Schiit Asgard: Unboxing and First Impressions
Jun 30, 2010 at 3:36 PM Post #196 of 1,717

Quote:
A quick note here,

I got my HDP and Asgard today, right off the bat I noticed the HDP's headphone amplifier is better in terms of bass depth and pure amount but no by means is the HDP's bass bloated in anyway either.The song I used to do the test was Infected Mushroom - Vicious Delicious. This is through a Grado RS1 and I matched both amplifier's volume by trusting my ears. If I made the Asgard slightly louder, HDP still is more prominent in the bass department. I will give them both more time and hopefully the Asgard can improve in that area.

The right side of the Asgard is indeed hot and I can barely keep my hand on it (borderline so it is hot). Heat wise from greatest to least would be right side,bottom side ,top side, front side, left side then back side. Do not attempt to lift or move the amp around without letting it cool off a bit in its off state, it is that hot. I'm impressed at the build quality, it really looks great and feels extremely solid. The manual says do not use this as a coffee warmer
tongue.gif

Nuforce HDP is a DAC/Headphone Amp/Pre-amp with RCA input/output, 3.5mm and digital optical input - $449

Schiit Asgard is well, just an amp  - $249

Keep that in mind

Quote:
Listen again after the Asgard has 40 hours on the clock.  And when you compare the two amps again, make sure you are using the same DAC for each, and you must make sure your interconnects are up to snuff.

I'm sure the Asgard can improve with burn-in, but so does the HDP and I suspect the HDP is going to remain in the lead (as in that's my guess, not fact). If the HDP were only an amp I would say it was worth the asking price, and yet you get a nice 24/96/192 DAC and preamp with it as well. (you can feed it USB, S/PDIF and analog to switch between sources, with RCA out and headphone out)

I would use the HDP DAC with both amps for comparison, where you feed the HDP RCA out into the Asgard and can easily switch between the two amps quickly by unplugging headphones and moving to the other amp.  And then I'd try another DAC as well, in case people try to say that the HDP preamp might cause the Asgard to suffer in comparison.  Also keep in mind headphone synergy with particular amps.

There are many products that can play above their asking price (Travagans Red with OPA627 or AD743, EF2 with Raytheon tubes, HDP, iBasso D4 stock or with topkit), so I'm not saying the Asgard can't do that.  But even I am starting to think there is a bit of FOTM going on here with this Schitt (as has been accused of the HDP which I prefer a little over my $800 Micro Stack).  But don't worry, if I ever get some Schitt for myself I will be sure to give it good burn-in and a fair listen.

Jun 30, 2010 at 3:41 PM Post #197 of 1,717

Quote:
I lol'd as well, given that the cable included with the amp is a monoprice cable. :)

cheap doesn't always mean bad and expensive doesn't always mean good.

Jun 30, 2010 at 3:47 PM Post #198 of 1,717

Quote:
I'm sure the Asgard can improve with burn-in, but so does the HDP and I suspect the HDP is going to remain in the lead (as in that's my guess, not fact). If the HDP were only an amp I would say it was worth the asking price, and yet you get a nice 24/96/192 DAC and preamp with it as well. (you can feed it USB, S/PDIF and analog to switch between sources, with RCA out and headphone out)

I would use the HDP DAC with both amps for comparison, where you feed the HDP RCA out into the Asgard and can easily switch between the two amps quickly by unplugging headphones and moving to the other amp.  And then I'd try another DAC as well, in case people try to say that the HDP preamp might cause the Asgard to suffer in comparison.  Also keep in mind headphone synergy with particular amps.

There are many products that can play above their asking price (Travagans Red with OPA627 or AD743, EF2 with Raytheon tubes, HDP, iBasso D4 stock or with topkit), so I'm not saying the Asgard can't do that.  But even I am starting to think there is a bit of FOTM going on here with this Schitt (as has been accused of the HDP which I prefer a little over my $800 Micro Stack).  But don't worry, if I ever get some Schitt for myself I will be sure to give it good burn-in and a fair listen.

I was not intending to denigrate the HDP in any way, nor discuss it's need or not for burn in, I only commented on the need for burn in with the Asgard because that is what I experienced.  The HDP may be the better amp, I'm not disputing figures of merit here.  Anybody would want to give all contestants a fair shake.  

Jun 30, 2010 at 4:33 PM Post #200 of 1,717

Quote:
Actually, that was what I was thinking though I purposefully made my comment rather generic. What would your definition of a cable that is up to snuff be?

