Schiit Audio Bifrost 2
Sep 22, 2019 at 2:45 PM Post #108 of 4,812
My understanding is the filter is in play, but the higher the native resolution, the less it samples..

The yggy faq talks a about 8,4,2, and 1x sampling depending upon incoming resolution.

https://www.schiit.com/products/yggdrasil

I believe 16/44.1 gets us to 8x with 4x,2x1xthe higher up we go in quality of source material.

Ok I think I figured it out:

When I was listening to Amazon HD music I couldn't hear any difference between the bitrate settings, so I left it at 24/192.
But when I put on a video file with low quality audio it sounded like crap with the Bifrost set to 24/192, so I changed it to 16/44 and there was a very noticeable improvement!

It looks like the bitrate setting in the properties determines what is sent to the Bifrost, and if you play crap audio with the setting at 24/192, the Bifrost can't use it's filter.
At the same time, if you have good 24/192 music and have the setting on 16/44, then I think you are losing some information from the file, but the Bifrost filter is actually filling it back in.

What would be nice if there was a way to have it auto-adjust to whatever audio quality you are playing...

Last edited:
Sep 22, 2019 at 3:02 PM Post #109 of 4,812

When I was listening to Amazon HD music I couldn't hear any difference between the bitrate settings, so I left it at 24/192.
But when I put on a video file with low quality audio it sounded like crap with the Bifrost set to 24/192, so I changed it to 16/44 and there was a very noticeable improvement!

It looks like the bitrate setting in the properties determines what is sent to the Bifrost, and if you play crap audio with the setting at 24/192, the Bifrost can't use it's filter.
At the same time, if you have good 24/192 music and have the setting on 16/44, then I think you are losing some information from the file, but the Bifrost filter is actually filling it back in.

What would be nice if there was a way to have it auto-adjust to whatever audio quality you are playing...

If you are using a bit-perfect solution like Audirvana you can specify no forced oversampling. In that case the Bifrost automatically adjusts (clicks) when the file bit-rate changes.

Sep 23, 2019 at 1:51 AM Post #110 of 4,812

So basically you need exclusive mode :)

Sep 23, 2019 at 3:09 PM Post #111 of 4,812
My experience with Bifrost 2 (230V version) has been very disappointing. I had to return two units.

The first unit exhibited random issues somewhere within the DAC where the audio output would appear as if a very strong low pass or a comb-like filter was applied to the output. The issue would get triggered every so often whenever the audio stream was being locked on, either when seeking thru a song or when toggling the muting using the remote control. I could replicate this on the USB and optical inputs, so the new Unison receiver was not to be blamed. Every once in awhile the right channel would also get extreme quantization-like noise on the right channel, I managed to get a song to play like that and I have a recording of it. RMA'd.

The second unit had an extremely loud transformer hum and no sound output, essentially DOA. The enclosure and even the power cable would vibrate to a point where it functioned more like an electric razor than a DAC.

The audio recordings of the first issue (white noise test while triggering the muting and/or toggling the source and the distorted right channel) and the video of the transformer humming away are available here: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/m8mobxy0073k09e/AADh-8lNffpEZCHZr2Mv56fda?dl=0

I've read some reviews that noted that the playback seemed to be "muted" in the first couple of hours of playing back, that might be related to the issue that I had with the first unit. Hopefully, I'll get some feedback from Schiit on what went wrong with these two units, as I quite liked the sound when compared to Jotunheim's MB DAC card. Looks like their new platform isn't quite there yet and I wouldn't feel confident with yet another replacement from the same production run.

Last edited:
Sep 23, 2019 at 5:23 PM Post #114 of 4,812
My experience with Bifrost 2 (230V version) has been very disappointing. I had to return two units... Looks like their new platform isn't quite there yet and I wouldn't feel confident with yet another replacement from the same production run.
How unfortunate! It's always annoying when things don't work...

However, all electronics have DOA units, even Apple and Samsung. And while other companies might give up on you after 2 rotten eggs, Schiit is not one of those companies.
If you give them a chance they will make sure you end up with a working Bifrost, and after you listen to it and live with it I think you will quickly forget the rocky start you had!

Sep 23, 2019 at 5:26 PM Post #115 of 4,812
My experience with Bifrost 2 (230V version) has been very disappointing. I had to return two units.

The first unit exhibited random issues somewhere within the DAC where the audio output would appear as if a very strong low pass or a comb-like filter was applied to the output. The issue would get triggered every so often whenever the audio stream was being locked on, either when seeking thru a song or when toggling the muting using the remote control. I could replicate this on the USB and optical inputs, so the new Unison receiver was not to be blamed. Every once in awhile the right channel would also get extreme quantization-like noise on the right channel, I managed to get a song to play like that and I have a recording of it. RMA'd.

The second unit with an extremely loud transformer hum and no sound output, essentially DOA. The enclosure and even the cable that power cable would vibrate to a point where it functioned more like an electric razor than a DAC.

The audio recordings of the first issue (white noise test while triggering the muting and/or toggling the source and the distorted right channel) and the video of the transformer humming away are available here: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/m8mobxy0073k09e/AADh-8lNffpEZCHZr2Mv56fda?dl=0

I've read some reviews that noted that the playback seemed to be "muted" in the first couple of hours of playing back, that might be related to the issue that I had with the first unit. Hopefully, I'll get some feedback from Schiit on what went wrong with these two units, as I quite liked the sound when compared to Jotunheim's MB DAC card. Looks like their new platform isn't quite there yet and I wouldn't feel confident with yet another replacement from the same production run.

Sorry for the trouble. We've been chasing down a problem that was finally identified--a bad batch of surface-mount capacitors. If you're having trouble with your Bifrost 2, let us know, and we'll either swap it out (rapid replace/return, no need to wait for it to come back to us) or, if you just want to move on, we'll issue a full refund, including all shipping.

Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
Sep 23, 2019 at 6:02 PM Post #116 of 4,812
The way I see that is it's a $600 upgrade instead of $700 new lol.

I'm fine with my Bifrost mb, but I'll not look at a DAC or head amp and see the upgradability as a huge feature anymore.

AND you also get to keep your current bf multibit and/or sell it.

Sep 23, 2019 at 6:04 PM Post #117 of 4,812
I noticed the default bitrate for my Bifrost 2 was set at 32/192 out of the box, which is odd because I thought the max supported was 24/192
Anyone else try it on the higher bitrate? Not sure if I can tell a difference to be honest, but I don't have the best ears...

En4fYvP.jpg

make sure you also enable "exclusive mode" -- it's in the box below that drop down (covered in your pic).

Sep 23, 2019 at 6:10 PM Post #118 of 4,812
Not gonna lie but the Bifrost 2 to my nearfield speakers pretty much killed my listening time with my portable IEMs ever since I received it. A good DAC with a decent entry level nearfield bookshelf speaker setup just blows away my Mojo -> Andromeda portable setup. Can't justify spending multikilobucks on IEMs that still sound worse than a common nearfield speaker found in a home studio

i agree -- my desktop system completely blows away my headphone setup. not even close. i even downgraded from stax sr-l700 and a mjolnir audio kgsshv -- just couldn't justify the cost.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back