Schiit DACs (Bifrost and Gungnir down, one to go)? The information and anticipation thread.
Dec 4, 2011 at 12:53 PM Post #1,802 of 3,339
I'm in doubt-land myself, really hungering for a better dac than my Cambridge DacMagic, but kinda in need of both xlr and normal outputs on that dac. The Bifrost is a no-go per now because it lacks xlr's. 

Eager to learn more about the next Schiit-dac, seeing as the bifrost is getting raving reviews. 

Dec 4, 2011 at 1:05 PM Post #1,803 of 3,339

Quote:
Hey all,

A couple of quick answers:

1. Balanced amp and DAC--we're trying for a simultaneous release, but we'll probably be announcing in January, no earlier. If one comes first, it's the DAC. The DAC will be worth waiting for, especially if you're looking for a balanced-output piece. We're going to have at least one big surprise in store for you. Remember, all products from now on are "one and only" products--we won't release them unless they are unique in one or more meaningful ways. And yes, we know the definition of "unique."

2. Fuses and other "special part" options--nope, we build them one way, and one way only. I've said it before, if you want to double the price, there's no better way than having a zillion variations on a product. It also makes service really, ahem, *interesting.*

All the best,
Jason

Awesome news on the simultaneous release for both the DAC and the amp. This will be quite exciting!

Dec 4, 2011 at 5:05 PM Post #1,804 of 3,339
Thanks Jason.  Good to know that there will be something interesting to be announced on the intermediate DAC.  The better the performance on the intermediate the more I will anxiously anticipate the Statement gear.  I am already impressed with the Bifrost.  

Thanks for the reply regarding fuse options.  Looks like we will have to take some bravery pills and say goodbye to the warranty if we want to try some audiophile fuses.  What has been your experience with them before?  

So looking back on the year that has been with the release of the Lyr and Bifrost and the impending Intermediate gear... Would you say that the year was more challenging, more rewarding or more fun/stressful than you had anticipated?  Kicking back and riding on the tunes playing from my Schiit rig....I think that it has been an awesome year for you guys.  Well done and thankyou for all of your efforts.

Cheers

Dec 4, 2011 at 7:14 PM Post #1,805 of 3,339
Funny that someone's already begun modding the Bifrost - not that I object to it, just interesting to see it happened so quickly. I'd be tempted if I could solder worth a damn, but even if I could a 5-year warranty is pretty generous for this price range and I'd like to keep it that way. Thanks for the better internal pics, though, especially given we can see under the USB board now! I'm too much of a wuss to open up my USB Bifrost, but otherwise I would to let everyone see a close-up of that, too.

Dec 4, 2011 at 7:22 PM Post #1,806 of 3,339
Hi Jason-

Thanks for the update.  Could you provide dimensions for the new larger case? I ask because I'm laying out my next furniture project and want to make room for new units - the same case will be used for the statement rigs, too, right? Which I anticipate by about June 2012 (my guess).

Anywho, clarification, please, on fuses. Will changing the fuse in the Bifrost (or amps) void the warranty?

Oh, and will the the statement amp use tubes? And will they be recessed as on the Lyr, or stand tall as on so much other gear?

Thanks again, and best wishes to you and all at Schiit.

Dec 4, 2011 at 7:25 PM Post #1,807 of 3,339

Quote:
Hey all,

A couple of quick answers:

1. Balanced amp and DAC--we're trying for a simultaneous release, but we'll probably be announcing in January, no earlier. If one comes first, it's the DAC. The DAC will be worth waiting for, especially if you're looking for a balanced-output piece. We're going to have at least one big surprise in store for you. Remember, all products from now on are "one and only" products--we won't release them unless they are unique in one or more meaningful ways. And yes, we know the definition of "unique."

[...]

All the best,
Jason

Thanks for the info Jason. Fortunately the Audiolab M-DAC is still not available in Australia. That thing seems incredibly versatile and could serve as the hub for my new rig. I don't recall reading anything to indicate the Schiit dac will be as feature rich, so for me it'll come down to whoever reaches this market first to prompt an impulse buy. Race is on.

Dec 4, 2011 at 7:29 PM Post #1,808 of 3,339

Quote:
I upgaded my Bifrost internal fuse to an AMR Gold Fuse. A fellow enthusiast told me he was shocked at the improvement an audiophile fuse did for his EE Minimax DAC. I was interested enough and purchased some from AMR, a British manufacturer of high end audio components who also make their own fuses. You get 3 in a pack of your chosen values, works out much cheaper than Furutech ones.

