Schiit DACs (Bifrost and Gungnir down, one to go)? The information and anticipation thread.
Jan 23, 2012 at 7:54 PM Post #2,116 of 3,339
Quote:
Not sure if it's enough to play the lottery again.

Pretty sure it won't be a lottery if he ships you a third unit.  I doubt Jason'll do anything short of inspect every part of the unit carefully before shipping one out to you again.  If anything were to be wrong with a third unit upon receipt, it'd have to do with something pertaining to shipping/customs.

Besides, Jason has no incentive to ship you a bum unit.  I doubt shipping to Australia is cheap.

Jan 23, 2012 at 8:20 PM Post #2,117 of 3,339
Some sound impressions fwiw. Feeding a Lyr with '65 Bugle Boys and listening through a rev.2 LCD-2. Really open "airy" sound. Lacks the bottom end weight and refinement I'm used to from Audio-GD gear, but it actually seems a more balanced presentation across the spectrum. My greatest concern of a thin overly clinical sound is unfounded. There's head-boppin' and toe-tappin inducing synergy here. Even pre burn in there's non of the upper end brittleness I was expecting. The Amperex tubes may also be at play here, they are incredibly smooth imo.

I have noted that cohesion seems to have improved from when I first turned the unit on yesterday. I expect the bass to improve with burn in as others have documented. If that doesn't eventuate tube rolling is also an option.

Jan 23, 2012 at 9:44 PM Post #2,118 of 3,339

Quote:
I agree that Olor1n has had an unfortunate chain of events occur with respect to his Bifrost order but I do think that publishing the event in advance of Schiit's opportunity to correct the matter leaves a little to be desired.  I certainly hope that Olor1n doesnt have a boss at work which operates on the same basis as he does or we will all be reading about Olor1n's mistakes before he gets a chance to correct them.  
wink_face.gif

Wouldnt it be better to take this kind of event offline and deal with Jason via email rather than 'hang out your dirty laundry' in the public realm?  If there was no acceptable resolution after a reasonable period of time then yes, please tell the Headfi community, but otheriwse I would give Schiit the chance to correct without dragging their reputation through the mud.

It looks llike Jason has done the right thing in fixing this situation.  Paying for the return shipping, personally inspecting the replacement unit before posting it back out is a pretty good standard.  Most other companies wouldnt measure up to this.  If the additional damage was caused by the freight carrier then that is outside of Jason's control.  Although, I guess, that Jason will also pick up the bill on that one and make sure that Olor1n is a happy and satisfied customer at the end of the day.

I hope that Olor1n gets a perfectly working Schiit rig because besides being great value, they are a great bit of kit.  

I don't mind seeing, no, I rather like to see this kind of posts about vendors.
Everyone makes mistakes once in a while but what matters more to me is how it's handled after the milk is spilled.
Internet is filled with too many faceless shops and it's refreshing to see a vendor coming forth in a public forum to remedy an unfortunate situation rather than hiding behind emails to minimize the damage. If anything, I am now more comfortable buying from Schiit since I now know that should anything goes wrong I would be taken care.

Jan 23, 2012 at 10:10 PM Post #2,119 of 3,339
^^"six minutes..."

After reading all the good reviews I've finally placed a Bifrost order. It'll be a while before it ships but should be a nice upgrade over my TiHD.

Jan 24, 2012 at 2:07 AM Post #2,120 of 3,339
To Olor1n -   I agree that my posts are generally glowing about Schiit.  This positive view has been built from a combination of enjoyment of Schiit products as well as the personal interactions I have had with Jason.  They are ceratinly well earned and not blindly given.

I must admit that soon after buying the Lyr I made my mind up that I was going to buy the statement rig.  I even bought a Bifrost in the interim as a time filler whilst waiting for the statement gear to hit the market.  I never expected to like the Bifrost or Lyr as much as I have enjoyed it and think that even when I purchase the statement gear that I will likely keep the entry rig.

The main thing here though is the need for Olor1n to receive his working Schiit rig and I certainly wish him well in this regard.  Waiting is hard enough without having to go through additional pain in returning the item and so on.

Jan 24, 2012 at 9:21 AM Post #2,121 of 3,339
i feel anyone has a right to post their experience as long as sufficient attempt has been made by the buyer to find out whats going on. otherwise it could be perceived as trolling i supppose.  

annnnyyyywayys.  

maybe its just me, but i have a harder time finding differences between DACs than amps and of course headphones. i think the bifrost sounds better than my NOS muse dac.. i think. either way. its a nice unit. not sure if ill be going statement or not. happy for schiit that all their products have worked out so well.  keep up the good work. 

Jan 24, 2012 at 6:10 PM Post #2,122 of 3,339
I put my order for a Bifrost. Now to wait!

