Schiit Eitr impression and USB-SPDIF converters discussion
Nov 6, 2018 at 10:04 AM Post #826 of 1,112
Can that S.M.L.S stream off SoundCloud?
Hi sorry i do not know. I am just reading my ripped cds from an hard drive. There is a specific thread on the DP3 in the forum. There you will find many more information. I can only say that i like what i hear from the HP out unbalanced. Clean and detailed sound.
i have much better dacs and headphone amp to try (Auralic Taurus) but i am out of home for work. I will report when i will have all the best pieces lined together. regards, gino

Nov 6, 2018 at 10:16 AM Post #827 of 1,112
Good information. Thanks, eh.

Nov 6, 2018 at 4:04 PM Post #828 of 1,112
Hello,
my first post here... I do it, because I can't believe how big improvement did Schiit Eitr in my rig, in reality bigger improvement then changing Teac ud 501 for Marantz DAC. My current rig MacBook Air - Eitr - Marantz HD DAC1 - Primare A30.1 mk2 - Guru QM10two. Sorry, no headphones critical listening here.

Best regards from Slovenia, Zvone

Nov 7, 2018 at 10:59 AM Post #829 of 1,112
Hi ! i stopped a little the process having moved to a new and minimal flat. Today i am listening to a SMSL DP3 network player wave files from a hard disk with a cheap but nice ISK HP2011.
SMSL-DP3-DSD-DAC-Audio-Amplificateur-Hifi-Bluetooth-DAC-USB-Amplificateur-Audio-D-codeur-quilibr-e.jpg

Speaking of usb converters the best sound i got in the past was from a Dell Pc > Gustard U12 > aes/ebu cable > Apogee Rosetta 200. I could have lived with that all considered.
But i have other things to try out like a Yellowtec PUC2 and a Gustard x20 dac i also own.
Regards,
gino
In XMOS you would have to be looking at a newer generation product like the Singxer F1 to find a possible Eitr competitor

Nov 7, 2018 at 11:05 AM Post #830 of 1,112
I’m hellbent on replacing my elderly with a $400-500 chromebook (as the device feeding my ModiMB). I need to decide whether an EITR is worth importing into Canada or not. I understand my audio flow (see below) is as-good-as-it’s-going-to-get. The Asus Chromebook 15 (?) looks promising. Do these models have “noisy” USB?

Helpful thread btw. Thanks, eh.
In your shoes, I would run Minimserver on the Lenovo and buy a microRendu ($499) assuming you have a network. The clocking output issue of going direct to DAC from a cheap laptop are going to "blenderize" your music's dynamics and tone colors. If the modiMB doesn't have USB in , that would
require the Eitr also, otherwise you could add the Eitr later.

Last edited:
Nov 7, 2018 at 11:11 AM Post #831 of 1,112
In XMOS you would have to be looking at a newer generation product like the Singxer F1 to find a possible Eitr competitor
Hi thanks for the valuable advice. Actually i am looking at the Cayin network player as a definitive solution. I am done with pc for music ... too complicated.
I like the idea of a network player with a great digital out.
Regards, gino

Nov 8, 2018 at 6:12 AM Post #832 of 1,112
I replaced my Eitr because of clicking issue (mostly with internet radio), got the new device yesterday. However with the new device it's pretty much the same - music over external HDD is fine (I didn't hear clicks , if this happens it's rare), but internet radio over Daphile gets clicking/popping just the same as with the old device. So I guess it's probably connected to its design (or I had the misfortune to again get a device with the same technical problem being present).

I dont' think i'll replace it again, though. Too much probabilty it's design issue. However since HDD flac reproduction is good I'll continue to use it. As for the internet radio I have the alternative through modified RPi/Digi+Pro setup.

Last edited:
Nov 8, 2018 at 12:17 PM Post #833 of 1,112
I replaced my Eitr because of clicking issue (mostly with internet radio), got the new device yesterday. However with the new device it's pretty much the same - music over external HDD is fine (I didn't hear clicks , if this happens it's rare), but internet radio over Daphile gets clicking/popping just the same as with the old device. So I guess it's probably connected to its design (or I had the misfortune to again get a device with the same technical problem being present).

