Schiit Audio Bifrost 2
Sep 27, 2019 at 6:38 PM Post #151 of 4,877
Methinks it will be awhile before we see b stock on Bifrost. Has anyone noticed b stock on Aegir, Ragnarok 2, or the new Sagas & Freyas yet? I haven't, and I'm a serial b stock checker.
I just figured if they had installed a bad batch of components and needed to reconfigure those that were already assembled that might constitute b-stock. I ordered a Bifrost 2 and the order won't be ready until next week so I think they're ironing out their supply issues before sending out any more BF2's.

Sep 27, 2019 at 6:47 PM Post #152 of 4,877
I just figured if they had installed a bad batch of components and needed to reconfigure those that were already assembled that might constitute b-stock. I ordered a Bifrost 2 and the order won't be ready until next week so I think they're ironing out their supply issues before sending out any more BF2's.

I'm not saying they don't have b stock, I'm just speculating it might be awhile before we see b stock offered for sale

Sep 27, 2019 at 11:53 PM Post #153 of 4,877
Symptoms of the bad capacitors we should be looking out for?
The symptoms I saw people write about who had the bad caps were of very obvious distortion.
My replacement unit (after running fine 24/7 for over two weeks, and receiving the new firmware yesterday) also flashed all three LEDs just now. Power cycling brought it back to life, though - and I can't detect any distortion, either. So I guess the symptoms vary.
I sent an email to orders@schiit.com.

Last edited:
Sep 29, 2019 at 9:33 AM Post #154 of 4,877
My replacement unit (after running fine 24/7 for over two weeks, and receiving the new firmware yesterday) also flashed all three LEDs just now. Power cycling brought it back to life, though - and I can't detect any distortion, either. So I guess the symptoms vary.
I sent an email to orders@schiit.com.

Same here. My initial unit did the 3 LED flash after 3 hours of use, sound cut out completely, but no distortion. Functionality resumed after a restart of the DAC. I sent my unit in for replacement on last Monday and waiting on a new unit to be shipped.

Sep 30, 2019 at 4:57 PM Post #155 of 4,877
Jason has stated that the 'board not recognized / 3-flashing lights' issue has been identified as a bad capacitor and are now out of the system w/ currently shipping units not having those pesky bad caps. He has also stated that the aliasing/distortion issue has been identified and resolved with new firmware and all currently shipping units have been updated.

Thanks for your effort and communication, @Jason Stoddard . I have placed my order and am giddy at the prospect of pairing it with my Lyr 3!!! :D

Oct 1, 2019 at 1:35 PM Post #158 of 4,877
Jason has stated that the 'board not recognized / 3-flashing lights' issue has been identified as a bad capacitor and are now out of the system w/ currently shipping units not having those pesky bad caps. He has also stated that the aliasing/distortion issue has been identified and resolved with new firmware and all currently shipping units have been updated.

I got mine before the bad caps were discovered, but it’s still working fine and I haven’t experienced the USB lockout either.

@Jason Stoddard were all caps sub par in the bad batch, or are only some units in risk of failing?
If the cap/caps fail, will it go blinky-blinky immediately or could there be more subtle issues first? Also, is it possible to check by serial number if an unit has caps from that batch?

Thanks for your effort and communication, @Jason Stoddard . I have placed my order and am giddy at the prospect of pairing it with my Lyr 3!!! :D

It is a very, very nice pairing indeed :D
I don’t think you will be disappointed, the Bifrost2 is a significant step up, from the multibit dac card, and Modi multibit, in every regard I can think of - and the Lyr3 responds beautifully to it.

Now, if you’ll excuse me, I need to go back to enjoy the music :L3000:

Oct 1, 2019 at 1:43 PM Post #159 of 4,877
I got mine before the bad caps were discovered, but it’s still working fine and I haven’t experienced the USB lockout either.

@Jason Stoddard were all caps sub par in the bad batch, or are only some units in risk of failing?
If the cap/caps fail, will it go blinky-blinky immediately or could there be more subtle issues first? Also, is it possible to check by serial number if an unit has caps from that batch?