Personally, I use a lot of the Outlaw OCC interconnects in my systems.  To me, they represent a good balance between cost and performance.  There are better sounding interconnects out there, but for most practical purposes, many are beyond my personal threshold of diminishing returns.  I love the sound of Cardas Neutral and golden reference cables, but they're too spendy for me to throw around like popcorn.  The outlaws are 50 bux for a 1 meter pair.

Jun 30, 2010 at 4:41 PM Post #201 of 1,717

Quote:

I'm definitely using the HDP as the source for the Asgard. I'll be looking to hear in a few days as I burn-in both amps what will be improved and depending whether I feel it is worth it, I will be either keeping or returning the Asgard thanks to their 15 day return policy.

The Asgard sure is hot and HDP is barely lukewarm but that's a whole different implementation and design. A nice hand warmer for sure the Asgard is though it isn't exactly winter here

Jun 30, 2010 at 4:46 PM Post #202 of 1,717

Quote:
I'm definitely using the HDP as the source for the Asgard. I'll be looking to hear in a few days as I burn-in both amps what will be improved and depending whether I feel it is worth it, I will be either keeping or returning the Asgard thanks to their 15 day return policy.

The Asgard sure is hot and HDP is barely lukewarm but that's a whole different implementation and design. A nice hand warmer for sure the Asgard is though it isn't exactly winter here

Yup, it will be nice on a cold winter's day.  
wink_face.gif

BTW, I assume you put the feet on it?

Also, BTW, the smell of hot electronics will go away when it's burnt in too.

Jun 30, 2010 at 8:19 PM Post #205 of 1,717

Quote:
You know what would really make me happy is if someone just did an in depth review and we didn't have all of this speculation. If you haven't heard it, shut it (as in your mouth)
biggrin.gif

Eventually someone will do it but the Asgard is still quite new and it takes a lot of time to become familiar with amps to point out its strengths and weaknesses. I can't say it does anything wrong in particular but I need to spend the entire weekend listening. Did anyone have any light scratches on their Asgard? I find the front light a tad bright so I put tape and paper over to give it a softer glow.
Meanwhile here's some more pics

Jun 30, 2010 at 9:42 PM Post #206 of 1,717
Where are the scratches?

Jun 30, 2010 at 10:13 PM Post #207 of 1,717

Quote:
Where are the scratches?

That's interesting because I did find a scratch located on the bottom of my Asgard that was about an inch long. I tried to ignore it. But about 3 days later I looked for it again and it was gone. I think the heat sealed it up--yep, welded it gone. Seriously: I did see one, really, and now I can't find it. Of course like any scratch on a textured surface I had to search for it by angling it with a proper light source. So perhaps the scratch is still there but the light source isn't at the same angle as the first time for me to find it the second time.

--So: If a tree falls in a forest and no one is around to hear it, does it make a sound?

Jun 30, 2010 at 10:26 PM Post #208 of 1,717

Quote:

--So: If a tree falls in a forest and no one is around to hear it, does it make a sound?

If you ask the question, you will have heard it fall.  
wink.gif

Jun 30, 2010 at 10:57 PM Post #210 of 1,717

Quote:
A quick note here,

I got my HDP and Asgard today, right off the bat I noticed the HDP's headphone amplifier is better in terms of bass depth and pure amount but no by means is the HDP's bass bloated in anyway either.The song I used to do the test was Infected Mushroom - Vicious Delicious. This is through a Grado RS1 and I matched both amplifier's volume by trusting my ears. If I made the Asgard slightly louder, HDP still is more prominent in the bass department. I will give them both more time and hopefully the Asgard can improve in that area.

The right side of the Asgard is indeed hot and I can barely keep my hand on it (borderline so it is hot). Heat wise from greatest to least would be bottom side near right (scorching hot),right side ,top side, front side, left side then back side. Overall the right side is where you do not want to keep your hand on for long.Do not attempt to lift or move the amp around without letting it cool off a bit in its off state, it is that hot. I'm impressed at the build quality, it really looks great and feels extremely solid. The manual says do not use this as a coffee warmer
tongue.gif

Nuforce HDP is a DAC/Headphone Amp/Pre-amp with RCA input/output, 3.5mm and digital optical input - $449

Schiit Asgard is well, just an amp  - $249

Keep that in mind

I'm eagerly awaiting your comparison between the Asgard and the HDP! :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back