Schiit Eitr impression and USB-SPDIF converters discussion
Nov 11, 2018 at 10:59 AM Post #841 of 1,112
You are not going to be hearing a whole lot of difference for the most part. It could be that your Audi-Gd has a very good USB port. Listen for low end frequency tightening and cleaner high frequency detail, those should be the area's you should hear the most, if any differences.
With better gear you get into increased mid range resolution, improved dynamics and solid vs weak tone color... what you describe is just the start of the journey.
I'm

I'm listening to it right now with Tidal Lossless Audio player, Miles Davis's SO WHAT.. and to be honest not getting that initial WOW.. this was worth $200! Does this have a burn in period? And I am tired so maybe need to listen with that morning cup of coffee :) that or my Audi-Gd 11.28 has some descent parts inside.. Got 15 days..

What are you using for a source? The Eitr can't fix source clocking/power supply weaknesses... experienced that playing around with Allo USBridge using their stock SMPS.

Nov 11, 2018 at 11:29 AM Post #842 of 1,112
The sad truth is that many DAC's have poor USB receiver's in them, and this is ever more true as the older DAC's with USB often were very dismal at best. My 10+ year old PS Audio Link DAC III has a horrible USB receiver in it, and it only works with 16/44 signals. I have a CyberDrive USB stick drive that performs better in that respect and sound's very good with PCM and DSD signals (it just was not made to the same quality standard as the PS Audio).
So using the Topping D10 as a USB to s/pdif converter with the PS Audio makes a very nice DAC for computer files. One form of thinking is to use a powered USB hub to give you better USB to USB signal and power to a DAC.

Nov 11, 2018 at 1:34 PM Post #843 of 1,112
The sad truth is that many DAC's have poor USB receiver's in them, and this is ever more true as the older DAC's with USB often were very dismal at best. My 10+ year old PS Audio Link DAC III has a horrible USB receiver in it, and it only works with 16/44 signals... C.
Its not the USB 1.1 connection that's the issue with the DLink III, it's the era of the D/A chip design. Had one before the Metrum Octave, it had incurable "digititus", lots of listening fatigue on any input option. Nowadays you can pick up a Chord or Schiit DAC and do much better for the D/A tech. As to separate USB power... cheap hubs don't help. Options that allow you to replace the 5V USB supplied to DAC phy chip with known good power supply do. But they cost...

Last edited:
Nov 11, 2018 at 3:07 PM Post #844 of 1,112
My Eitr cleaned up the sound of my Mimby by quite a wide margin, however it had almost no effect on my R2R-1. So as @timb5881 mentioned, if you have a top USB solution, the overall effect will be minimal.

Also, take anything from that other site with a grain of salt. Their dear leaders approach is anything but scientific.

Nov 11, 2018 at 3:40 PM Post #845 of 1,112
Its not the USB 1.1 connection that's the issue with the DLink III, it's the era of the D/A chip design. Had one before the Metrum Octave, it had incurable "digititus", lots of listening fatigue on any input option. Nowadays you can pick up a Chord or Schiit DAC and do much better for the D/A tech. As to separate USB power... cheap hubs don't help. Options that allow you to replace the 5V USB supplied to DAC phy chip with known good power supply do. But they cost...
I disagree with you on the sound of DLINK III. I find it very analog like when using the coax input. I am listening to it now, into a Schiit Vali2 and find it very musical. It maybe that you were looking for a different sound than what the DLINK III puts out.

Nov 11, 2018 at 4:21 PM Post #846 of 1,112
I disagree with you on the sound of DLINK III. I find it very analog like when using the coax input. I am listening to it now, into a Schiit Vali2 and find it very musical. It maybe that you were looking for a different sound than what the DLINK III puts out.
The DLInk III was enjoyable as long as you didn't have a lot of energy in the treble but a lot of pop music is pretty energetic there and groups like the Cranberries, Florence and the Machine,Peter Gabriel could really make you grit your teeth
with the D/A conversion high frequency harmonic issues.

Nov 11, 2018 at 7:42 PM Post #847 of 1,112
You are not going to be hearing a whole lot of difference for the most part. It could be that your Audi-Gd has a very good USB port. Listen for low end frequency tightening and cleaner high frequency detail, those should be the area's you should hear the most, if any differences.
Thanks, I did hear/feel some minor touches there,
With better gear you get into increased mid range resolution, improved dynamics and solid vs weak tone color... what you describe is just the start of the journey.

