Schiit Bifrost Uber Analog Upgrade
Oct 8, 2015 at 7:34 PM Post #1,411 of 1,448
  I see on the BIMBi thread you have received your schiit.  Seems you Like it. It has the Bifrost Uber look and feel but its like its been aged and refined.

Yep, that's how it feels.

Oct 9, 2015 at 3:59 AM Post #1,412 of 1,448
Originally ordered an "Uber" upgrade, right at the end of August, but actually got the 4490 board instead, somewhat early (about three weeks ago, in fact).

I posted my thoughts on the differences (original to 4490; I've not heard the actual "Uber" board) here, if that's interesting.

Nov 18, 2015 at 6:45 AM Post #1,413 of 1,448
I Bought recently second hand Bifrost Uber / USB  so my question is: Is there any way to check witch version of analog upgrade there is inside? Ofcourse opening the device but i mean witch different versions of analog board there are in markets and how to reconize them from another?  I'm very pleased of the sound and build quality of bifrost so far so i don't think its really matter is there latest board inside or not but I'm curious.

And the second question: If I want to get MB upgrade I must send bifrost to states to Schiit and there is no way to install the upgrade by diy? right?

Nov 18, 2015 at 9:01 AM Post #1,414 of 1,448
  I Bought recently second hand Bifrost Uber / USB  so my question is: Is there any way to check witch version of analog upgrade there is inside? Ofcourse opening the device but i mean witch different versions of analog board there are in markets and how to reconize them from another?  I'm very pleased of the sound and build quality of bifrost so far so i don't think its really matter is there latest board inside or not but I'm curious.

And the second question: If I want to get MB upgrade I must send bifrost to states to Schiit and there is no way to install the upgrade by diy? right?

If you have an Uber.. that's the Analog board you have there. For the MB upgrade you need to send it to Schiit.

Dec 1, 2015 at 12:36 PM Post #1,415 of 1,448
I Just went to Electromod UK http://www.electromod.co.uk/ to get my Bifrost Uber upgraded. it was done while I sat there and played the with Rag and Yggy with the Alpha Dogs. For me the MB sounded better than the Uber and was well worth it. If you are going XLR then the Yggy is amazing. However for the money Bifrost MB cannot be beat. Lovin it 

Dec 2, 2015 at 8:17 AM Post #1,416 of 1,448
  I Just went to Electromod UK http://www.electromod.co.uk/ to get my Bifrost Uber upgraded. it was done while I sat there and played the with Rag and Yggy with the Alpha Dogs...

That's Awesome. For the Brief period of time you were without your Bifrost you got to try some other gear. So Are you Planing to Buy some Alpha Dogs Now?

Dec 30, 2015 at 6:38 PM Post #1,418 of 1,448
Not sure if the right thread, but here goes... Cheap blu Ray with bifrost, or dedicated CD player. Intuitively, Im thinking that a dedicated dac is better than a CD player out, even if the blu ray is cheap.

Any thoughts, much appreciated. ( it's only my 2nd thread I've posted to).
Much thanks.

[I apologize for the repeated post]

Dec 31, 2015 at 1:14 AM Post #1,419 of 1,448
Not sure if the right thread, but here goes... Cheap blu Ray with bifrost, or dedicated CD player. Intuitively, Im thinking that a dedicated dac is better than a CD player out, even if the blu ray is cheap.

Any thoughts, much appreciated. ( it's only my 2nd thread I've posted to).
Much thanks.

all about the transport's implementation, i use MAC mini, widows 10, cocktail audio x10 and CD all give a great result. however the better the transport the better the SQ. so start up with what you have and build up. a friend of mine bought a 20 year old CD player and that sounded really good with my bifrost dac

Dec 31, 2015 at 5:57 AM Post #1,420 of 1,448
Can someone catch me up to speed with a couple of lines? I've had the Bifrost Uber for a couple of year. From what I'm reading, that option is no longer available, but it doesn't matter because the standard Bifrost is considered better now. Is that right? Anyone know why?

Dec 31, 2015 at 9:45 AM Post #1,421 of 1,448
  Can someone catch me up to speed with a couple of lines? I've had the Bifrost Uber for a couple of year. From what I'm reading, that option is no longer available, but it doesn't matter because the standard Bifrost is considered better now. Is that right? Anyone know why?

from what i understand we have 2 versions now the best version is the MB and standard version is using a different chip set to the original Bifrost so it considered better than the Uber for that reason so someone buying a new Bifrost now gets the updated DAC chip set as standard if i am wrong someone correct me please
STD 
D/A Conversion IC: AKM Verita® AK4490 
Analog Stage: Fully discrete, DC coupled

and

Bifrost Multibit
D/A Conversion IC: Analog Devices AD5547CRUZ
Digital Filter: proprietary Schiit bitperfect closed-form digital filter implemented on Analog Devices SHARC DSP processor
Analog Stage: precision I/V converter and output buffer based on AD8512

Dec 31, 2015 at 9:51 AM Post #1,422 of 1,448

Standard Bifrost now has new Delta-Sigma DAC chip + Uber analog part (and USB). Bifrost Multibit is a R2R DAC chip + Megaburrito filter and precision op-amp for I/V conversion.

Mar 23, 2016 at 5:55 PM Post #1,423 of 1,448
Hello!

Looking into purchasing the Bifrost 4490 for myself.

I'm currently using the Valhalla 2 and Modi 2 (non-uber), paired with Sennheiser HD800.

I'm having a hard time finding if the upgrade is worth it. Some say that the Bifrost will have small differences,  while some say it's a larger upgrade than going from the Vali to the Valhalla 2. 

Not sure what to do.

Please help!

Mar 23, 2016 at 6:10 PM Post #1,424 of 1,448
  Hello!

I'm currently using the Valhalla 2 and Modi 2 (non-uber), paired with Sennheiser HD800.

I'm having a hard time finding if the upgrade is worth it. Some say that the Bifrost will have small differences,  while some say it's a larger upgrade than going from the Vali to the Valhalla 2. 

Not sure what to do.

Please help!

You could also think of the Bifrost 4490 upgrade as an upgrade for life.

That is, once you have transitioned from the Modi to the Bifrost, it will be the last upgrade you ever need to make. All future upgrades will be available to you, at low cost, as Schiit engineers find new improvements worthy of distribution to their customers. The 4490 you mention is already the 3rd generation of upgrades (non-Uber, followed by Uber were the first two). So even if it (the 4490) is not an upgrade of significance (to your ears), future upgrades may be...

I've heard all 4 analog sections of the Bifrost, and the two versions of the USB. I think each update was quite worthwhile. But I have not heard the Modi (well, not in detail) long enough to offer a comparison.

Mar 23, 2016 at 6:36 PM Post #1,425 of 1,448
  Hello!

Not sure what to do.

Please help!

I can't say whether you'll hear a difference (or prefer what you hear if you do), but I can definitely vouch that I recently got a Bifrost 4490 and like it very much. I think it was a huge upgrade over the Fiio E7K Alpen I was using previously, which is about in the same price class as the Modi, though I'm not sure how the two of those compare in terms of sound quality.  I feel like it's pretty likely that the analog section of the 4490 is an upgrade over the Modi or Fiio, though.

Plus, as @sheldaze pointed out, part of what you're paying for with the Bifrost is the added insurance that you can always upgrade its components later if you decide to.

I am pleased enough with my 4490 that I'm not yet convinced the Multibit upgrade is worth it for my system, but it's nice to know that the option is there if I change my mind, or if there is an even better upgrade available in another 6 months or a year.

So...if you're looking for an enabler, I certainly won't talk you *out* of getting a Bifrost.  :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back