Schiit Decrapifier released - USB power isolator
Sep 7, 2015 at 5:07 AM Post #466 of 578
  Some reason that doesn't surprise me much. The cleaner the power the better in my experience as clean power whether from the Wyrd or elsewhere really cleans things up. I just use one Wyrd and a cheap $50 furman power conditioner. Oddly I found a $30 audiophile power cable going directly to my desktop computer to make some of the biggest difference, especially in terms of bass which is very big and powerful sounding now, it's silky smooth with great dynamics and everything is very fleshed out and clear. I think cleaning up the power going to the computer itself really helped clean up dirty USB ports. Maybe another Wyrd or something will improve things more.

Yes, clean power is SOOOOO important. My system uses 4 Powervar power conditioners. 2 of them are 20-amp rated units, 2 of them are 16-amp rated units. The Powervar conditioners have incredibly LOW output impedance, and excel at bringing noise on the neutral leg to ground, and dissipate it.

I also use a WYRD to feed an outboard USB SATA drive case holding an SSD that I rip CD's to using DBPoweramp. I can tell the difference between using a WYRD to feed the ripped CDs to the SSD vs. not using a WYRD and just using the stock USB bus on the PC that I use to do the ripping!

My theory is that even though the data is digital, the noise on the analog waveform carrying the digital data, can negatively affect the sound quality of the data being ripped to the SSD. If I take the same SSD that I ripped the same CD to, I can hear the difference between a track ripped being fed to the drive from the WYRD vs the same track being fed to the same drive over the standard USB bus. The track being routed through the WYRD sounds more open, holographic, and better!!

I know I know, "But it's DIGITAL, and DIGITAL is the same 1s and 0s." Well, apparently my ears are telling me otherwise! LOL

-TRQ

Sep 7, 2015 at 10:03 AM Post #467 of 578
Its very simple to explain why, as the digital data are still variable analog voltages to represent 0 or 1 are stable noisefree powersupply:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_signal
File:Imagen_4.png

Sep 7, 2015 at 10:04 AM Post #468 of 578
Its very simple to explain why, as the digital data are still variable analog voltages to represent 0 or 1, so stable noisefree powersupply are still needed to improve quality:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_signal
220px-Imagen_4.png

Sep 7, 2015 at 9:46 PM Post #470 of 578
  my pc usbs are noisy really noisy, some of my dacs are unusable without using something like a wyrd, the static nastiness just injects itself in to the music.

maybe try to buy some cheap usb card instead of using what's probably integrated to the motherboard? chances are that would at least reduce the problem.

Sep 8, 2015 at 3:02 PM Post #471 of 578
Or an isolator. It limits playback to 32/92. Doesn't have to be an issue for everyone. I'll make that sacrifice in return for a dead silent background.
Running PC - isolator - Wyrd - DAC.

Sep 8, 2015 at 7:06 PM Post #472 of 578
  my pc usbs are noisy really noisy, some of my dacs are unusable without using something like a wyrd, the static nastiness just injects itself in to the music.

Disabling power savings often work. Typically just disabling any power savings, and see what happens. Laptops throttle all the way down to effective 400MHz. Just a heads heads-up.

Sep 9, 2015 at 4:33 AM Post #473 of 578

Disabling power savings often work. Typically just disabling any power savings, and see what happens. Laptops throttle all the way down to effective 400MHz. Just a heads heads-up.

Well disabling power saving probably means your CPU fans are shouting full blast non-stop. Which noise does one prefer? Doesn't help laptops longevity much either..

Nov 21, 2015 at 6:26 PM Post #475 of 578
  Is there anyone can tell how much the Schiit Wyrd imporved Meridian Explorer? I use ME line out to amplifier to drive HD600. Thanks!

Not much,

In my experience, you can use the line-output from the Meridian Explorer without much concern for the USB power source. The headphone amplifier output, however, had considerably better sound, and was an improvement from a better power source.

Nov 21, 2015 at 7:33 PM Post #476 of 578
  Not much,

In my experience, you can use the line-output from the Meridian Explorer without much concern for the USB power source. The headphone amplifier output, however, had considerably better sound, and was an improvement from a better power source.

Oh. I see. Thank you very muh,Sheldaze!

Dec 9, 2015 at 3:58 PM Post #477 of 578
Ordered one of these to power a Wyred4Sound uLink.

It was either this or pay more for just a 9V "audiophile" linear power supply.  The Wyrd seemed like a better option.

I'll let you know how it works out.

Dec 12, 2015 at 5:12 PM Post #478 of 578
I plugged in the Wyrd and connected it up with some cables I had laying around while I wait for the PYST cables.

Right off the bat, the noise floor is much improved.  My son kicked me off the system so that's all I can report for now.

He's addicted to Rainbox Six Siege....

Dec 12, 2015 at 7:01 PM Post #479 of 578
Would the Wyrd be redundant if paired with an iUSB Power Supply and/or Uptone Regen?

Pondering selling mine now that I have the other two, but want to make sure it has nothing to provide that the Regen/iUSB don't first....

Dec 13, 2015 at 2:14 AM Post #480 of 578
Would the Wyrd be redundant if paired with an iUSB Power Supply and/or Uptone Regen?

Pondering selling mine now that I have the other two, but want to make sure it has nothing to provide that the Regen/iUSB don't first....

on principle any one of those could be redundant with everything. those stuff have nothing a DAC couldn't have on it's own, that's why we call them "magic boxes".
so if there really is some audible improvement, it might suggest there is a problem somewhere in the signal chain that needs fixing. until you know what "the problem" is, or even if you have one, there is no principle to say what device will do what and in which quantity.
stacking up random components isn't really the leading method to build great electronic systems with high signal fidelity, but who knows ^_^.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back