Schiit Bifrost Uber Analog Upgrade
Oct 31, 2013 at 12:03 AM Post #482 of 1,448
Hey, i'm no head-fi genius either but what I did learn this year:

Audirvana+ is software for playing music on the Mac.
It is not an EQ program.

A+ does not do any up-sampling by default, although it can if you wish.
A+ over rides the poor aspects of OS X Core Audio which can be subject to rounding errors and other gunk
A+ loads an entire song into memory, can disable other computer "background" operations such as backups, etc to maximize cpu cycles spent on the audio.
A+ uses more advanced sample rate converters.
I don't use it's AU filters or other advanced tweak out settings, which might take the stream more away from "bit perfect".

all these details are easily found on their web site. or go read some computer audiophile threads on this software gem.
I have found no coloration or major tonal changes on treble, bass or mids.
simply clearer, more sound stage, more instrument separation.

some people have said A+ can make a good DAC sound great, a great DAC sound killer.
while some can not hear a difference between Audirvana, Amarra, Bitperfect and plain iTunes.
to each his own.

Oct 31, 2013 at 7:29 AM Post #483 of 1,448
Analog Uber upgrade made my LCD-2s sound even better - a bit more treble and a little more air, however made my HE-400 sounding less pleasant and more difficult to listen - due to accentuated highs:frowning2:

Nov 3, 2013 at 6:11 AM Post #485 of 1,448
Hi Guys!

I'm taking the plunge and getting myself a Schiit Bifrost with the Uber Analog Upgrade. However I will be using it through USB and the one I'm buying has the 1st gen USB. Is that a dealbreaker? What are the differences between gen1 and gen2? Does gen1 have USB 2.0? The owner tested it out for me and he connected it via USB 1.1. Obviously I don't want that
wink.gif

Thanks in advance!

EDIT: Had contact with Schiit so I know all the information I need now!
biggrin.gif

Nov 4, 2013 at 8:20 PM Post #486 of 1,448
I finally replaced the old board with Uber with great difficulty for matching LEDs to their holes.
But the sound becomes fuller than before, and SQ seems match to my new Oppo BDP-105, which gave my smoothness and spaciousness.

I listened to Mahler sym 8, Britten cello concerto, and Wagner Siegfrieds funeral march.
it was satisfactory compared with BDP-105 with slightly different sound signiture.

My machine chain was SCHIIT BIFROST- Lyr with telefunken-HE5LE from Flac recording through windows machine.

Nov 4, 2013 at 10:24 PM Post #487 of 1,448
Gen 2 USB is worthy of buying?
It is hard to read through this long thread to find this simple answer.

I am encouraged for upgrading due to my successful upgrade of Uber, which gave me additional option to configure my rig.

Nov 5, 2013 at 3:14 PM Post #489 of 1,448

I’m looking for a DAC for my Asgard 2.

Does the Bifrost Uber have any audible advantage over the Bifrost?   What are the differences?

Nov 5, 2013 at 5:53 PM Post #492 of 1,448
I have a question regarding the compatibility of Bifrost with 24/176. I am trying to play Explorations of Space and Time from foobar2000, which is encoded at this quality, through USB. For some reason, it keeps saying: "Unrecoverable playback error: Unsupported stream format: 176400 Hz / 24-bit / 2 channels". 

Does this mean Bifrost cant handle 24/176? This is completely contradictory to having just read that it has no problem with this particular sample rate.

Thank you

EDIT: Sorry, I just realized I posted in this thread. I have done no upgrades to my Bifrost. Sorry to post off topic.

Nov 5, 2013 at 7:05 PM Post #493 of 1,448
I have a question regarding the compatibility of Bifrost with 24/176. I am trying to play Explorations of Space and Time from foobar2000, which is encoded at this quality, through USB. For some reason, it keeps saying: "Unrecoverable playback error: Unsupported stream format: 176400 Hz / 24-bit / 2 channels". 

Does this mean Bifrost cant handle 24/176? This is completely contradictory to having just read that it has no problem with this particular sample rate.

Thank you

EDIT: Sorry, I just realized I posted in this thread. I have done no upgrades to my Bifrost. Sorry to post off topic.

The gen 1 USB does not support 24/176. The gen 2 does. You can tell foobar to change the sample rate in the DSP settings (resampler (PPHS)) or download the SoX plugin. The resampler will have to be changed every time or it will resample everything. The SoX mod2 can be set up to only resample 176.

http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=67373

Users who are viewing this thread

Back