What are you using for a source? The Eitr can't fix source clocking/power supply weaknesses... experienced that playing around with Allo USBridge using their stock SMPS.
So 24 hours later and happy to get a feel for this unit. Music seems more organic in sound, slightly wider stage as mentioned 1000 times on this thread, you got to check this track out.. Dove by Cymande. Oh my source is a Windows 10 PC. Tidal subscription up to Master quality. Connected to my Schiit EITR/Audio-GD 11.28. I'm still trippn on this Dove track...lol.. Kinda sounds like Santana. So yes, happy with the Schiiter, the Schitmiester, Schitarama running wild...the SchiitSting!! Cool gadget, like it.

Nov 11, 2018 at 7:50 PM Post #848 of 1,112
The DLInk III was enjoyable as long as you didn't have a lot of energy in the treble but a lot of pop music is pretty energetic there and groups like the Cranberries, Florence and the Machine,Peter Gabriel could really make you grit your teeth
with the D/A conversion high frequency harmonic issues.
I guess the best way to describe this, I like and you do not. Fair Enough?

Nov 11, 2018 at 7:58 PM Post #849 of 1,112
Thanks, I did hear/feel some minor touches there,

So 24 hours later and happy to get a feel for this unit. Music seems more organic in sound, slightly wider stage as mentioned 1000 times on this thread, you got to check this track out.. Dove by Cymande. Oh my source is a Windows 10 PC. Tidal subscription up to Master quality. Connected to my Schiit EITR/Audio-GD 11.28. I'm still trippn on this Dove track...lol.. Kinda sounds like Santana. So yes, happy with the Schiiter, the Schitmiester, Schitarama running wild...the SchiitSting!! Cool gadget, like it.
So is the Eiter a keeper?

Nov 13, 2018 at 6:03 PM Post #852 of 1,112
Just got an used eitr off this site for cheapp. I can finally hear the timbre of instruments coming through on my Mimby+CTH Hd600. It's eerily realistic, and very engaging with acoustic instruments, dynamics seem better too. I never realized how much of a trooper this DAC was. I can't recommend this enough if you have a Modi Multibit.

Nov 18, 2018 at 5:13 PM Post #853 of 1,112
Just got an used eitr off this site for cheapp. I can finally hear the timbre of instruments coming through on my Mimby+CTH Hd600. It's eerily realistic, and very engaging with acoustic instruments, dynamics seem better too. I never realized how much of a trooper this DAC was. I can't recommend this enough if you have a Modi Multibit.
Interesting posts, @BrokeSkoolBoi (I shudder at my financial memories of being a student... good handle, eh). I'm going to try and clean up my WiFi signal between my 'source' and my 'listening nook'. If I have left over $ at year's end, I might also pick up an EITR....

Nov 21, 2018 at 12:29 PM Post #854 of 1,112
So I get bored super easy so just for SCHIITS I ordered the Topping D10 DAC off Amazon to compare the two. It will be in this Friday so the weekend is set for the showdown! I have my doubts for the D10 because the Schiit really turned my 2 current DAc/amps into little power houses, imagine feeling the bass rattle off a HD6XX headphone! I don't have to imagine that! Yes the Black LAbel has a BAss switch but not that much air moves without the Schiit, (yeah i know if your a basshead dont count on the Senhiesers...just surprised feeling them shake like that listening to Drakes Nonstop track.. :D I like to use my X2 cans for Drake tracks, anyway...) I'm not sure why the Schiit needs an external power source to get it going and like how the Toppng D10 auto turns on and off using just the usb cables power source. The Topping D10 is all black as well and would match my ALL BLACK SCHEME. (PC/ROUTER/HEADPHONES/AMPDACS/SPEAKERS).

Nov 21, 2018 at 12:42 PM Post #855 of 1,112
So I get bored super easy so just for SCHIITS I ordered the Topping D10 DAC off Amazon to compare the two. It will be in this Friday so the weekend is set for the showdown! I have my doubts for the D10 because the Schiit really turned my 2 current DAc/amps into little power houses, imagine feeling the bass rattle off a HD6XX headphone! I don't have to imagine that! Yes the Black LAbel has a BAss switch but not that much air moves without the Schiit, (yeah i know if your a basshead dont count on the Senhiesers...just surprised feeling them shake like that listening to Drakes Nonstop track.. :D I like to use my X2 cans for Drake tracks, anyway...) I'm not sure why the Schiit needs an external power source to get it going and like how the Toppng D10 auto turns on and off using just the usb cables power source. The Topping D10 is all black as well and would match my ALL BLACK SCHEME. (PC/ROUTER/HEADPHONES/AMPDACS/SPEAKERS).
I've been waiting for someone to make a comparison between those two as SPDIF converters, I'm glad you're doing one. I'll be waiting for your impressions. :ksc75smile:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back