Schiit Asgard: Unboxing and First Impressions
Nov 9, 2011 at 9:45 PM Post #1,381 of 1,717
More impressions:  Holy Schiit.  I have been doing my FA-003s (and pretty much every other headphone I plugged into the Denon receiver) a great disservice.  It's like a veil has been lifted from my music (and I never considered the Fischers to have a veil).  An eye-opening experience.  Now I'm concerned I'll have to go back to all those headphones I sold and try them out again with renewed ears:p.
For those of you using a computer as your source, do you hear very quiet "electronic noise" coming from the amp?  It's very quiet, but when there's no music playing, I can hear little sounds which correspond to the things my computer is doing (like scrolling, processing, etc.).  It's not a deal-breaker, and on the whole the Asgard is a whole heck of a lot quieter than the Denon, but I've noticed it, all the same.  Overall, though, kudos to Jason and crew for making an awesome amp.  I just hope I don't lose my Schiit any time soon....

Nov 9, 2011 at 9:58 PM Post #1,382 of 1,717

Quote:
More impressions:  Holy Schiit.  I have been doing my FA-003s (and pretty much every other headphone I plugged into the Denon receiver) a great disservice.  It's like a veil has been lifted from my music (and I never considered the Fischers to have a veil).  An eye-opening experience.  Now I'm concerned I'll have to go back to all those headphones I sold and try them out again with renewed ears:p.
For those of you using a computer as your source, do you hear very quiet "electronic noise" coming from the amp?  It's very quiet, but when there's no music playing, I can hear little sounds which correspond to the things my computer is doing (like scrolling, processing, etc.).  It's not a deal-breaker, and on the whole the Asgard is a whole heck of a lot quieter than the Denon, but I've noticed it, all the same.  Overall, though, kudos to Jason and crew for making an awesome amp.  I just hope I don't lose my Schiit any time soon....

I hear pure silence through my 2011 Mac mini > HRT MSII+ > Asgard. between tracks or when nothing is playing.

Nov 9, 2011 at 10:06 PM Post #1,383 of 1,717
Mine is coming from a uDAC-2, which is coming from an HP desktop.  It's pretty difficult to pick out, and I can't hear it on my HTF600s (the only other pair I've got at the moment), so it's not too big of a deal.  Waiting to see if the E10 will change things.

Nov 9, 2011 at 10:18 PM Post #1,384 of 1,717

Quote:
Mine is coming from a uDAC-2, which is coming from an HP desktop.  It's pretty difficult to pick out, and I can't hear it on my HTF600s (the only other pair I've got at the moment), so it's not too big of a deal.  Waiting to see if the E10 will change things.

Might be a Mac vs PC thing. Before I am labeled a Mac fan.....I use PC's...Win 7 on all my daily computing, but use a Mac mini has my audio source at home. I will say when I listen to music on my Win 7 desktop at work, I hear all types of stuff, etc.

Nov 9, 2011 at 10:44 PM Post #1,386 of 1,717
Got an email from Jason saying I got the old owner's manual, which states that an adapter and the 1/8--RCA cable are included.  Apparently they've had too many failures with the products, though, so they're no longer included with the Asgard.  Just a heads-up for prospective buyers.

Nov 9, 2011 at 11:07 PM Post #1,387 of 1,717
I just got mine today, it had both.  It was a nice thought to add them, but in all reality, I don't think I will ever plug my iphone into this. 

Nov 9, 2011 at 11:20 PM Post #1,388 of 1,717
I like the 1/8"-to-RCA, though, because if the E10 ends up working out for me, it will be quite useful (only 1/8" available on the E10, as opposed to RCA on my current uDAC-2).  The fewer cables and adapters needed to connect the two, the better.

Nov 10, 2011 at 12:48 AM Post #1,389 of 1,717

Quote:
Got an email from Jason saying I got the old owner's manual, which states that an adapter and the 1/8--RCA cable are included.  Apparently they've had too many failures with the products, though, so they're no longer included with the Asgard.  Just a heads-up for prospective buyers.

What number is your Asgard?, mine is 931.....

Nov 10, 2011 at 2:17 AM Post #1,391 of 1,717

Quote:

Try plugging your USB DAC in different ports on the computer.  Try the inconvenient ports on the back of the computer rather than the convenient ports on the front.  The ports on the front are often all shared on the same USB bus and are also likely on a hub.  The ports on the back are more likely to be on separate USB buses.  You don't want your audio device to be on the same USB bus as other devices.  Otherwise you can get that exact "electronic noise" you are describing.

Another option, if the above doesn't work out, is to add a USB expansion card in the computer and dedicate that card to just your USB DAC.  USB 2.0 expansion cards can be had for under $20 even at BestBuy.  That will guarantee that your DAC is on its own bus with no hub and is not sharing resources or interference with your mouse, keyboard, web cam, or other USB devices.

Nov 10, 2011 at 9:32 AM Post #1,392 of 1,717

Quote:
Might be a Mac vs PC thing. Before I am labeled a Mac fan.....I use PC's...Win 7 on all my daily computing, but use a Mac mini has my audio source at home. I will say when I listen to music on my Win 7 desktop at work, I hear all types of stuff, etc.

I'm using a 27" iMac with an ESI/Audiotrak Dr. DAC Nano as the source and I am hearing a similar noise from 11 o'clock-on.  However, I don't think I have a great ground in that part of the house and I suspect that is the problem.

Nov 10, 2011 at 10:09 AM Post #1,393 of 1,717
I'm plugged into the most inconvenient spot in the back:). But I'll look into the expansion thingy. I'm just chuffed to bits about the sound quality as is, so I'm in no rush to spend more money.

Nov 10, 2011 at 11:27 AM Post #1,394 of 1,717
I as well.  It's an amazing amp for the money.  I may go the "tube" route down the road, but I don't see myself ever parting with this amp.  (Dare I say that Schiit could probably charge more for this level of performance?)

Nov 10, 2011 at 2:18 PM Post #1,395 of 1,717
New guy here, I'd just like to thank everyone who's posted here. This is my first foray into headphones and reading about everyone's experiences has really helped me decide on what gear to get!

I'm about a week or two away from pulling the trigger on a set of Beyer DT-990/600's along with a Fiio D3 DAC and an Asgard. I could be persuaded to go the Valhalla route (or a 250 Ohm can), but I think this is a good place to start. At home, I listen on a set of Klipsch KLF-30 speakers and refuse to give them up (though they're now in my office, since SWMBO has decreed they're too large. They've been succeeded by a set of Def Tech Mythos STS.) I love the Klipsch sound on everything I listen to, which is almost literally everything except country and rap. From what I've read, the 990 and Asgard will be pretty darn close. I'm also limited on sources for the next year (xbox and FLAC from my laptop via s/pdif) since I'm overseas. Had to leave the Oppo at home.  Anybody disagree with my picks?

Thanks again!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back