Schiit DACs (Bifrost and Gungnir down, one to go)? The information and anticipation thread.
Jan 19, 2012 at 5:29 PM Post #2,086 of 3,339
Very nice review! I wonder how would Bifrost compare against the Yulong D18. The only thing I don't like from what TubeDriver wrote about the Bifrost is "The bottom end/bass as reproduced by the Bifrost was leaner". From what I read about the D18 are wonders but a direct comparison with the DACs on the I-want-list is desirable.
 ​
I'm using now a Bottlehead Crack with HD600 and an iBasso D12 as DAC with redbook FLACs. Sincerely I feel the only thing I want to improve the most is the bass; I need something more defined, more atack, cleaner low end. A better soundstage and separation of voices and instruments would be a plus.

Jan 19, 2012 at 7:08 PM Post #2,087 of 3,339
Depending on your chain, Bifrost's bass may be tight and very impactful. With Palladium IC's and the silver cable, my HE-500's has VERY strong bass. At the moment, Bifrost is feeding a BA and Modded HD800's. Bass is more than fine 
wink_face.gif

Quote:
Very nice review! I wonder how would Bifrost compare against the Yulong D18. The only thing I don't like from what TubeDriver wrote about the Bifrost is "The bottom end/bass as reproduced by the Bifrost was leaner". From what I read about the D18 are wonders but a direct comparison with the DACs on the I-want-list is desirable.
 ​
I'm using now a Bottlehead Crack with HD600 and an iBasso D12 as DAC with redbook FLACs. Sincerely I feel the only thing I want to improve the most is the bass; I need something more defined, more atack, cleaner low end. A better soundstage and separation of voices and instruments would be a plus.

Jan 19, 2012 at 10:04 PM Post #2,088 of 3,339
I would echo what mrrogers stated.  The Bifrost bass is very fast, tight and detailed.  I don't really think it is bass shy but my personal preferences would be for just a little more of it.  I am still adjusting a bit from the more bloated bass of the DacMagic but the Bifrost does go deep, it just is more controlled then what I am used to.  

Bifrost bass = quality over quantity

Dacmagic bass = quantity over quality

Jan 20, 2012 at 2:51 AM Post #2,089 of 3,339
Very nice review TubeDriver. I agree very closely with your read of the Bifrost, this from a headphone (Bifrost vs two other dacs) perspective.

Jan 20, 2012 at 1:21 PM Post #2,090 of 3,339
I'd agree it chain dependent.  I listen to speakers the majority of time.  I liked the bass from Bifrost, but after I upgraded my amp power cord from a Crump Asylum DIY to the Belden 83803 DIY, I really liked it.  Better definition, deeper more powerful etc. etc.  I feel I have both quantity and quality.

FWIW, I tried both DIY power cords on Bifrost just to experiment and did not hear a difference from stock.

Jan 20, 2012 at 4:14 PM Post #2,092 of 3,339
I just got Bifrost/Asgard combo and have been using them for about 15 hours. I must say that, so far, I am not impressed with the bass quality & quantity. It sounds like the bass is recessed so there is less of it especially sub-bass that I used to love with D7000. Also, highs are a bit brighter than what I am used to (E7/E9). I am hoping they will improve as they break-in...
They do warm my hands quite nicely though.

Jan 20, 2012 at 4:31 PM Post #2,093 of 3,339
A well written and conveyed review of the Bifrost.
Thanks for taking the time to put this together, TubeDriver.
I can imagine your ‘flea-watt’ system really putting the life into some well recorded club jazz like Bill Evans' 'Sunday at the Village Vangaurd'.

Jan 20, 2012 at 5:53 PM Post #2,094 of 3,339
I just got Bifrost/Asgard combo and have been using them for about 15 hours. I must say that, so far, I am not impressed with the bass quality & quantity. It sounds like the bass is recessed so there is less of it especially sub-bass that I used to love with D7000. Also, highs are a bit brighter than what I am used to (E7/E9). I am hoping they will improve as they break-in...
They do warm my hands quite nicely though.

I have to say I wasn't all that impressed with the Asgard when I heard it at RMAF. It was decent, but nothing special. The price is quite reasonable for what you do get, though, ($250 vs my $800 amp w/tube upgrade) especially considering the parts sourcing and labor is almost entirely American.The Bifrost is certainly a keeper for me, at least until Schiit releases their statement DAC.

One thing you might keep in mind though is the D7000 is pretty sloppy with it's bass. There's a lot of it and it's not well defined. If you have become used to this you will find anything that controls the D7000s wild bass recessed. Give it some dedicated time to get used to, then return to your previous set up after a week or two and see if you still prefer the old ways.

Jan 20, 2012 at 6:25 PM Post #2,095 of 3,339
Give the Bifrost around 80 hours of playing time and you will find bass improves somewhat.   I  now have about 150+ hours on the Bifrost and midrange and bass have   improved (bigger and fuller) and are catching up to the higher frequencies.

Jan 20, 2012 at 6:29 PM Post #2,096 of 3,339
Thanks.  I am pretty evenly split between rock and jazz.  You might be surprised to hear what can come from 8 watts with 100 deb efficient horns.  :wink:

Originally Posted by wkhanna 

A well written and conveyed review of the Bifrost.
Thanks for taking the time to put this together, TubeDriver.
I can imagine your ‘flea-watt’ system really putting the life into some well recorded club jazz like Bill Evans' 'Sunday at the Village Vangaurd'.

Jan 21, 2012 at 2:15 PM Post #2,098 of 3,339
I also agree that sufficient burn-in is needed to let the Bifrost "even out". At approx. 100-150 hours-- I do not keep very careful track-- the bass and mid's have synergized better with the already impressive treble. All in all, I now find myself listening only to enjoy the tunes at hand, as all the technical details have been ironed out and cast to the side. Thank you Schiit. I very much like what the Lyr/Bifrost provides my orthoplanars!

Jan 22, 2012 at 4:43 PM Post #2,100 of 3,339
It is excellent with my LCD-2 rev.2's (using Gold Lions, primarily) and I expect that it would be also very good with the earlier version LCD-2's.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back