Schiit DACs (Bifrost and Gungnir down, one to go)? The information and anticipation thread.
Jan 6, 2012 at 3:45 AM Post #2,011 of 3,339

Is it the photo or are they actually different?

Unfortunately it's not the photo. The Bifrost's outside finish uses a slightly more "cold" apperance compared to the other Schiit boxes.

Werner.

Jan 6, 2012 at 3:54 AM Post #2,012 of 3,339
Unfortunately it's not the photo. The Bifrost's outside finish uses a slightly more "cold" apperance compared to the other Schiit boxes.

Werner.

So what you are saying is it's a bit frosty?

Yeah I went there :frowning2:

Jan 6, 2012 at 4:01 AM Post #2,013 of 3,339

Quote:
Any word on new DAC's?  The only information I can find is months old.

I asked Jason a while back about the upcoming balanced DACs and he stated that the balanced DAC should be out in the first quarter while the statement one should be in the second quarter.

Jan 6, 2012 at 4:30 AM Post #2,014 of 3,339
I have played with upsampling in PureMusic to 24/192 and then into the Bifrost via USB and I find the sound is more dynamic when upsampled but more natural when played NOS. I personally like USB even though I know well that Jason prefers  coax. 

Jan 6, 2012 at 10:50 AM Post #2,015 of 3,339

Quote:
I asked Jason a while back about the upcoming balanced DACs and he stated that the balanced DAC should be out in the first quarter while the statement one should be in the second quarter.

Thanks for the info.  Is the statement DAC going to be balanced?  Hopefully 1st quarter will be today, not March 31st. 
bigsmile_face.gif

Jan 6, 2012 at 11:35 AM Post #2,016 of 3,339
I was expecting this but my Bifrost is an exact match for my Lyr (less than a week old) I think Schiit fixed the color... or I just got lucky.
biggrin.gif

Quote:

Werner.

Jan 6, 2012 at 11:47 AM Post #2,017 of 3,339
Hey Guys,
I just received my Bifrost last night, so I only have a few hours on it (maybe 3 or 4)....just noticed some attributes I wanted to discuss and see if they are common other user experiences. I'm coming a MS II, so keep that in mind per my observations.

Also should point out that I am using my Bifrost with speakers, Dynaudio Contour S3.4, and close to SOTA Conrad-Johnson tube gear, Premier 17 preamp and LP70S power amp. The two digtial sources are a 2006 Black Macbook streaming AIFF and ALAC files from an external FW drive. Connection to the BiFrost is with an Audioquest Carbon USB cable. Software is PureMusic directing iTunes, using upsampling and memory mode. Additionally an SB Touch connected via Optical TOSLINK to the BiFrost with a Monster M1000 series optical cable (which I've found to be quite good, actually, even though I am not a fan of their audio cables at all...)

The first is that the Bifrost seems to very detailed and revealing, but I find that the highs are pretty aggressive and on the edge of inducing listener fatigue. I can tell you that the first hour of play, it was pretty dreadful. The sound presentation is also thinner and not as full-sounding, though the imaging seems to be pretty fabulous. I find there's a bit a "relentlessness" quality to the Bifrost right now that is a bit hard to take. I did find improvements already by the 3rd or 4th hour mark, but I'm still hearing things I don't like, notably the brightness and "relentlessness". I find the sound to be a bit smoother with the SBT with optical than the asynch USB via the Macbook and AIFF files. 

What can I expect with regarding initial experiences prior to burn-in, how do things change after burn-in, and what are typical burn-in times that folks are experiencing?...I'm guessing 100 hours or so will be required before you can really judge the merits of the Bifrost. I've read some of the post here, but obviously receiving the Bifrost last night  I haven't had time to read 135 pages of posts. 

Any experiences you guys could share most appreciated.

Thanks, 
Stephen aka Puma Cat. 