So what was the verdict? Hell yes an improvement in every aspect. But I also upgraded the fuse in my Cambridge Audio player, which could be a contributor to the overall improvement. I am now convinced that fuses must be a limiting factor in the power supply of equipment. It makes me wonder how much better it will get by jumping the fuse directly with hookup wire. (No need to tell me how dangerous this is, but when was the last time you had to change blown fuses in your DAC or Optical disc player? I am not suggesting do this with an amp....)

So while I had the case off I took some detailed internal pics as posted above. Modders go to town!! Interesting to note the AKM Dac chip is actually contained on the analog output board. The motherboard is purely that.......an interface motherboard.

Agisthos,

if the dac shows no fault condition and is operating properly, then it is safe to bypass the  fuses.

Dec 5, 2011 at 12:09 AM Post #1,809 of 3,339
okay the bug has bitten I am doing it now.... i will report back if the sound is even better hardwired than with a audiophile fuse....

I think the Bifrost is a perfect modders project. Base price is so cheap, and yet you can spend $50 on fuses, new caps and other mods and potentially see a big step in performance for such small outlay.

Dec 5, 2011 at 3:23 AM Post #1,810 of 3,339

Quote:
okay the bug has bitten I am doing it now.... i will report back if the sound is even better hardwired than with a audiophile fuse....

I think the Bifrost is a perfect modders project. Base price is so cheap, and yet you can spend $50 on fuses, new caps and other mods and potentially see a big step in performance for such small outlay.

lol - Jason I think you guys may have created a monster - look out MHDT Havana thread! :)

Dec 5, 2011 at 10:54 AM Post #1,811 of 3,339
Hey all,

To clarify a couple of things:

1. Thanks to the legal system in the US, we can't encourage anyone to open up their Bifrost (or Lyr, or whatever.) In fact, we have to say, for the record, "no user serviceable parts inside." Yes, there are people out there who would try to change a fuse with the product plugged in. And yes, people like that are *also* stupid enough to try to blame us for their mistake.

2. That said, unless there are obvious parts swapped that were not meant to be swapped (as in, soldered into the board), we'd consider the warranty to be in place. Now, send us back a Bifrost that has a bunch of rework on it (even if it has the right parts), and you shouldn't expect the warranty to be honored. Also know that we will not provide technical support for any modified product.

3. This past year being challenging, fun or both? Definitely both. We didn't expect to grow as fast as we did, and the biggest challenge has simply been in scaling up. Remember, we're still only 17 months old. And I'm sure everyone would want us to work out the ongoing backorder situation before we announce new products. That's why we've moved out a bunch of product intros, to make sure everything is in place so that 2012 is more predictable on the supply side. 

And if you think 2011 was good, wait till you see 2012!

All the best,
Jason

Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
Dec 5, 2011 at 2:38 PM Post #1,812 of 3,339

Quote:
We didn't expect to grow as fast as we did, and the biggest challenge has simply been in scaling up.  And if you think 2011 was good, wait till you see 2012!

All the best,
Jason

Hope you've shipped a Schiit-load of Bifrosts!  Really enjoying mine, and very curious how the statement DAC's sound will compare.

Without revealing anything confidential, was there high demand for the Bifrost in particular, or was it demand for all your products that surprised you?

Dec 5, 2011 at 2:59 PM Post #1,813 of 3,339
I know I've had a blast with all the Schiit products I have owned!  The Asgard was great and the Lyr is a rockin' ortho amp.  Now I can't wait for my Bifrost to ship!

Cheers!
beerchug.gif

-HK sends

Dec 5, 2011 at 4:51 PM Post #1,814 of 3,339
I'm already saving for a DAC/Amp couple I have just heard about and that God knows when it'll be released, basing on the words of its producer... Hurry up before I realize how insane I am...

Dec 5, 2011 at 4:57 PM Post #1,815 of 3,339
Schiit either has some fantastic brand design and marketing or you guys are just great people.  Whilst it is probably both, and more, I can say that I am really excited for the course of Schiit over the next 12 months and beyond.  Schiit should be truly proud of itself and its achievements.  You have made many people that much happier....and that much poorer...albeit in a value for money kind of way.

beerchug.gif

Quote:
Hey all,

3. This past year being challenging, fun or both? Definitely both. We didn't expect to grow as fast as we did, and the biggest challenge has simply been in scaling up. Remember, we're still only 17 months old. And I'm sure everyone would want us to work out the ongoing backorder situation before we announce new products. That's why we've moved out a bunch of product intros, to make sure everything is in place so that 2012 is more predictable on the supply side. 

And if you think 2011 was good, wait till you see 2012!

All the best,
Jason

Users who are viewing this thread

Back