Schiit Asgard: Unboxing and First Impressions
Sep 16, 2011 at 10:42 AM Post #1,336 of 1,717
I just upgraded my SR125i's to HD600 and I'm really happy with the sound with this amp.  I don't have much to compare it too, but it's solid.  Now i'm looking for a set of closed.  Glad to see people are liking the Denon D2000's I might end up with those soon.

Sep 17, 2011 at 5:47 AM Post #1,337 of 1,717
Hi,

Has anybody measured the headphone output impedance of the Asgard?

Sep 22, 2011 at 3:39 AM Post #1,339 of 1,717
my impression ....
Burson is tall big sonorous,smooth slightly warm, strong sounding amp...like a father.
duggehsmile.png

Asgard is fast, good seperation crisp, great slamm...like a young man..or brash young man.
evil_smiley.gif

Sep 23, 2011 at 8:13 AM Post #1,340 of 1,717

Quote:
my impression ....
Burson is tall big sonorous,smooth slightly warm, strong sounding amp...like a father.
duggehsmile.png

Asgard is fast, good seperation crisp, great slamm...like a young man..or brash young man.
evil_smiley.gif

Haha, interesting analogy but I more or less agree with your opinion. Burson has more detail to my ears though.

Sep 30, 2011 at 2:33 AM Post #1,342 of 1,717
Hey I am not sure what happened with the problem with the previous version of Asgards when another member here posted a video of his AKGs taking weird shapes when turning his Asgard on and off. Jason, do you take the early version of the amps back and put a relay (I don't remember the technical term)? I am in the process of obtaining an earlier version so I would like to know if it would pose a danger to my phones in any way. All hail the Schiit :) 

Sep 30, 2011 at 10:21 AM Post #1,343 of 1,717
Yuceka,

Yep, anyone who owns an Asgard and wants a muting relay installed can simply send it back to us, and we'll do it at no charge. Please contact us for an RA first, though, so we know why your Asgard came in.

All the best,
Jason

Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
Sep 30, 2011 at 2:20 PM Post #1,344 of 1,717
Hi Jason,

For us that lives in Europe it cost alot to send it back to the US. Is it possible to get you to send us that muting relay and get a local hifi store to solder it in, or if you got knowledge do it yourselfe! Is it much job to solder in?

Quote:
Yuceka,

Yep, anyone who owns an Asgard and wants a muting relay installed can simply send it back to us, and we'll do it at no charge. Please contact us for an RA first, though, so we know why your Asgard came in.

All the best,
Jason

Oct 2, 2011 at 7:56 PM Post #1,345 of 1,717
Wouldn't it be the other way around though? Wouldn't some Sennheisers sound better on the Valhalla becasue they are high impedance and the Valhalla is an OTL design. IMO the K601 and K701 would sound much better on the Asgard and Lyr as they put out oodels of current while the Valhalla is aimed at voltage delivery? Now I remember when I had the K601 it sounded rather bloated and muddy on my WA3+ so I would think it would be the same for the Valhalla. Now if the Sennheisers/AKG's were low impedance it would be a different story. Not to sound like I am discrediting your statement but was just wondering.

Now on my end I have a friend who is sending me his Lyr to try out and I'll report back when it arrives. I'am excited to see how it performs.

Quote:
Sennheiser's sound good on the Asgard, AKG's sound better on the Valhalla and particularly the Lyr, IMO.

Oct 3, 2011 at 9:15 AM Post #1,346 of 1,717

Quote:
Wouldn't it be the other way around though? Wouldn't some Sennheisers sound better on the Valhalla becasue they are high impedance and the Valhalla is an OTL design. IMO the K601 and K701 would sound much better on the Asgard and Lyr as they put out oodels of current while the Valhalla is aimed at voltage delivery? Now I remember when I had the K601 it sounded rather bloated and muddy on my WA3+ so I would think it would be the same for the Lyr. Now if the Sennheisers/AKG's were low impedance it would be a different story. Not to sound like I am discrediting your statement but was just wondering.

You're correct in theory, but in practice my impressions match kwkarth's as well.  My impressions are:

HD800:  Asgard > Lyr > Valhalla

K701:  Lyr >> Valhalla >> Asgard

T1:  Valhalla >> Lyr >> Asgard

For some reason, the Asgard really does work well with Sennheisers (or at least with the HD650 and HD800 that I tried), despite them having a 300-ohm impedance.  The Lyr works magic with the K701, making them sound better than on any other amp I've heard.  And as for the 600-ohm Beyerdynamic headphones, they behave much like you'd expect -- they definitely sound better on the OTL Valhalla than the other two Schiit amps.

Oct 9, 2011 at 1:23 AM Post #1,347 of 1,717
Considering nicknaming my Asgard the AsGrill. I was made well aware that these run hot, not just warm, but hot- but dear lord do not leave a box of crayons on or anywhere near this thing.

I couldn't put my hand on it for more than 15 or so seconds. But that's fine with me, this thing is the deal of the century.

There is not a single thing about this amp, both in build and performance that doesn't ooze with quality. Excited for it's brother bifrost to hang out with it. Jason said it was fine to put the bifrost under the asgard, as long as it's not vice versa… so that should look sexy, me thinks.

Oct 26, 2011 at 3:45 AM Post #1,349 of 1,717
I'm considering (read: if I couldn't access this site I would probably just buy one instead of asking) the Asgard for my AH D2000. My current setup only has the Asus Xonar Essence ST which has a relatively weak amp, or so I gathered.
Got a few questions though

1: I'm on a (give or take) £200 budget, Asgard my best bet in that price range? They are well suited to the D2000 from what I read. The five year warranty is quite sexy as well.
2: When I eventually want to upgrade my setup, reckon the Asgard will hold up for headphones in the 'next' price range, so to speak.
Which leads me to 3: Will the difference between the ST built in amp and the Asgard be remarkable?

Nov 3, 2011 at 4:01 PM Post #1,350 of 1,717
Ordered on the 17th, back when their site said they'd be shipping the week of the 23rd.

Has anyone from around that time gotten a shipping notice, or are we all still waiting for them to start shipping again?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back