Schiit Asgard: Unboxing and First Impressions
Nov 7, 2011 at 6:29 PM Post #1,366 of 1,717
no hard feelings marximus!  you must just be excited
biggrin.gif
  and you should be, Asgard is worth being excited for!  

M

Nov 7, 2011 at 7:44 PM Post #1,367 of 1,717

Quote:
... only to find cave occupied by a large, very annoyed, black bear.
biggrin.gif

Uses Schiit Asgard of Mighty Amping +4 to defeat black bear.

Quote:
no hard feelings marximus!  you must just be excited
biggrin.gif
  and you should be, Asgard is worth being excited for!  

M

I'm pretty excited about it.  This is my first serious amp since I had the M-stage a year or two ago (it didn't do anything for me, so I sold it, although my setup may not have been optimal).  I like its simplicity, and I've had KILLER customer service so far.  I sent a couple emails to Jason with some questions about the Asgard yesterday morning at about 6, AND HE RESPONDED IN MINUTES.  AT 6:30 ON A SUNDAY MORNING.  That's just unheard of.  Ordered it this morning, and got the tracking number this afternoon.  Wednesday is shaping up to be a good day:).

Nov 7, 2011 at 9:13 PM Post #1,368 of 1,717

Quote:
Guys, Whats your favourite headphone to the Asagard amp? And what type of music do you listen to?

My favorite matches with the Asgard are my Senn HD600/HD580 and my Grados SR60 and SR325is.  I've rediscovered my Senns again after getting the Asgard.  Makes them sound clear and lively.

My general music preferences are in my profile.

Nov 7, 2011 at 9:19 PM Post #1,369 of 1,717
^ good day indeed :) 

Nov 9, 2011 at 1:09 AM Post #1,371 of 1,717
So, I got my Asgard today and am really impressed with the build quality. And as a fan of Monoprice cables, I was also surprised to see a Monoprice RCA to stereo mini packed in.

Been a big fan of Jason Stoddard and Sumo.....still have my Polaris amp that I have owned since 1986ish, and am glad to see his mark on current designs.

Nov 9, 2011 at 7:46 AM Post #1,372 of 1,717
Objectively: Is the Asgard considered potent enough to drive the HiFiMAN HE-500? Or must you spring for something more robust (such as the Lyr)?

I don't listen at very high volume and don't listen to incredibly dynamic music. Recent orders: Three Mile Pilot, Ramona Falls, Secret Machines, Cloud Cult, Craig Wedren, Okkervil River.
-----------------------------
Subjectively: Is the Asgard considered a good sonic match for the HiFiMAN HE-500?

I like a lot of quick detail and can handle sharp treble.

Thanks!

Nov 9, 2011 at 11:04 AM Post #1,373 of 1,717
I got my Asgard this morning.  I was suprised by the size, being a little smaller than I was expecting, which is a good thing.

Unfortunately, I had to make my way to work but I had about 15 minutes of listening time and I was very pleased with what I heard.  My DAC right now is an Audiotrak Dr. DAC Nano which is "meh" compared to the Nuforce HDP I used to own.  I'm hoping that a Bifrost (fed by mostly 320kbps/ALAC and my Oppo SACD player) will open up the soundstage a bit more than my current setup.

That being said, the Asgard seems to pair very well with my Ultrasone Pro 750s.  The bass impact is jaw dropping and I am hearing pretty descent separation. 

I have a feeling that I will be spending a significant amount of time in front of my iMac this evening with the Asgard in the midst of burn-in and a glass or two of Macallan.
biggrin.gif

Nov 9, 2011 at 2:20 PM Post #1,374 of 1,717
Just got my Asgard at work, listening to the new Wish You Were Here 24/96 off the Immersion box set. 

I am outputting from the DAC via RCA to the Asgard. As my DAC has a volume knob (it has an integrated amp), what should I set it the volume at, or does it make a difference? Keeping it curently at 50%, as I don't want somebody plugging into the DAC by accident and blowing out their eardrums or damaging headphones. 

Nov 9, 2011 at 5:50 PM Post #1,375 of 1,717
As far as driving the HE-500's goes, I don't know, but the Asgard drives my HE-5LE's really well. Since I understand that the 500's are easier than the 5LE's to drive I'd bet that it'll drive the 500's well, but until you actually try the combination you won't know for sure. YMMV

Nov 9, 2011 at 8:05 PM Post #1,376 of 1,717
Just got mine. Initial impressions are...positive.  It's a lot more sprightly and nimble than my Denon receiver (and absolutely silent when no music is playing, a nice change).  It also makes me think it's fairly neutral, because I think I can get a better idea of how my uDAC-2 sounds; i.e., kind of bright and maybe a bit harsh.  I'm looking forward to receiving my E10 and seeing if that warms up things a bit.  But good separation and detail so far, and everything's very tight and clean.  Great soundstage.  I've got it in the vertical position, and it's kind of wobbly that way (but my desk isn't too solid).  It's warm to the touch, but not hot (I've only been using it for about half an hour, though).  So far so good!
P.S.  I did receive it without the RCA cable, but I emailed Jason, and got a response within five minutes, and he's going to ship one to me.  Fortunately, I have other interconnects, so it's not a huge deal, but rather another testament to Schiit's phenomenal customer service.

Nov 9, 2011 at 9:16 PM Post #1,377 of 1,717
So I hooked up the Asgard today.....very impressed.

Just curious....I get a nice pop when turned off and on. Is this normal....I assume I have the one with the relay.

Nov 9, 2011 at 9:28 PM Post #1,378 of 1,717

Quote:
As far as driving the HE-500's goes, I don't know, but the Asgard drives my HE-5LE's really well. Since I understand that the 500's are easier than the 5LE's to drive I'd bet that it'll drive the 500's well, but until you actually try the combination you won't know for sure. YMMV

Thank you!

Nov 9, 2011 at 9:31 PM Post #1,379 of 1,717

Quote:
So I hooked up the Asgard today.....very impressed.

Just curious....I get a nice pop when turned off and on. Is this normal....I assume I have a ew one with the relay.

I believe it is, it does with mine.  I has also been mentioned earlier in this thread and other threads.  

I would recommend unplugging your headphones before powering it down.

Nov 9, 2011 at 9:35 PM Post #1,380 of 1,717

Quote:
I believe it is, it does with mine.  I has also been mentioned earlier in this thread and other threads.  

I would recommend unplugging your headphones before powering it down.

I'll do that.....

Just curious, then why was the relay added?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back