I dont' think i'll replace it again, though. Too much probabilty it's design issue. However since HDD flac reproduction is good I'll continue to use it. As for the internet radio I have the alternative through modified RPi/Digi+Pro setup.
I'd suspect Internet latency is causing buffer exhaust. Have you tried increasing Daphiles equivalent of "buffer before play" to max to see if that makes the problem go away?

Nov 8, 2018 at 5:33 PM Post #834 of 1,112
I'd suspect Internet latency is causing buffer exhaust. Have you tried increasing Daphiles equivalent of "buffer before play" to max to see if that makes the problem go away?

I tried with bigger buffering in the past, though never max, nothing changed, even frequency didn't change. I'll try max, nothing to lose.

Nov 10, 2018 at 11:07 AM Post #835 of 1,112
I recently purchased a Topping D10, with the intention of using it as a USB to SPDIF converter. It was a 2fer, as it can also be used as a dac as well. To my surprise, the dac is very nice to listen to. When I use it as a converter, I run the spdif out to a rather ancient (by dac years) Adcom GDA-600, which is a 20 bit multi bit converter. Some times I run it to my PS Audio Link DAC III. The link dac has a usb input, but it is limited to 16/44, with spdif it can do 24 bit up to 192 kHz.
Curious about the Topping D10 myself, it's all black (so would match everyting I have so far vs the silver body on the Eitr) and it's been compared on another site to measurably do a better job at half the price. So why am I still getting the Eitr? Not sure.

Nov 10, 2018 at 1:28 PM Post #836 of 1,112
Curious about the Topping D10 myself, it's all black (so would match everyting I have so far vs the silver body on the Eitr) and it's been compared on another site to measurably do a better job at half the price. So why am I still getting the Eitr? Not sure.
I had the same debate with myself over that issue. 2 reasons I went with the Topping:

1: Lower price, it is about half the price of the Schiit Eiter
2: It is also a very nice DAC

So it is a 2fer

Nov 10, 2018 at 3:29 PM Post #837 of 1,112
I had the same debate with myself over that issue. 2 reasons I went with the Topping:

1: Lower price, it is about half the price of the Schiit Eiter
2: It is also a very nice DAC

So it is a 2fer
Eitr just got in, so I'll give it a test run and see how my ears feel about them. Might grab the Topping too before the 15 day return expires.. See how the wifey feels before ordering that....:D

Last edited:
Nov 10, 2018 at 8:42 PM Post #838 of 1,112
I don't see any creditable reviews for the Topping D10. So who are you trusting? I wouldn't base any purchase decision on the lone audiosciencereview.com article I found... down that path lies midfi

Last edited:
Nov 10, 2018 at 8:48 PM Post #839 of 1,112
I don't see any creditable reviews for the Topping D10. So who are you trusting? I wouldn't base any purchase decision on an audiosciencereview.com article... down that path lies midfi
I'm
I don't see any creditable reviews for the Topping D10. So who are you trusting? I wouldn't base any purchase decision on the lone audiosciencereview.com article I found... down that path lies midfi
I'm listening to it right now with Tidal Lossless Audio player, Miles Davis's SO WHAT.. and to be honest not getting that initial WOW.. this was worth $200! Does this have a burn in period? And I am tired so maybe need to listen with that morning cup of coffee :) that or my Audi-Gd 11.28 has some descent parts inside.. Got 15 days..

Nov 10, 2018 at 9:27 PM Post #840 of 1,112
I'm

I'm listening to it right now with Tidal Lossless Audio player, Miles Davis's SO WHAT.. and to be honest not getting that initial WOW.. this was worth $200! Does this have a burn in period? And I am tired so maybe need to listen with that morning cup of coffee :) that or my Audi-Gd 11.28 has some descent parts inside.. Got 15 days..
You are not going to be hearing a whole lot of difference for the most part. It could be that your Audi-Gd has a very good USB port. Listen for low end frequency tightening and cleaner high frequency detail, those should be the area's you should hear the most, if any differences.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back