Schiit Audio Bifrost 2
Sep 24, 2019 at 7:21 AM Post #121 of 4,951
When I was looking at the remote, I couldn't work out why the heck it was a: magnetic, and b: seemed to be screw-less and the battery not replaceable. Then I pried at the black button surface with a fingernail, and it came up! It is held in place with magnets!

I forgot to add that to the review, as it is pretty clever I reckon.

Sep 24, 2019 at 11:41 AM Post #123 of 4,951
Its on their FAQ page. You provide proof of purchase.

Every Bifrost owner or upgrader gets $100 off? What does that mean?
It means that if you bought a Bifrost from us or an authorized reseller, or if you purchased a Bifrost upgrade from us—basically, if you've given us any money at all towards a Bifrost at any time—you get Bifrost 2 for $599, not $699.

How do I get this $100 off?
Put a note on your order with proof of purchase of a Bifrost or Bifrost upgrade (like an order number). If necessary, we'll contact you to verify this.

Sep 24, 2019 at 3:15 PM Post #124 of 4,951
Had a chance to hear a Bifrost 2 last weekend and it compared very well to the Gungnir. Biggest difference for me was the depth and seperation of instruments the Gungnir had. But I feel the BF2 had a touch more bass. Both were fed via USB and balanced out to a Mjolnir 2. Really impressed Schiit was able to create this at the price point!

Sep 24, 2019 at 4:13 PM Post #126 of 4,951
I think I will be sticking with my Bifrost Multibit for now mainly because I have no use for the balanced outputs and because of the 22ms audio latency that the 8x oversampling brings. Jason, would it be possible to bring back the 4x oversampling option as a "gaming mode" to the Bifrost 2 via a firmware update? It would be awesome to have the option to switch to a lower latency mode when you are gaming and go back to the full oversampling mode for music listening.

I also think that there definitely is a space for a regular non-upgradable DAC that matches the new Asgard or Lyr form factor with an AKM4490 chip and discrete analog stage. Bifrost 2 price point is quite steep and there is a huge price gap between it and the Modi 3 (which I own and love as well!).

Sep 25, 2019 at 7:56 AM Post #129 of 4,951
Had a chance to hear a Bifrost 2 last weekend and it compared very well to the Gungnir. Biggest difference for me was the depth and seperation of instruments the Gungnir had. But I feel the BF2 had a touch more bass. Both were fed via USB and balanced out to a Mjolnir 2. Really impressed Schiit was able to create this at the price point!

It's safe to say that Gungnir will get a real "2" version or something and it too will be special. Will it stay the same price? Will it be even closer to Yiggy in performance? Better in some ways? Different?

I'm sure we'll know in the next few months.

Sep 25, 2019 at 5:23 PM Post #131 of 4,951
Sorry for the trouble. We've been chasing down a problem that was finally identified--a bad batch of surface-mount capacitors. If you're having trouble with your Bifrost 2, let us know, and we'll either swap it out (rapid replace/return, no need to wait for it to come back to us) or, if you just want to move on, we'll issue a full refund, including all shipping.

Mine has been working great so far, but was ordered the first day from the initial batch. Symptoms of the bad capacitors we should be looking out for?

Sep 25, 2019 at 6:53 PM Post #132 of 4,951
The symptoms I saw people write about who had the bad caps were of very obvious distortion.

Sep 25, 2019 at 8:45 PM Post #133 of 4,951
Mine has been working great so far, but was ordered the first day from the initial batch. Symptoms of the bad capacitors we should be looking out for?
First day order here as well, received in the afternoon, worked until the early morning hours, left it on, when I came back: dead. Don't know whether the bad caps were the cause, though.
Replacement is working great, running 24/7. Getting pretty hot during days like this.

Sep 25, 2019 at 9:40 PM Post #134 of 4,951
First day order here as well, received in the afternoon, worked until the early morning hours, left it on, when I came back: dead. Don't know whether the bad caps were the cause, though.
Replacement is working great, running 24/7. Getting pretty hot during days like this.

Well, sounds like it would be obvious at least. Interesting about the heat. I notice it certainly doesn't run cool, but has not been getting to any levels of heat that concern me. Using in stack with a Jotunheim at work, both on 24/7.

Sep 25, 2019 at 10:29 PM Post #135 of 4,951
Well, sounds like it would be obvious at least. Interesting about the heat. I notice it certainly doesn't run cool, but has not been getting to any levels of heat that concern me. Using in stack with a Jotunheim at work, both on 24/7.
I had a Jotunheim (off when not in use) on top as well. Briefly had this setup with the new one:

20190911_130643.jpg

Both seemed to run a bit cooler this way.

Now the Bifrost 2 is under a glass monitor riser and the Jotunheim is on top of the riser. We're having a heatwave in San Francisco right now and the Bifrost 2 is unpleasantly hot just idling. About as hot as the Yggdrasil in a cabinet with a door (but no rear walls), which I've been using all day. Meanwhile, the Ragnarok 2 on top of the cabinet is merely handwarm while powering my speakers. Those heatsinks are very effective. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back