDIF created noticeably more clicks and 'coughing' in sound, and I guess the reason is a ground loop which emerged; this is not really a problem though, but it made audio comparison less straightforward as I needed to reconnect devices each time.

In the end, I guess it depends a lot on quality of S/PDIF input and quality of cables, when comparisons are being made. On certain DACs Eitr can without a doubt offer improvement in sound, but no matter what Schiit marketing says, both digital cable type and its length do matter when it comes to quality of sonical results. But all in all, it has improved quality of sound through MyDac, while when compared to NOS DAC, I'm not sure - its sound is analogous and harmonious if used alone, Eitr alters it in a way in which you get something (details, highs extension) and lose something (bit of analogue like nature of sound). I'm even more on side to listen to this DAC alone, while with MyDax, definitely Eitr.

No other Schiit to compare it with or to, sorry :o2smile:

Mar 12, 2018 at 8:25 PM Post #623 of 1,112
I've been using Eitr with MyDac and one ebay multibit NOS DAC (based on single TDA 1543). Source was Daphile installed on Atom based small Asus laptop. Music is from hard-disc connected through USB on laptop, plus various internet streamed radio stations. Here are impressions:

- Eitr has some great quality in the high end of frequency spectrum (compared on MyDac relative to direct USB connection with high quality AQ Coffee USB or Cardas Clear USB), it's capable of nice high frequency extension which connects great with the upper middle frequency spectrum, giving instruments a really nice timbre. Quality and length of a coax cable makes a sonical difference, Currently I'm using 40 cm long coax based on Supra Trico digital cable - I'm still not sure which length is the best, any input and experience with cable lengths is appreciated;
- Detailed sound is also Eitr's strength as well, it improved resolution with both DAC-s;
- I'm still not sure about the low end of spectrum performance, because there are other influences as well, but also it depends on DAC receiving end. With MyDac it seems bit of focus (phase?) is lost in the bass area, though spatial definition is nice, but bit of bass presence/focus is lost; could be DAC though, as results are better with the NOS DAC (however with that one I hear bit more jitter - the sound is opened up and with bit more detail;
- Eitr unfortunately doesn't handle well lower quality of internet radio streaming - glitches in digital data stream flow are being reproduced as audible clicks in sound when stream quality gets worse. Both MyDac and ebay NOS DAC handle this better when used through USB, especially the latter one; however if I use Eitr with the latter I get occasional silence periods for couple of second when listening to internet radio streams of lower quality, which I don't get with the same device if I use it alone;
- Parallel conection of both DAC-s through both USB directly and with Eitr through S/PDIF created noticeably more clicks and 'coughing' in sound, and I guess the reason is a ground loop which emerged; this is not really a problem though, but it made audio comparison less straightforward as I needed to reconnect devices each time.

In the end, I guess it depends a lot on quality of S/PDIF input and quality of cables, when comparisons are being made. On certain DACs Eitr can without a doubt offer improvement in sound, but no matter what Schiit marketing says, both digital cable type and its length do matter when it comes to quality of sonical results. But all in all, it has improved quality of sound through MyDac, while when compared to NOS DAC, I'm not sure - its sound is analogous and harmonious if used alone, Eitr alters it in a way in which you get something (details, highs extension) and lose something (bit of analogue like nature of sound). I'm even more on side to listen to this DAC alone, while with MyDax, definitely Eitr.

No other Schiit to compare it with or to, sorry :o2smile:
So to "cut to the chase" your experience is the Eitr sounds good with quality source but not so good when the source is sub par? Cause for some of us mp3 is a curse word :)

Mar 13, 2018 at 6:34 AM Post #624 of 1,112
So to "cut to the chase" your experience is the Eitr sounds good with quality source but not so good when the source is sub par? Cause for some of us mp3 is a curse word :)

Mp3 is not problem per se, quality of streaming suffers because of limited bandwidth problems of many internet stations. It's just that Eitr doesn't handle this situation well.

The issue with Eitr is similar to any other separate USB/SPDIF converter. You have double digital cabling. Asynchronous Isochronous USB transfer (UAC1 or UAC2) is lossy, it's hungry for a quality USB cable. S/PDIF is jittery protocol. So you'll introduce both some loss and some jitter, which can be minimized by using good digital cables (with S/PDIF coax length of cable is in stake as well). I think this is prerequisite to real improvements in sound, otherwise you just introduce too much additional issues which can negate its benefits.

With some coax cables, Eitr combo was not the winner.

I've used only quality quality USB cables proven through listening comparations to me, so there were no issues from that side. However I've never previously used coax so I'm still in the process of finding a good coax cable. But with S/PDIF it's more complex. With USB it's simple, shorter is better. With S/PDIF, you need a certain minimum cable length to allow rise time cycle to finish, but preferrably not much longer than this. And rise time specifications are different from (transmitter) device to device, and often they're not published. I'd love to know Eitr's rise time specification. Currently I've been using a 40 cm coax, but I should further experiment with lengths between this and 1m length to determine if this is a good length, or I need more length for less jitter.

Last edited:
Mar 14, 2018 at 6:01 PM Post #625 of 1,112
Decided to order an Eitr this afternoon to give it a go with my Mimby & Magni 3 stack. I've been running it strictly via USB from my PC since I bought it last March. Hoping to have it by the weekend, fingers crossed!

Last edited:
Mar 14, 2018 at 6:14 PM Post #626 of 1,112
Decided to order an Eitr this afternoon to give it a go with my Mimby & Magni 3 stack. I've been running it strictly via USB from my PC since I bought it last March. Hoping to have it by the weekend, fingers crossed!

I’m running the same setup. Very pleased with it.

Mar 14, 2018 at 9:29 PM Post #628 of 1,112
On the Eitr web page, there is a photo of the component board. There appears to be an RJ45 jack on one corner. Any idea what this is for?

Only taking a guess here, but I think it is probably used for updating/configuring the firmware on the USB chip during assembly. Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

Mar 15, 2018 at 5:34 AM Post #630 of 1,112

I’m running the same setup. Very pleased with it.

Exact same setup here as well. I don't think I can go back to straight USB (running from my cheapo Chromebook 11 anyways).
I am using one of those 3ft Monoprice coaxial cables with "fancy connectors":

https://www.monoprice.com/product?c_id=102&cp_id=10236&cs_id=1023603&p_id=21679&seq=1&format=2

The cable itself (with the fabric covering) is about twice the thickness of the PYST RCA cables, and the connectors themselves are huge (about 1.25" long). Quite a nice cable for $4.

The only issue i've found is that the coaxial input on the Mimby seems to be more 'free-floating' than any of the RCA jacks and flexes around quite a bit if there is tension from the coax cable, etc. I doubt it is actually doing any damage, but something to keep in mind if you end up having a large plug hanging off the end of it.
The output side from the Eitr, however, seems much more solid and less prone to any movement.

25949274007_60bd2c9bcb_z.jpg

39925747225_1055ffcc77_z.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back