Schiit Bifrost vs Audio-gd NFB-2 (2014)
May 21, 2014 at 1:03 AM Post #16 of 27
I mainly been using Foobar2k and Reason 5 and asio doesn't work in either with the same old error about there being no asio drivers when in fact there is and it let you select it but pop up that error. I usually use Asio4All in it place even tho i shouldn't have to but even asio4all is glitchly.

May 21, 2014 at 1:50 AM Post #18 of 27
You have to give it some time. It will fail eventually. That is my point.
Like I said I was able to install the USB driver. It just took some time to figure out how to install it properly on Windows 8.1 for the new NFB-2 (2014) as it has a newer driver from VIA.
If you playback using ASIO (doesn't matter if it is VIA, Asio4all, Musiland) it will fail at some point. You're going to do some voodoo dancing with your PC and your DAC by restarting both and etc. to make it work again. I'm using direct sound output from Foobar to the DAC. This seems to be stable.

May 21, 2014 at 1:55 AM Post #19 of 27
  I mainly been using Foobar2k and Reason 5 and asio doesn't work in either with the same old error about there being no asio drivers when in fact there is and it let you select it but pop up that error. I usually use Asio4All in it place even tho i shouldn't have to but even asio4all is glitchly.

Same problem here :wink: I really don't care about ASIO when I listen to music but when I use my Ableton Live with Push it is something that I need... Very unstable.

May 21, 2014 at 9:09 AM Post #20 of 27
  The Muiti driver dates is listed because of the different firmware updates that work with different drivers. People tend to use a older Firmware or certain firmware since the firmware updates can change the sound signature of the usb input. The driver is linked so those can get access to those older drivers to use them with the different firmware that they are using with their units. 

Say like if I wanted to flash down to a older firmware release, I would have to uninstall the driver then after flashing, install the driver's that support that firmware that I flashed to.   That's the whole reason why they are all listed by dates. As different firmware releases work with drivers up to a point,If they release a new firmware or new driver either order, the new driver will either fixed something or add something that was added by the firmware release.

Audio-GD works closely with VIA who writes the drivers for the USB chip inside of the unit's, Audio-GD doesn't write the drivers they just report the issues to VIA, The only issues I have with the drivers is that ASIO wrapper doesn't work, That's the only issue I have. Which VIA haven't fixed. Which I wished they used or at-least give a option for Xmos or cmedia for usb transfer chips.

Plus you have to remember that kingwa English is not perfect and even he can misunderstand stand what was emailed to him and there is a time difference and it some time take time for him to respond. Depending on where you are in the world.

I did not buy a product from VIA, it came from AudioGd, it even has there name stamped right on the front, If there is a software issue I expect Audio Gd to fix it I don't care who they hire to do there work that's there business.  Fact is this is the only audio company I have come across to approach software in this manner. (IE...6 versions for the same product) You cannot honestly believe that it is not antiquated in this approach.   You could build the finest sounding Dac on the planet but if your software sucks whats the point.  FYI  I tried every single version of the software and absolutely none of them were seamless and all of them caused PC glitches.  In short it is not worth the trouble

If you were basing your product software on dates and firmware versions the date and version info could easily be added right on the serial number sticker saving the customer HOURS / DAYS of frustration

I am not bashing Audio GD fact is I think the Dac sounds awesome when pared with a tube amp (it's to harsh, grainy, and fatiguing Via the onboard amp) but knowing what I know now I would not have bought the product...........I am likely keeping it though as I already paid for it, the converter doesn't seem to be a problem

May 21, 2014 at 11:18 AM Post #22 of 27
  I hear ya joe.  Gets frustrating at times.  There was a thread started in 2012 about the usb32, sort of a troubleshooting thread.  Don't know if you've seen it.

Cheers!

http://www.head-fi.org/t/638252/audio-gd-usb-32-firmware-drivers-and-feedback-thread

Yes I went through that thread and your impressions thread as well as emailing Kingwa all with no help. My patience threshold being what it is I know if I went further only bad things will happen and the converter is an easy fix

I don't hear any signal loss using the converter even though its a cheap one.  after a good comparison time and some back and forth I will decide which DAC to keep.  and if its the GD I will look into a better converter that offers higher bit rates (one i have now only does 24, but that's plenty for comparison experiment)

Currently the added detail and tighter bass is appealing to me a great deal,  My next question will be is there a better sounding dac using the 9018, (by better i mean a significantly better sound) Personally I doubt that.

I will not get into the 1000 and up Dac,s as I don't see the point IMHO the sole purpose of a Dac is to convey the source input............all the rest = signature sound added by the builder or convenience features.  My sole purpose for a Dac is to convert audio files off my hard drive and to my amp for listening.

May 21, 2014 at 12:58 PM Post #23 of 27
At-least I finally got ASio working but just for foobar 2k tho for the time being before it decides to quit on me. If I didn't need it for reason 5, it wouldn't bother me as much.

May 21, 2014 at 1:21 PM Post #24 of 27
  At-least I finally got ASio working but just for foobar 2k tho for the time being before it decides to quit on me. If I didn't need it for reason 5, it wouldn't bother me as much.

this will solve your issues

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00A2QKZ16/ref=oh_details_o01_s01_i03?ie=UTF8&psc=1

works fine

May 21, 2014 at 2:05 PM Post #25 of 27
  this will solve your issues

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00A2QKZ16/ref=oh_details_o01_s01_i03?ie=UTF8&psc=1

works fine

Yea I thought about using one of those many times, I do have a DGX laying around that I can just use instead.

May 21, 2014 at 2:16 PM Post #26 of 27

Yea I thought about one of those but I gonna be moving to a bifrost any way as soon I get enough cash.

I actually have the bifrost uber with usb setting here and although it is very nice, and the software is leagues ahead of the audio gd

the gd saber 9018 does offer more detail, although IMHO it must be paired with a great tube amp. I find the 9018 a bit strident / fatiguing.............with SS

The Bifrost is definitely warmer in signature, with some bloat in the bass, hands down easier to use and again IMHO worth the asking $$$$, I have not decided to go all GD or keep both as I want to do some A-B testing / listening

Jun 27, 2014 at 9:58 AM Post #27 of 27
I have been using my WM8741 based audio-gd fun with Windows XP for last 3 years and 1 year ago it was upgraded to USB-32. Their instruction in English is not quite easy to understand, but I found it quite easy to install and no problem with USB driver till now. But can't comment on Windows 7 or 8. Inspired by the performance recently I have also purchased Audio-gd NFB-3(2014) which is sabre based. Yes, the sound is little forward but it is more transparent and details are far great compared to wolfson based dac. Few months ago I also had Schiit Gungnir. It was not bad, but I found the sound signature of Audio-gd more acceptable to my ear on the long run. So I sold the Gungnir.

But I found some issues with 24/192 files into the coax with some source. 24/96 files are playing just ok, without any issues. When I am using Marantz NA7004 as source to the coax for playing 24/192 files there is high pitch type of noise, but when I am using a 2nd media player as a source to play the same files then it is playing good, there is no noise.

I emailed about the problem to Mr. Kingwa. He indicated it as a problem of the source. Recently I found on their website Audio-gd has added a note on FAQ page (8, The ES9018 built in products SPDIF performance.) that there is some incompatibility issues over spdif.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back