Schiit Bifrost Uber Analog Upgrade
Jun 16, 2014 at 9:03 AM Post #961 of 1,448
  Regarding the bass output of the Bifrost (I recently got the Uber), I can say that it can be subject to the cable used with it.  Of course, this would hold true with all component, and I don't want to open a can of worms here, but.... I bought two different digital coax cables to try with my Bifrost and Sonos Connect player.  The sound is noticeably different with each.  One has both clearer highs and more bass output.

I am no advocate of megabuck cables, and know that some people will never be convinced that cables make a difference, but my ears tell me they do.  (Also had my adult son take a listen as I swapped cables; he came to the same conclusion, unprompted.)  Winner - DH Labs Silversonic D-750, $90.

I won't call the other cable a "loser" because system synergy may give someone else different results.  System matching with components and cables making a complete circuit is IMHO an often overlooked and under-appreciated aspect of creating a great sounding system.

A digital cable that is not up to par will result in problems. Other than that perhaps the improvements in Bass and Treble might be Expectation Bias. One might ask, what is the property of such a cable that might improve SQ? Upon further examination the digital problems of synch and jitter results in audible defects. There should be no improvement to be had over a stream of digital data, either it's good or bad. Comparing audio is no easy task.
I'll meet you over at Jersey Freeze for Ice Cream.
regular_smile .gif

Jun 16, 2014 at 9:47 AM Post #962 of 1,448
  Regarding the bass output of the Bifrost (I recently got the Uber), I can say that it can be subject to the cable used with it.  Of course, this would hold true with all component, and I don't want to open a can of worms here, but.... I bought two different digital coax cables to try with my Bifrost and Sonos Connect player.  The sound is noticeably different with each.  One has both clearer highs and more bass output.

I am no advocate of megabuck cables, and know that some people will never be convinced that cables make a difference, but my ears tell me they do.  (Also had my adult son take a listen as I swapped cables; he came to the same conclusion, unprompted.)  Winner - DH Labs Silversonic D-750, $90.

I won't call the other cable a "loser" because system synergy may give someone else different results.  System matching with components and cables making a complete circuit is IMHO an often overlooked and under-appreciated aspect of creating a great sounding system.

Data is data.  The cable either passes it intact or it doesn't.

Jun 16, 2014 at 9:57 AM Post #963 of 1,448
No expectation bias here - similarly priced cables from two companies I have no allegiance to.  Data is data, yes.  How well does the cable transmit the data from the source to the DAC...  It's not an all-or-nothing proposition.  Listen for yourself.

Jun 16, 2014 at 10:04 AM Post #965 of 1,448

Except that cable is transporting digital data in 0's and 1's and not analog signal, it's pre-processed raw data and impossible to make a difference. However if it didn't cost too much and it makes a difference to your ears, it's money well spent in my book! I tend to get at least semi-decent looking cables for aesthetic reasons when I could buy them for 2 bucks off Monoprice instead.

Jun 16, 2014 at 10:10 AM Post #966 of 1,448
  Definitely expectation bias. Switch the cables without him knowing, he'd never know.

Are you saying you have never A-B tested cables and heard a difference?  With your system, you would.   I'll give you this - If you snuck in and switched the cables one day, I might not notice.  The differences are not enormous.  But if you switch back and forth a few times in one listening session with the same source and song, you will hear a difference.

Jun 16, 2014 at 10:48 AM Post #967 of 1,448
  Except that cable is transporting digital data in 0's and 1's and not analog signal

That\s not completely true, the cable is really still sending an analog signal, the "1's and 0's" are a difference in voltage that is being sent.

Jun 16, 2014 at 11:02 AM Post #968 of 1,448
Didn't intend to change the thread topic.  Loving the Bifrost Uber so far.  A big step up from my DevilSound and the Musical Fidelity A1's built-in DAC.

Jun 16, 2014 at 12:33 PM Post #969 of 1,448

That\s not completely true, the cable is really still sending an analog signal, the "1's and 0's" are a difference in voltage that is being sent.

Any screwups in the 1s and 0s will result in errors not enhanced bass, treble or soundstage, etc.

Jun 17, 2014 at 8:43 AM Post #972 of 1,448
OK, I was going to let it drop, but I will only add that in theory everything you say is true, Stan, Fender and Tuco.  I think Jason at Schiit probably agrees with you as well.  

However, in practice, I have experienced otherwise.  Just for fun, why not buy a couple cables (with full return policies) and ask a friend to help you do a blind audition.  Swap your $2 cable for a couple different flavors of cable costing what you would be willing to spend IF it actually made your sound better.  You each have invested a fair amount in your systems as is.  Listen to something you are very familiar with.  

Maybe bitrate matters?  The biggest differences I heard were with lower resolution (streaming 320kbps) which I spend a lot of time listening to - trying to polish a turd, I've been told.

Jun 17, 2014 at 10:02 AM Post #973 of 1,448
I've done all that, and have been shown that I've experienced expectation bias which really opened my eyes.

Jun 17, 2014 at 10:03 AM Post #974 of 1,448
  However, in practice, I have experienced otherwise.  Just for fun, why not buy a couple cables (with full return policies) and ask a friend to help you do a blind audition.  Swap your $2 cable for a couple different flavors of cable costing what you would be willing to spend IF it actually made your sound better.  You each have invested a fair amount in your systems as is.  Listen to something you are very familiar with.  

This was done many times before in many well-controlled DBT experiments. Should I tell the results?

Jun 17, 2014 at 10:52 AM Post #975 of 1,448

This was done many times before in many well-controlled DBT experiments. Should I tell the results?

Only if it was your own ears 
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back