Schiit Eitr impression and USB-SPDIF converters discussion
Feb 21, 2018 at 4:35 PM Post #601 of 1,112
Ok. I am confused, the Eitr has Gen 5 usb.
While Schiit says themselves, if you have Gen 5 usb you do not need to think about other USB devices such as "eitr" I guss..
Do I need a Eitr converter, if the DAC already has Gen 5 usb then? Is sound improved anyway?
Any comments or experience on this?

if you have a dac with gen 5 usb, there is no reason to use an eitr. it's duplicative and adds complexity (and potential sources of noise) to your system.

Last edited:
Feb 21, 2018 at 4:46 PM Post #602 of 1,112
Ok. I am confused, the Eitr has Gen 5 usb.
While Schiit says themselves, if you have Gen 5 usb you do not need to think about other USB devices such as "eitr" I guss..
Do I need a Eitr converter, if the DAC already has Gen 5 usb then? Is sound improved anyway?
Any comments or experience on this?

If the DAC already has Gen 5, then getting an Eitr is needless duplication.

Feb 21, 2018 at 4:55 PM Post #603 of 1,112
Ok, its speculation time again...

For one, i have the Lindemann 24/192 DAC. Some info on its jitter reduction performance:

- USB interface is asynchronous using XMOS 24/192 processor (class 2 USB), capable of 500 Mips, jitter reduction to 50ps, and is up-sampling
- digital interface controller (WM8805) with efficient jitter reduction due to buffer storage (memory buffering of digital stream) and adaptive PLL
- guaranteed jitter level below 50ps
- further standardisation of input signals due to synchronous resampling with 24 bits and 192 kHz directly before the the converter module
- remaining jitter of the signal (not the clock) is below 50ps
- high-precision master clock with < 2.5ps timing jitter

Which solution may be more potent to improve the sound [noticebly!] and would you recommend something different than Eitr when it comes to bang for buck?

Lets say, on the on side we would have the Eitr converting USB to Coax @ 24/192, on the other side a cheaper unit (USB-Filter) for cleaning up the USB signal.

I mean, according to reviews, the Lindemann's USB input is very nicely done. Would i most probably still hear an noticable improvement to the audio through the Eitr going to Coax instead of USB (my music source is PC)?
People say, Coax is always the better way to go vs USB, anyways...

Or is the jitter reduction @ below 50ps good enough that something like the Eitr/USB-Filter would mean not much improvement?

Most probably the Lindemann does not have a linear power supply as its just a tiny wall mart (i could be wrong though)....so should i rather go the other way and uprade the power supply instead of the audio signal. More or less sonic improvent for the money?

I just figured the Lindemann is not a USB-powered dac hence the power supply, silly me.
So would a unit like the Schiit Wyrd or the DoodleBug still work with the Lindemann for improving the audio signal over USB?

Last edited:
Feb 21, 2018 at 6:11 PM Post #604 of 1,112
Actually if you plan on keeping the Lindemann you should probably get both an Eitr and LPS to replace the wall wart. The Sbooster BOTW P&P ECO 5-6V LPS is compatible with the Lindemann and will give you better SQ at about $380. I would get the Schiit Eitr first though. Forget the Wyrd or Doodlebug IMO.

Feb 22, 2018 at 7:14 AM Post #605 of 1,112
To my understanding, Gen V takes USB and connects internally to the DAC interface (likely I2S).

The Eitr takes USB and generates SPDIF output that a DAC would need to transform to its internal interface. So Eitr is a man in the middle compared to the Gen V.

USB, SPDIF and I2S are quite EMF-noisy protocols. There have been attempts to decode USB to a parallel interface (by EC Designs in their Mosaic UV DAC), claiming to be a method that presents lower noise to the DAC. However, this is said to be still quite sensitive to USB input quality.

So I would say if you can get a DAC with the Gen V built in, go for it and forget the Eitr.
Otherwise get the Eitr and stop reading forums :).

Of course, you can insert things like the ISORegen or a tx-USBultra or ultraRendu in front of the Gen V or Eitr if you want.

(Edit: sorry for one more opinion on the Eitr vs Gen 5, I answered before refreshing the thread in the browser).

Last edited:
Feb 22, 2018 at 1:08 PM Post #606 of 1,112
NOOB ?....i use a Rega DAC 1st generation...the usb input does not support 192 sample rate......will this Schiit EITR upsample my streaming to 192 as the the coax input supports it?

thank you
No. It is a USB-in S/PDIF-out device. It is not a re-sampler.

Mar 3, 2018 at 9:35 PM Post #608 of 1,112
wish i hadn't stumbled upon this thread.. looks like i'll be spending more money. Surprised there aren't other options, like a PCI soundcard that would do that samething?

Mar 4, 2018 at 10:07 AM Post #609 of 1,112
wish i hadn't stumbled upon this thread.. looks like i'll be spending more money. Surprised there aren't other options, like a PCI soundcard that would do that samething?
Kind of like wishing you could play good audio on the floor of a steel mill... too much background interference inside a PC to make good PCI D/A out an easy task for high quality audio. Easier to use an external asynch USB converter.

Mar 4, 2018 at 10:09 AM Post #610 of 1,112
Good analogy, makes sense. Would this be noticeable on low end setup? I have vali2 and modi multi

Mar 4, 2018 at 10:50 AM Post #611 of 1,112
Good analogy, makes sense. Would this be noticeable on low end setup? I have vali2 and modi multi
YMMV based on how much work you have put into source solution. I tend to replace asynch USB converters every year and the Eitr is the least I've had to pay in the last 4 years
for a better converter. Its especially nice if you like music where tone color accuracy is all important... my older converters tended to what I would call a solid state sound, thinness
in harmonic structure.

Mar 4, 2018 at 2:29 PM Post #612 of 1,112

This isn't what I would consider a low end setup. Cheap, but not low end. I upgraded my Bifrost MB to Gen 5 USB and the improvement was pretty noticeable. And the Bifrost MB is not really that much better sounding than the Modi MB from what others have said.

Mar 4, 2018 at 2:31 PM Post #613 of 1,112
This isn't what I would consider a low end setup. Cheap, but not low end. I upgraded my Bifrost MB to Gen 5 USB and the improvement was pretty noticeable. And the Bifrost MB is not really that much better sounding than the Modi MB from what others have said.

great to hear... i'm going to have to pick one up now... or sell my MB for bifrost. What size chasis is the Eitr, does it stack with modi.

Mar 4, 2018 at 2:41 PM Post #614 of 1,112
great to hear... i'm going to have to pick one up now... or sell my MB for bifrost. What size chasis is the Eitr, does it stack with modi.

Check the website, but I'm pretty sure the Eitr is meant to stack with the mini chassis components like you have.

Mar 4, 2018 at 3:08 PM Post #615 of 1,112
Yes, the Eitr is the same size as the rest of Schiit's mini chassis designs including the Magni and Modi.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back