Jan 6, 2012 at 11:57 AM Post #2,018 of 3,339
Same for me, except got a lot better with just a few hours of burn in and now near the 100 hours mark, the treble is very smooth and non-shrill. The details remains and I'm VERY happy about the Bifrost.
atsmile.gif
 (This of course from my headphones and not a speaker set up)

Quote:

The first is that the Bifrost seems to very detailed and revealing, but I find that the highs are pretty aggressive and on the edge of inducing listener fatigue. I can tell you that the first hour of play, it was pretty dreadful.

Jan 6, 2012 at 1:15 PM Post #2,019 of 3,339
Hi guys! Did anyone come to Bifrost from Musiland 02? Just wondering how big an imrovement in sound to expect.

Jan 6, 2012 at 2:00 PM Post #2,020 of 3,339
Quote:
[…] I think Schiit fixed the color... or I just got lucky.
biggrin.gif

I have a second Valhalla/Bifrost combination on my desk, and here the color differences are not as big as with my first Valhalla/Bifrost setup next to my comfortable chair for headphone listening.

Werner.

Jan 6, 2012 at 2:51 PM Post #2,021 of 3,339

Quote:
The first is that the Bifrost seems to very detailed and revealing, but I find that the highs are pretty aggressive and on the edge of inducing listener fatigue. I can tell you that the first hour of play, it was pretty dreadful. The sound presentation is also thinner and not as full-sounding, though the imaging seems to be pretty fabulous. I find there's a bit a "relentlessness" quality to the Bifrost right now that is a bit hard to take. I did find improvements already by the 3rd or 4th hour mark, but I'm still hearing things I don't like, notably the brightness and "relentlessness". I find the sound to be a bit smoother with the SBT with optical than the asynch USB via the Macbook and AIFF files. 

What can I expect with regarding initial experiences prior to burn-in, how do things change after burn-in, and what are typical burn-in times that folks are experiencing?...I'm guessing 100 hours or so will be required before you can really judge the merits of the Bifrost. I've read some of the post here, but obviously receiving the Bifrost last night  I haven't had time to read 135 pages of posts. 

yes, that is 100% accurate per my own experience with Bifrost/Asgard.  it settles down quite a bit at the 40 hour mark; enough to make it listenable without too much fatigue.  by the 80 hour mark it is pretty much settled down and smooth sounding.  i am near the 100 hour mark and it's still settling although not nearly as drastic and noticeable as before.

Jan 6, 2012 at 3:56 PM Post #2,022 of 3,339

Quote:
I was expecting this but my Bifrost is an exact match for my Lyr (less than a week old) I think Schiit fixed the color... or I just got lucky.
biggrin.gif

Seriously? Hmm....  I want mine to match. You gonna be at the Seattle meet with it later this month, I dont remember if you posted in the meet thread or not. Anyhow, lucky you lol.

Jan 6, 2012 at 6:10 PM Post #2,023 of 3,339
I'm looking at getting a bifrost, but I just had a few questions.

Is the output voltage higher than my ipod line out? (more volume at same knob level)
What interconnect is recommended?
Has anyone used their bifrost with an airport express toslink, how does that work out?

Jan 6, 2012 at 6:16 PM Post #2,024 of 3,339

Quote:
yes, that is 100% accurate per my own experience with Bifrost/Asgard.  it settles down quite a bit at the 40 hour mark; enough to make it listenable without too much fatigue.  by the 80 hour mark it is pretty much settled down and smooth sounding.  i am near the 100 hour mark and it's still settling although not nearly as drastic and noticeable as before.

100 hours is a good milestone to give the Bifrost a serious listen.  I've had mine for a couple of months now and it could just be my imagination, but I actually think it continues to get better.

Jan 6, 2012 at 6:18 PM Post #2,025 of 3,339

Quote:
I'm looking at getting a bifrost, but I just had a few questions.

Is the output voltage higher than my ipod line out? (more volume at same knob level)
What interconnect is recommended?
Has anyone used their bifrost with an airport express toslink, how does that work out?

I have not used the bifrost, but I've used other dacs with an airport express.  It works just fine.  It should work with the bifrost just fine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back