Schiit Bifrost Uber Analog Upgrade
Sep 9, 2013 at 1:57 PM Post #421 of 1,448

Thank you for helping me discover this alternative ADuM board.

Go to eBay and copy/paste search this in bold: Teralink ADuM4160 USB Isolator board.

Or use this link (same seller):

http://www.ab-system.hk/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=63

That board is made for audio.  It uses a linear regulator to supply power to the downstream side of the ADuM chip and downstream peripherals (that you won't use with the Schiit gen 2 USB board).  It's also cheaper than the others I've seen.  If you aren't going to use an Ultravox, this is probably the next best one (IMO).  The jumpers should be set for full speed.

Go to Jameco.com and search for 170245.  That's a 12v 1 amp linear regulated wall wart.  I'm not sure about the plug configuration but the rest of it is proper.  I have one of those and a similar 5v version on order that won't ship until the 5v is available again in late October.  There is no option for the supply connectors and they may need modifying.  You might consider putting a ferrite bead close to the connector if there isn't one on it from the manufacturer (RFI filtering for sensitive equipment).

Don't forget to get one of the little USB gender adapters I mentioned in my last post (the one you quoted).  Use a good quality USB cable, especially not a cheap utility grade cable.  Preferably one specifically for audio USB.  Go to Amazon and search Pangea USB PCOCC.  Those look like a great value.

I have to again say that I take no responsibility for you trying anything I've mentioned.  Computer audio systems usually have unique component synergies and some will undoubtedly behave differently.  Please tell us how it works for you.

Very good, thank you. I will report my findings. FYI, I am using a quality Audioquest USB cable. One more question... is there any reason for me to believe that such a set-up would not work in Mac OS X on a Macbook Pro?

Sep 9, 2013 at 2:43 PM Post #422 of 1,448

Very good, thank you. I will report my findings. FYI, I am using a quality Audioquest USB cable. One more question... is there any reason for me to believe that such a set-up would not work in Mac OS X on a Macbook Pro?

I have a friend using alternative ADuM and CM6631A boards connected to a Mac laptop.  Mac doesn't require installed drivers.  It works as long as OSX is past a certain version.  If you're up to date you're good to go.

Sep 17, 2013 at 5:15 PM Post #424 of 1,448
i'm about to attempt the uber swap myself !

Sep 17, 2013 at 11:27 PM Post #425 of 1,448
Boards swapped, pretty easy, only had one glitch, one set of pins missed the mark, but got it straightened right out

Sep 19, 2013 at 10:37 AM Post #427 of 1,448
Sep 22, 2013 at 5:46 PM Post #428 of 1,448
Is Uber-upgrade beneficial for HE-400? If it extends highs, I am afraid it may not be so good for already high highs in HE-400...

Sep 22, 2013 at 5:53 PM Post #429 of 1,448
  Is Uber-upgrade beneficial for HE-400? If it extends highs, I am afraid it may not be so good for already high highs in HE-400...

i can't comment specifically to the he-400, but the biggest thing improvement i noticed, was a more quiet background, the music is more fleshed out, this is what i noticed with my grado ps500, and alessandro ms2 , that my take

Sep 22, 2013 at 10:01 PM Post #430 of 1,448
  i can't comment specifically to the he-400, but the biggest thing improvement i noticed, was a more quiet background, the music is more fleshed out, this is what i noticed with my grado ps500, and alessandro ms2 , that my take

Thanks for your comment!

Anybody has experience of Uberupgrade specifically with HE-400?

Sep 23, 2013 at 1:45 AM Post #431 of 1,448

The Uber Frost I was able to borrow for a while had the smoothest highs of any affordable digital product I've ever heard. I would say there should be no issues there.

Sep 23, 2013 at 8:43 AM Post #432 of 1,448

I have the HE-500 and I can say that the Uberfrost upgrade is beneficial to the HE-500. It doesn't make the trebles harsh or sibilant, its more like it becomes more transparent, and even less noise. I had the Bifrost prior to upgrading to the Uberfrost, so I've heard both.

Sep 23, 2013 at 10:17 AM Post #433 of 1,448

The Uber Frost I was able to borrow for a while had the smoothest highs of any affordable digital product I've ever heard. I would say there should be no issues there.

I have the HE-500 and I can say that the Uberfrost upgrade is beneficial to the HE-500. It doesn't make the trebles harsh or sibilant, its more like it becomes more transparent, and even less noise. I had the Bifrost prior to upgrading to the Uberfrost, so I've heard both.

Thanks for sharing your opinions!

Sep 23, 2013 at 10:38 AM Post #434 of 1,448

Thanks for sharing your opinions!

you're welcome! for a pair of detailed headphones like the HE-400/500, i feel like the uber upgrade is worth it. the upgrade isn't AS noticeable on my HD650, but still an improvement. but I could hear the biggest change on a can that could reveal that amount of detail. 

Sep 25, 2013 at 2:48 PM Post #435 of 1,448
Hi, for those of you that sent this in for the upgrade internationally (Canadian), how long did it take? I might be getting irrationally worried but I sent mine 2+ weeks ago and it said it arrived 9 days ago but I haven't heard anything. I emailed them 2 days ago and haven't gotten a response. I got an RA number and everything and my status says "Upgrade Queue" :frowning2:

Appreciated.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back