Schiit DACs (Bifrost and Gungnir down, one to go)? The information and anticipation thread.
Jan 10, 2012 at 4:02 PM Post #2,056 of 3,339
Ideally, you'd want an optical cable with the correct connectors - forgoing the need for an adaptor. Refraction is a real issue in optical performance, and adaptors tend to increase refraction.

Jan 11, 2012 at 4:38 AM Post #2,057 of 3,339
Hi guys. Silly question, what exactly does 'balanced' mean with regards to output for the highly anticipated next Schiit DAC release? Seen it mentioned a hundred times and don't know what it is..

Since I'm asking questions, might as well try this one out too: I'm planning on buying this sexy piece of machinery to accompany an overhaul of my hi-fi system. It will accompany a marantze PM8004 amp, a pair of paradigm studio 20 speakers, and a mac mini with 800+ gig's of lossless/flac's. My question is, at this level of equipment, is the Bifrost more than sufficient, or should I wait for the mid range unit. I know this forum caters mostly to headphone audiophiles, but I'm sure some of you can make that assesment.

Cheers!

Edit: apparently Android's autocorrect on audiophile is pedophile, happy I caught that..

Jan 11, 2012 at 4:40 AM Post #2,059 of 3,339

Quote:
Ideally, you'd want an optical cable with the correct connectors - forgoing the need for an adaptor. Refraction is a real issue in optical performance, and adaptors tend to increase refraction.

x2

I have them if need be but prefer to avoid them.  I'm actually getting such inconsistent performance via different toslink implementations I'm just going to avoid it where possible now and go Coax.  I'd rather deal w/ the torture of rolling NOS tubes which seems like more of a known quantity with greater resources to research by comparison.  
frown.gif

Jan 11, 2012 at 8:02 AM Post #2,060 of 3,339

Quote:
x2

I have them if need be but prefer to avoid them.  I'm actually getting such inconsistent performance via different toslink implementations I'm just going to avoid it where possible now and go Coax.  I'd rather deal w/ the torture of rolling NOS tubes which seems like more of a known quantity with greater resources to research by comparison.  
frown.gif

Coax isn't an option for me in my 2 main systems, but I have taken to using USB in one of them because the optical was significantly worse sounding.  Not sure if t was due to the source or the DAC's receiver implementation, but the optical was glarey and harsh compared to the USB. 

Jan 11, 2012 at 3:32 PM Post #2,061 of 3,339
Agree. The optical out of my Onkyo  nd-s1 dock is slightly bright and treble hot compared to the coaxial from the same. The coax has better bass texture too. From my mac I have tried optical and USB and there was not much difference.  So I now use USB as it allows me to output 24/192. The USB from the mac is very close in sound quality to the coax from my dock. Even when using PureMusic on the mac. I didn't ever expect the dock to close that gap but it largely has. It took a long time of burning in the after market power supply and dock to get to that point though. I didn't like the dock for ages when I first bought it. 

I have never done a full on comparison but I have set both output sources playing in sync with each other and it is easy to tell when hearing the optical. I have even closed my eyes and made sure that I could not know which input was selected and could still pIck it. 

Jan 11, 2012 at 4:07 PM Post #2,062 of 3,339
I am torn and I need help!
I ordered Asgard and Bifrost (back-ordered, btw) without the USB board. I will be using this rig with a Mac Pro (not MBP)
I was planning to get a Silflex toslink cable ($60 + SH) and use that but now I am thinking maybe I should just add the $100 USB board and be done I've read hundreds of posts about USB vs. optical comparison and there is no clear winner.
Is there really any quality difference between the two?
Thoughts?

Jan 11, 2012 at 4:20 PM Post #2,063 of 3,339
I have (or had) the same setup/decision. While it ultimately comes down to your source, preferences, etc. If my source was at 24/96 or less, I would have preferred the spdif/Silflex route. If I had 24/192 source, then the USB is better than the computer downsampling. My take was that the Bifrost optical receiver implementation was slightly better than its USB. Again, others felt differently so you'll have to be the ultimate judge. One thing to keep in mind - Bifrosts USB doesn't handle 24/176. I ended up getting an Audiophilleo which has a much better USB implementation and connects to Bifrost via coaxial. This setup gives me the best sound and all sample rates (up to 192).

Quote:
I am torn and I need help!
I ordered Asgard and Bifrost (back-ordered, btw) without the USB board. I will be using this rig with a Mac Pro (not MBP)
I was planning to get a Silflex toslink cable ($60 + SH) and use that but now I am thinking maybe I should just add the $100 USB board and be done I've read hundreds of posts about USB vs. optical comparison and there is no clear winner.
Is there really any quality difference between the two?
Thoughts?

Jan 11, 2012 at 8:07 PM Post #2,064 of 3,339
I use the optical out of the Pure iPod dock to the Bifrost and found it better than the USB from the iPad and/or MBP, but I'm playing only 16bit, 44kHz ALAC files.  It was, however, quite close.  The USB implementation is very good on the Bifrost.

Jan 11, 2012 at 8:14 PM Post #2,065 of 3,339
Quote:
Hi guys. Silly question, what exactly does 'balanced' mean with regards to output for the highly anticipated next Schiit DAC release? Seen it mentioned a hundred times and don't know what it is..
Since I'm asking questions, might as well try this one out too: I'm planning on buying this sexy piece of machinery to accompany an overhaul of my hi-fi system. It will accompany a marantze PM8004 amp, a pair of paradigm studio 20 speakers, and a mac mini with 800+ gig's of lossless/flac's. My question is, at this level of equipment, is the Bifrost more than sufficient, or should I wait for the mid range unit. I know this forum caters mostly to headphone audiophiles, but I'm sure some of you can make that assesment.
Cheers!
Edit: apparently Android's autocorrect on audiophile is pedophile, happy I caught that..

In layman's terms, if your amp accepts balanced inputs [XLRs] (and is a fully balanced amp) you will be able to use the balanced outputs of the mid-tier DAC for a marginal gain in sound quality (compared to the single ended outputs of the mid-tier).  Your second question does not really compute properly, but I would venture to guess your Paradigm speakers are resolving enough to leverage anything the mid-tier unit has to offer over the Bifrost.  Hope that helps.

Jan 11, 2012 at 9:29 PM Post #2,066 of 3,339
Thanks. I've decided to go with the Silflex and see how that sounds since the DAC and amp just got shipped
bigsmile_face.gif

Jan 11, 2012 at 9:31 PM Post #2,067 of 3,339
Enjoy!  Which headphones will you be using primarily?

Jan 11, 2012 at 9:32 PM Post #2,068 of 3,339

Quote:
Cheers!

http://www.mediacollege.com/audio/balanced/

Jan 11, 2012 at 10:13 PM Post #2,069 of 3,339

Quote:
Enjoy!  Which headphones will you be using primarily?

I listen to D7000 a lot more than PRO900, and was told that Denons do better with a SS amp due to their low impedance.
Besides, they will be sitting on my work desk so I prefer the unassuming look of Asgard compared to the vacuum-tube lit Valhalaa or Lyr. Coworkers will think either I am loaded or crazy for spending so much money (in their standards) and I hope to have neither impressions.

Jan 12, 2012 at 3:59 PM Post #2,070 of 3,339
I'd also agree.  Coax out of the ND-S1 (with upgraded power supply) is much better than optical.

However, I have had better luck experimenting with optical out of a mac mini running Audirvana plus.  Very close to the sound I get from the dock and maybe better.  Leaves me wondering if the iPod via dock like the ND-S1 or similar transport bypasses all the signal processing the same way Audirvana does on the mini.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back