Schiit DACs (Bifrost and Gungnir down, one to go)? The information and anticipation thread.
Jul 28, 2012 at 6:04 PM Post #2,806 of 3,339
Quote:

Well yes, but when the only difference is the driver he's using then if they're both bit-perfect they should be the same since they're going through the exact same hardware.

But that hardware is not doing the same thing. With a different workload, operational noise and jitter within the computer changes. If you open the case of a stationary computer and listen to it while running for a short while, you should be able to hear some of this clearly with your naked ears. I find it hard to believe that any electronics in such an environment would be unaffected. However, almost everything in a computer is error-corrected and has headroom to spare. Not so with streaming audio...

I think I have heard this with my headphones (Denon 2000) connected directly to the inbuilt audio in my laptop, stressing the memory and not the CPU so that fan noise wouldn't be an issue. Could be placebo though, since I knew what I was doing and I did expect a difference.

Note also that if yeehc0729 had some music in a high enough resolution, he might have been using different sample rates with the different drivers. The higher sample rate of the Windows driver would then have three effects; firstly making every bit way less important, secondly making jitter and noise more of a problem, and lastly stressing all involved hardware more. Remember that the audio card was not built for 192 kHz sampling rates. And that it's a doubling of the amount of data to process, see first paragraph... sorry if I got you into a loop there. :p

Jul 28, 2012 at 9:20 PM Post #2,807 of 3,339
Quote:

But that hardware is not doing the same thing. With a different workload, operational noise and jitter within the computer changes. If you open the case of a stationary computer and listen to it while running for a short while, you should be able to hear some of this clearly with your naked ears. I find it hard to believe that any electronics in such an environment would be unaffected. However, almost everything in a computer is error-corrected and has headroom to spare. Not so with streaming audio...

I think I have heard this with my headphones (Denon 2000) connected directly to the inbuilt audio in my laptop, stressing the memory and not the CPU so that fan noise wouldn't be an issue. Could be placebo though, since I knew what I was doing and I did expect a difference.

Note also that if yeehc0729 had some music in a high enough resolution, he might have been using different sample rates with the different drivers. The higher sample rate of the Windows driver would then have three effects; firstly making every bit way less important, secondly making jitter and noise more of a problem, and lastly stressing all involved hardware more. Remember that the audio card was not built for 192 kHz sampling rates. And that it's a doubling of the amount of data to process, see first paragraph... sorry if I got you into a loop there. :p

Alright, I guess technically that could possibly occur. Regardless, it seems unlikely to me, but I suppose with computers you never know.

Shall we get back to general Schiit discussion?

Jul 30, 2012 at 12:40 PM Post #2,809 of 3,339
I found a new home for my second Bifrost!

Jul 30, 2012 at 12:48 PM Post #2,810 of 3,339
Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
Jul 30, 2012 at 5:21 PM Post #2,811 of 3,339
Quote:

What tube amp is that if you don't mind me asking? Do you use it with the Lyr or just directly with your speakers ?

Jul 30, 2012 at 5:26 PM Post #2,812 of 3,339
Quote:

This picture looks familiar... Like I've seen this on reddit today... Hmmmm. 
ph34r.gif

Jul 31, 2012 at 6:16 AM Post #2,813 of 3,339
Quote:
What tube amp is that if you don't mind me asking? Do you use it with the Lyr or just directly with your speakers ?

Cayin A-60T.  I use it only to drive the RF-82s!

Jul 31, 2012 at 8:48 PM Post #2,815 of 3,339
Hello everyone,

I've been using my Bifrost for the past week and find it to be a phenomenal DAC compared to my previous FiiO E17. When i received the DAC it didn't come with a USB 2.0 A to B cable so i searched everywhere in my house and finally found one in my basement. The cable is made by some cheap china brand called 'chinglung' and feels pretty cheap but works nonetheless. My question now is for those who have the USB version, what USB cables are you using and what are your opinions on the USB cables making a difference in sound. 

I saw Pangea's USB cable on sale for $19.99 and was tempted to buy it but figure i'd try to get some first hand opinions before doing so.

Jul 31, 2012 at 9:51 PM Post #2,816 of 3,339
My question now is for those who have the USB version, what USB cables are you using and what are your opinions on the USB cables making a difference in sound. 

USB cables carry a digital signal. If a digital signal is 'less pure' or whatever you want to call it, the signal will not arrive at the other end. They are not like analogue cables. It's either 0100010 or nothing. No extra 0001 on the end to give more bass.

Jul 31, 2012 at 10:48 PM Post #2,817 of 3,339
Quote:
USB cables carry a digital signal. If a digital signal is 'less pure' or whatever you want to call it, the signal will not arrive at the other end. They are not like analogue cables. It's either 0100010 or nothing. No extra 0001 on the end to give more bass.

Yea, but "possible" placebo should count for something.

Aug 1, 2012 at 8:03 AM Post #2,818 of 3,339
Quote:
How do you like the Klipshes, bcart180?

I have no complaints.  Actually, my only gripe is that being an apartment dweller I can't listen at high levels.  But, for my first set of decent speakers I am pleased!

Aug 1, 2012 at 8:37 AM Post #2,819 of 3,339
Quote:
Hello everyone,

I've been using my Bifrost for the past week and find it to be a phenomenal DAC compared to my previous FiiO E17. When i received the DAC it didn't come with a USB 2.0 A to B cable so i searched everywhere in my house and finally found one in my basement. The cable is made by some cheap china brand called 'chinglung' and feels pretty cheap but works nonetheless. My question now is for those who have the USB version, what USB cables are you using and what are your opinions on the USB cables making a difference in sound. 

I saw Pangea's USB cable on sale for $19.99 and was tempted to buy it but figure i'd try to get some first hand opinions before doing so.

Monoprice cables for me, I spent $15-20 for all the cables in my current setup (and a couple extras as well).

For USB there typically isn't any difference short of it just not working properly.

Aug 1, 2012 at 9:45 AM Post #2,820 of 3,339
Quote:

Monoprice cables for me, I spent $15-20 for all the cables in my current setup (and a couple extras as well).

For USB there typically isn't any difference short of it just not working properly.

Arggh.  They are cables carrying an *analog* signal *representing* digital ones and zeros.  Little ones and zeros marching happily in pristine formation down a cable is an oversimplified model we have in our minds.  Additionally they are *electrical* cables, meaning they can carry electrical and RF noise into the system, including the sensitive digital clock, thus affecting jitter.  So yes, they can matter.  Fortunately you don't have to spend a lot to find out if the cable makes an audible difference to you.  Many people have said good things about Monoprice.  Personally, I happen to like the Audioquest Forest USB very much for about $30 US for the .6 meter length.  So you can try these or others, and if you don't personally hear any significant difference, return them; or even if you don't send them back, you haven't spent a fortune.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back