Schiit Bifrost Uber Analog Upgrade
May 27, 2016 at 8:04 AM Post #1,426 of 1,448
It somehow doesn't wanna install the latest driver. I kept saying C-media Device not detected (tried switching USB ports (2.0 and 3.0). I ended up installing the older driver without any hassle.
I am wondering if the latest driver will turn up in Windows Update. <I have auto-update off because of the Microsoft Nagging KB's being pushed to upgrade to W10.
That version might work? Guess I could do a manual scan of updates and see what it says. Any different though between the versions in terms of features etc ?D

May 28, 2016 at 1:24 AM Post #1,427 of 1,448
  It somehow doesn't wanna install the latest driver. I kept saying C-media Device not detected (tried switching USB ports (2.0 and 3.0). I ended up installing the older driver without any hassle.
I am wondering if the latest driver will turn up in Windows Update. <I have auto-update off because of the Microsoft Nagging KB's being pushed to upgrade to W10.
That version might work? Guess I could do a manual scan of updates and see what it says. Any different though between the versions in terms of features etc ?D

I can report that the stock driver in W10 works perfectly with zero issues on my PC.

I'm extremely happy with both my Bimby upgrade and my W10 upgrade. To each their own, but unless you have some system dependency preventing you from doing so, I really see no reason not to upgrade to W10. All of the negative media hype, etc, is way overblown IMO.

Regarding the older/newer driver versions, I don't really think there is any difference in terms of features. I believe the updates are mainly for compatibility and stability reasons. The stock drivers on W10 are completely plug n' play for me and have been very stable.

May 28, 2016 at 2:43 AM Post #1,428 of 1,448

I can report that the stock driver in W10 works perfectly with zero issues on my PC.

I'm extremely happy with both my Bimby upgrade and my W10 upgrade. To each their own, but unless you have some system dependency preventing you from doing so, I really see no reason not to upgrade to W10. All of the negative media hype, etc, is way overblown IMO.

Regarding the older/newer driver versions, I don't really think there is any difference in terms of features. I believe the updates are mainly for compatibility and stability reasons. The stock drivers on W10 are completely plug n' play for me and have been very stable.

Thank you. I am rolling with the standard Microsoft Cmedia drivers as well and so far so good.  

May 30, 2016 at 5:05 AM Post #1,429 of 1,448
  Thank you. I am rolling with the standard Microsoft Cmedia drivers as well and so far so good.  

Does anyone know if the driver provided on a automatic Windows Update install also includes ASIO?
it seems the Schiit Gen2 V1.03 driver does have ASIO embedded. Well I see a couple of Asio files in the installer.
Could someone confirm that the standard driver (plug and play one) also has ASIO?
If not? I have to remove that KB-update? And install V1.03 instead?

May 30, 2016 at 1:03 PM Post #1,430 of 1,448
  Does anyone know if the driver provided on a automatic Windows Update install also includes ASIO?
it seems the Schiit Gen2 V1.03 driver does have ASIO embedded. Well I see a couple of Asio files in the installer.
Could someone confirm that the standard driver (plug and play one) also has ASIO?
If not? I have to remove that KB-update? And install V1.03 instead?

I'm not really sure, but I was under the impression that the Windows-provided drivers are actually just "vetted" versions of the same drivers from Schiit / C-Media, so I would think ASIO would be included as long as it's not "crashy".

That said, one reason it might NOT be supported is that Microsoft has their own version of ASIO called WASAPI.

http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/WASAPI

I use Foobar2000 with the WASAPI plugin on Windows 10 with the default USB drivers and it seems to work very, very well.  I can't say that I can really hear a dramatic difference compared to the default (DirectSound?) method, but the main two benefits for me are that using WASAPI mutes all the annoying system notification sounds so I don't hear them through my headphones, and it also means that my settings only apply to Foobar2000 so that when my non-audiophile wife uses the computer for iTunes or YouTube or whatever she wants to do, all the system sound settings are set to default for the el cheapo Logitech desktop speakers she uses.

Before I learned of WASAPI, I used to have to go into the system audio control panel to change the default device to the Bifrost when I wanted to use it, then remember to set it back to the desktop speakers when I was done listening.

Jun 28, 2016 at 12:43 AM Post #1,435 of 1,448
  i don't understand why i cant get 24/176?

Once upon a time around the time dinosaurs roamed the earth when we introduced the Bifrost, the USB board did not support 176.4K sampling rates.  That problem can be solved by upgrading the USB board.  Sounds like it was already upgraded to an uber analog board.

Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/

Users who are viewing this thread

Back