Not all caps are bad, and the fails are obvious--as in, the product stops working, period, deader, toast, finis.

Mine has been working fine on my desk since launch, no bad caps, no firmware issues, which is the case for about 93% of all Bifrost 2s out there, according to our data. However, the difference between 93% and 99.5% (a typical launch) is night and day. Due to this, everyone in customer service knows that Bifrost 2s get an expanded rapid return/exchange window to catch any other problems, and we have sent new firmware to every Bifrost 2 owner on microSD card. If you're having problems, update your firmware and then contact us if that doesn't solve it.

Attachments

• image.png
    image.png
    1.7 KB · Views: 0
Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
Oct 1, 2019 at 6:55 PM Post #160 of 4,877
Not all caps are bad, and the fails are obvious--as in, the product stops working, period, deader, toast, finis.

Mine has been working fine on my desk since launch, no bad caps, no firmware issues, which is the case for about 93% of all Bifrost 2s out there, according to our data. However, the difference between 93% and 99.5% (a typical launch) is night and day. Due to this, everyone in customer service knows that Bifrost 2s get an expanded rapid return/exchange window to catch any other problems, and we have sent new firmware to every Bifrost 2 owner on microSD card. If you're having problems, update your firmware and then contact us if that doesn't solve it.

Thanks for the info and clarification on this. Looks like I’m in the 93% with no issues still, and I’ve been using it daily for the past two weeks since I got it (and loving every minute of it).

I’ll be sure to install the new firmware as soon as it gets here anyway, but I guess it needs a few more days to get over the big pond :)

Oct 1, 2019 at 8:43 PM Post #161 of 4,877
BF3 arrived today, and I've had it plugged in since this morning for some warm-up. Initial impressions (with the Asgard 3) are that it is more laid-back than my BFM -- but in a potentially positive way. It's more gently resolving, much more open and spacious, which allows a lot of extra detail and layering to reveal itself. Reverb and delay effects are almost overwhelming compared to what I'm used to. I'm going to give myself time to acclimate and then do some A/Bing but honestly, I may just return it and stick with the Bimby based on my initial opinion -- I may just kind of prefer the BFM's more mid-forward sound, even if it is somewhat less resolving... but who knows, maybe I'll switch back and wonder how I ever tolerated the BFM, haha.

Oct 1, 2019 at 9:55 PM Post #162 of 4,877
BF3 arrived today...

OMG!! BF3 is out already!?

I guess I better cancel my BF2 order since it hasn't shipped yet. :wink:

Last edited:
Oct 2, 2019 at 5:41 PM Post #163 of 4,877
OMG!! BF3 is out already!?

I guess I better cancel my BF2 order since it hasn't shipped yet. :wink:

Hahaha, yes. Confusing my acronyms here I guess.

To continue my impressions: I know burn-in is a controversial subject in our circles but god damn if BF2 couldn't make for a good study subject on the matter; I swear to God, the BF2's changed after leaving it on overnight. Mids are much more present, the highs have mellowed very nicely, and bass has deepened. All that resolution is still there. All my misgivings that had me thinking I may stick with the BFM are kind of melting away. This is just so clean, and so detailed, yet so musical.

Oct 2, 2019 at 5:44 PM Post #164 of 4,877
I've read elsewhere by other folks that they thought it sounded much better after some burn in time. Interesting topic. I wonder how much is actual burn in, and how much is our ears/brain adjusting to what we are hearing.

Oct 2, 2019 at 6:02 PM Post #165 of 4,877
I've read elsewhere by other folks that they thought it sounded much better after some burn in time. Interesting topic. I wonder how much is actual burn in, and how much is our ears/brain adjusting to what we are hearing.

On Steve Hoffman was a post by a guy who used a BFM demo unit for awhile and then got a brand-new one and he even noticed the sound was different between the "burnt-in" unit and the brand new one. I don't personally subscribe to the idea of units needing 500 hours to sound their best but it doesn't seem completely unfeasible to me that straight from the assembly line their components might change slightly with use.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back