Schiit DACs (Bifrost and Gungnir down, one to go)? The information and anticipation thread.
Nov 28, 2011 at 10:14 AM Post #1,771 of 3,339

Quote:

Only drawback is the iPod not supporting 24/96+ hi-res stuff, but that's an Apple thing really.

Hey, that reminds me of another consideration in favor of USB: Many Apple laptops' Toslink outputs are limited to 24/96 resolution, while the USB connection will allow you to play 24/192 (but not 176.4 for some reason). 

If you're playing CD rips exclusively - 16/44.1 format - then this limitation isn't a bother.  But if you want to play downloads from high-res sites (e.g., HDTracks), then it might be more important to you.

Don't know if other laptops' Toslink outputs are commonly subject to this limitation.

Nov 28, 2011 at 10:57 PM Post #1,772 of 3,339
I'm actually, viscerally, preferring my LCD-2 (rev 2's) to my Grado PS1000's for the first time ever tonight, in almost a year of owning both. System = 2008 Mac Pro Audirvana Pro>Lyr x Gold Lion Tubes>BiFrost Dac. The PS1000's always beat them on the accuracy, but with this combo the LCD-2's are displaying subtleties in the high-end I didn't think they could do. And the midrange & bass, which are not Grado's strong point, are simply astonishing.

There's no simple answer to the audiophile dilemma. The variables include your own brain, and hearing apparatus, just to put it in perspective. One you've gotten deep enough to be a Head-fi.org denizen anything can throw you for a loop.

1) I love this Bifrost machine
2) It will make you re-evaluate other members of your signal chain in a totally new light
3) What was the third thing?

Dec 1, 2011 at 10:08 PM Post #1,777 of 3,339

Quote:
LCD2, Rev 2

Man, I'm glad I waited for Audez'e to release the LCD-3. Now all I have to wait for is the 2K I need to buy a pair.  
rolleyes.gif

Dec 2, 2011 at 1:58 PM Post #1,778 of 3,339

Polished up the ol' woodies just to show you guys the Asgard Bifrost combo.

No pun intended.

Dec 2, 2011 at 7:19 PM Post #1,781 of 3,339
I've left my bifrost on continuously while doing my review listening - just checked; t's warm but not hot to the touch.

Dec 2, 2011 at 11:53 PM Post #1,783 of 3,339
^ ditto, Jason said, and i quote "stack away"... so stack em up on the stock feet and never worry!

M

Dec 3, 2011 at 12:48 AM Post #1,784 of 3,339
^ ditto, Jason said, and i quote "stack away"... so stack em up on the stock feet and never worry!

M

Yeah and the Asgaurd is considerably hotter than either of Schiit's two other head phone amps, and he said it was fine to plop it on the bifrost. Think of it as an extended heat sink.

Dec 3, 2011 at 2:02 PM Post #1,785 of 3,339

Quote:
I stack them, and yea it gets toasty for sure, but the Bifrost is still quite a bit cooler than the Valhalla.

my bifrost runs relatively cool.  it's the asgard sitting on top of it that is literally cooking.  after a few hours even the volume knob is hot (not warm or even toasty but flat out hot).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back