Schiit DACs (Bifrost and Gungnir down, one to go)? The information and anticipation thread.
Jan 9, 2012 at 6:54 AM Post #2,041 of 3,339
Announced on March 31st LOL... 
biggrin.gif

Jan 9, 2012 at 7:32 AM Post #2,042 of 3,339
Jason: Thank you for the update. Regarding the Q1 DAC, can you elaborate more about the USB code that will be used, same as in the Bifrost? Will it also be the CS8416 + AKM4396?

edit: just realized Jason already answered all my questions in the FAQ. lol, my bad

Jan 9, 2012 at 8:47 AM Post #2,043 of 3,339
Thanks Jason for the update.  It is good to know the approx dimensions too.  

I am really happy for you and Schiit.  Your level of success is greatly deserved, even if it is causing me to learn patience.  
blink.gif

So what is going to come after the Statement gear?  If you have generated such a fantastic reputation and level of good will just from the lower end products...I wonder what will happen when you start to offer up some seriously awesome gear.

Whatever it is... I wish you continued success.

Jan 9, 2012 at 1:38 PM Post #2,045 of 3,339
Thanks for the update, Jason. The Lyr/Bifrost combo that I am currently enjoying will be in use for many years to come, but I am excited to perhaps obtain statement DAC and amp Schiit in the fourth quarter of next year, if I can afford it!
wink.gif

You should seriously consider writing a headphone-centic audiophile handbook to help us simple folk understand the jargon. The humor and honesty that you somehow juggle on you site is an excellent read and as funny as it is informative. Keep up the great work!

Jan 9, 2012 at 7:00 PM Post #2,046 of 3,339

Quote:
Some of the DAC makers (and forums) claim the upsampling helps reduce jitter.  Not sure how true that is, but that might be the difference people hear with upsampling... not so much 'new' bits/info being added to the music, rather the further reduction in jitter from the higher amount of times the data is being sampled.

I can see a variation of this being a reason for the difference.  Jitter is not actually reduced (in fact as sample rates get higher, the same timing errors - the "noise" - become relatively larger compared to the narrower timing tolerances of the sampling - the "signal").  But one thing upsampling does allow is that audible artifacts caused by jitter and/or filtering (which is necessary to convert digital to analog) can be moved out of the audible range.

Jan 9, 2012 at 7:25 PM Post #2,047 of 3,339
In the Feb. 2012 The Absolute Sound magazine's coverage of RMAF, Steven Stone names the Bifrost "Greatest Bargain (for the money)." Also there's a nice big picture.

No mention of the sound, though.

Congrats to Jason and all the Schiit Squad, though this ain't gonna do anything good for the backorder sitauation or the intro of new products... 

Jan 10, 2012 at 2:27 PM Post #2,049 of 3,339
Can someone with a Bitfrost and Mac Pro help me with the cable I need?
Do I need a toslink-to-toslink cable or toslink-to-mini-toslink cable? I am pretty sure the Mac Pro has a toslink in/out but not sure about Bitforst.
Thanks!

Jan 10, 2012 at 3:39 PM Post #2,052 of 3,339

Quote:
Full size toslink on both ends. 

INCORRECT, full toslink does NOT fit into the Mac. If you get a full toslink, you will need an adapter to make it fit.  They are inexpensive and available, but you'll want to anticipate this and have one around lest you find yourself music-less while you wait for another shipment to arrive.

Jan 10, 2012 at 3:40 PM Post #2,053 of 3,339
Here's the adaptor to go into the Mac's headphone/optical combo jack.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?is=REG&sku=516240&Q=&O=&A=details

Jan 10, 2012 at 3:42 PM Post #2,054 of 3,339
Back up...I'm wrong...IF you have a newer Mac Pro.  I was thinking about everything else they have (except the Air, which has no optical at all)

http://www.apple.com/macpro/specs.html

Jan 10, 2012 at 3:48 PM Post #2,055 of 3,339

Quote:
Back up...I'm wrong...IF you have a newer Mac Pro.  I was thinking about everything else they have (except the Air, which has no optical at all)

http://www.apple.com/macpro/specs.html

It's useful to have adapters lying around anyway and the I have heard people use "Mac Pro"  for MacBook Pro before, which would indeed need an adapter. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back