I'm looking for cables. What cable would you use to connect the Bifrost to a Bottlehead Crack + HD600? I'm also thinking in getting a Moon Audio Silver Dragon for the HD600. I wan't better bass response and attack with less veiled sound. I'm not looking for too much airness.

Jan 24, 2012 at 6:16 PM Post #2,123 of 3,339
Just an update on my situation. Have provided pics and Jason is as baffled as I am about the state of the Bifrost I received. Schiit are looking after me though and I get to listen to the one I have now until they have a suitable replacement available.

Jan 24, 2012 at 7:01 PM Post #2,124 of 3,339
Assuming Jason didn't personally nurse it right through to shiipping, I wonder if the one he inspected was not the one sent? A mixup further down the chain could explain all...

Anyways, glad you like the sound so far olor1n.

Jan 24, 2012 at 7:21 PM Post #2,125 of 3,339
Thanks AD. I gave it an extended listen last night and the Bifrost passed the test on tracks that found the NFB-10SE wanting. I'm not hearing the thin sound some have mentioned prior to burn in, perhaps the inherent bass and warmth of the LCD-2 and HD650 alleviates that quality to some extent. Despite that, the bass quality is not on par with the 10SE at this stage. It is present but it has less body (particularly in the sub bass) and is not resolved as clearly as the Audio-GD. The impact and dynamics of rhythm instruments aren't as pronounced as a result.

Overall though, it is transparent and there's a distinct sense of depth. I like how the high end accentuates certain details without exaggeration, and without etch or dryness. I really like what I'm hearing. And I don't even have my best tubes installed in the Lyr.

Jan 24, 2012 at 8:42 PM Post #2,126 of 3,339
Glad you got things resolved.  Unfortunately, you will have to suffer through two break-in periods.  I can confirm that the bass continues to get better through the ~150 hour period or so.  I still think I am hearing some improvements 3 weeks into ownership.

Jan 24, 2012 at 9:43 PM Post #2,127 of 3,339
Quote:
I put my order for a Bifrost. Now to wait!

I'm looking for cables. What cable would you use to connect the Bifrost to a Bottlehead Crack + HD600? I'm also thinking in getting a Moon Audio Silver Dragon for the HD600. I wan't better bass response and attack with less veiled sound. I'm not looking for too much airness.

Check this post.

Jan 24, 2012 at 10:11 PM Post #2,128 of 3,339

Quote:
Thanks AD. I gave it an extended listen last night and the Bifrost passed the test on tracks that found the NFB-10SE wanting. I'm not hearing the thin sound some have mentioned prior to burn in, perhaps the inherent bass and warmth of the LCD-2 and HD650 alleviates that quality to some extent. Despite that, the bass quality is not on par with the 10SE at this stage. It is present but it has less body (particularly in the sub bass) and is not resolved as clearly as the Audio-GD. The impact and dynamics of rhythm instruments aren't as pronounced as a result.

Overall though, it is transparent and there's a distinct sense of depth. I like how the high end accentuates certain details without exaggeration, and without etch or dryness. I really like what I'm hearing. And I don't even have my best tubes installed in the Lyr.

I second your impressions using my HD800.  The treble in particular is as you say, unlike the 'neutral' treble of something like the Benchmark DAC1.  Nice that you notice the same using the LCD2 and HD650.

Jan 25, 2012 at 1:12 PM Post #2,129 of 3,339
With 300 hours on the Bifrost, it continues to be enjoyable. I had been calling it the Swiss DAC (neutral, punctual, detail-oriented and civil if hardly polite,) but now consider it more the Wikileaks DAC - revealing everything even when that's not the best idea.

If it were a phono cartridge, I'd call it the classic moving coil - slightly tipped up in the treble. Of course that's not possible since as a modern digital device it is inherently perfect in all dimensions (insert stifled guffaw here.) But I think that impression springs from the detail and the Bifrost's refusal to "pad" the bass.

Not that there's a lack of bass. Differentiating individual bass notes is much eaier than with my previous DAC (PS Audio DL III,) but the PS adds "warmth" that is often beguiling.

In cables, I'd stay away from silver or anything that emphasizes the treble. For me, going from lower-priced Audioquest to Nordost brought more detail but also more high end, which many might consider excessive.

Emphathy to olor1n, such trials afflict us all. But, hey, it builds character, right?

Based on my experience with both Schiit products and the company, I'm planning on buying the statement pair.

Jan 25, 2012 at 4:40 PM Post #2,130 of 3,339
Don't mean to be down on the Schiit marketing strategy here as all of their products appear beautiful and well thought out, but I'm curious whether anyone here is waiting for the mid-level balanced dac?  There seem to be a lot of people (myself included) waiting with bated breath for the statement dac, but haven't heard anyone really craving the middle child. Poor middle children.  Having said that, I am of course also incessantly checking for any updated information morsels that Jason might let slip.  Oh, the update addiction.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back