Schiit Asgard: Unboxing and First Impressions
Jun 30, 2010 at 12:36 AM Post #166 of 1,717
i posted this on the other Schiit thread but i'll drop it here too... and kite7, i have left my Asgard on for that long and things didn't fade at all, nor seem to be any hotter than after an hour.

"So... this month has been a crazy one, spending money and gathering new gear. BUuut it was well worth it, today my senn hd600 phones and 650 cable came!

My Asgard has roughly 50 hours on it, and the amp really has changed in those first 50 hours. Nothing insane or anything but really has become more detailed and enjoyable.

I have been doing some swapping between the "un-cooked" hd600's and the k601 (over 200 hours on them)  and the senn does everything better except the mids... to be expected. This sucks because i cant afford to keep both the k601 and the hd600... I'm pretty sure the 600 is here to stay but I will give it a week or so.

As far as the akg matching with the Asgard goes, it must just be the 70x series that doesnt mate the best because with the advent of my unit burning in they 601 really has liked being plugged into the Asgard, I have thoroughly enjoyed it. The bass on the 601 isnt much behind the 600 at all, which really suprised me! Though the 600's have some time to burn in, i cant see them gaining much more bass and definition over the 601. The 601 bass is there in definition just not in weight and richness vs hd600, for me this created a less involving sound-scape. I like my music with weight and emotion apparently since I have discovered the hd600's.

Given that the hd600 is a 300 ohm can and the 601 is a 120 ohm can i found it odd that i turn the volume down (slightly) when i plug in the hd600... Anybody have ideas, is this a testament to how much current akg's draw?

Hope this was interesting to read and i'll post back if much changes as the 600's run-in.

Cheers and Happy listening fellow Hi-Fi'rs
regular_smile%20.gif
"

Jun 30, 2010 at 12:37 AM Post #167 of 1,717

Quote:
I guess he hasn't heard it but I'm more curious about which MOSFET amp(s) chesebert has heard that fits the above description for him to assume the Asgard is no different.
Does anyone know if the Asgard could be left on for 7-8 hours straight?
I too would like to see the interior pictures without having to pry open one myself.

Quote:
So, you've never heard the Asgard, right?

Sugden integrated - class A single ended zero feedback MOSFET output.  Asgard should be a much inferior version of the Sugden amp, as suggested by the price.  I know it's apples and oranges (integrated v. headamp), but I have my expectations.

Jun 30, 2010 at 12:49 AM Post #169 of 1,717
mmayer167,
the Schiit will double as a space heater during the cold Duluth winters
smile.gif

Jun 30, 2010 at 1:00 AM Post #170 of 1,717
hey fishki, i have no doubt in the Asgards space heating ability : )  especially in the vicinity of my desk lol.
...edit: my desk is a space, yes I is going to college...

Jun 30, 2010 at 1:09 AM Post #171 of 1,717
I sincerely hope this amp is not as hot as many of you are claiming. My Little Dot MKVI is a 5Wpc amp @ 120ohms and is hot to the touch similar to how the comments in this thread are stated. This amp is far less powerful and is solid state instead of tubed. My amp even has 2 80mm fans (@7V) underneath keeping it from melting down.

Jun 30, 2010 at 1:17 AM Post #172 of 1,717
Well Maxcla, 

When you read "Pure Class A" you can bet it is going to be a hot SS design. But loads of folks in audio that the heat is a small (or at least acceptable) price to pay for the sonics attributes that Class A amps provide. Nelson Pass has a thing or so to say about the benefits of Class A. 

Jun 30, 2010 at 1:27 AM Post #173 of 1,717

Quote:
Sugden integrated - class A single ended zero feedback MOSFET output.  Asgard should be a much inferior version of the Sugden amp, as suggested by the price.  I know it's apples and oranges (integrated v. headamp), but I have my expectations.

Well, you're dead wrong, but you'll never know until you hear it for yourself.  Expectations are one thing and reality is another.
Cheers,
kwkarth

Jun 30, 2010 at 2:13 AM Post #174 of 1,717
Most Class 'A' amps, and the Sugden in particular, do have a reputation for being light-on in the bass department. However, KWKARTH's experience seems to suggest that Asgard suffers not from this malady.

Class A amps also exhibit neutrality, clarity and composure, which are highly desirable attributes in any amp. So, if it has the bass, the Schiit Asgard could be a giant killer. Da Schiit could be 'da Schiit.

Jun 30, 2010 at 2:42 AM Post #175 of 1,717

Quote:
Most Class 'A' amps, and the Sugden in particular, do have a reputation for being light-on in the bass department. However, KWKARTH's experience seems to suggest that Asgard suffers not from this malady.

Class A amps as a breed exhibit neutrality, clarity and composure, which are highly desirable attributes in any amp. So, if it has the bass, the Schiit Asgard could be a giant killer. Da Schiit could be 'da Schiit.

The Thunderpants should be a great test for the ample bass, or lack thereof.  These cans are pumping so much bass through my ef5 its unreal.  If its missing I will know it.   Asgard should be here Thursday or Friday 

Jun 30, 2010 at 5:53 AM Post #176 of 1,717
Not sure how the Little Dot is heatsinked, but the Asgard uses the exterior chassis as a heatsink which explains the heat. You shouldn't need to put a fan on it even if it does get hot as it the output devices should still be operating within their specs.

I measured the temps on my amp after running it overnight and the temps are the same as when I measured them about 30-40min after power on. Top is between 104F-115F, bottom plate is between 110F-129F. Looking at the amp from the front with it sitting down, the hottest temps are on the right side, which makes sense as that's where the output devices are. If you're going to be picking it up while it's running, be careful of the right side! It's especially toasty over there :wink:

Of course the amp would run much cooler if it had heatsinks, but that'd increase the price for sure.
Quote:
I sincerely hope this amp is not as hot as many of you are claiming. My Little Dot MKVI is a 5Wpc amp @ 120ohms and is hot to the touch similar to how the comments in this thread are stated. This amp is far less powerful and is solid state instead of tubed. My amp even has 2 80mm fans (@7V) underneath keeping it from melting down.

Jun 30, 2010 at 9:30 AM Post #178 of 1,717

Quote:

Expectations are an odd thing. Perhaps the Sugden was extremely overpriced?

And don't discount MOSFETs based on one single piece of equipment....... many DIY designs including but not limited to M3, B22 and DynaFET use them with excellent results.

Jun 30, 2010 at 9:59 AM Post #180 of 1,717
Neither class A nor MOSFET is the problem here.  It's the implementation of single ended operation using zero feedback and sub-premium parts (compared to the best). It's already tough to make single-ended amp with no feedback behave well into different types of loads. When you add the price constraint . . . I hope this amp is one of those accidental high-performers.

I will hear one soon enough and judge for myself.

Quote:
Well, you're dead wrong, but you'll never know until you hear it for yourself.  Expectations are one thing and reality is another.
Cheers,
kwkarth

Quote:
Expectations are an odd thing. Perhaps the Sugden was extremely overpriced?

And don't discount MOSFETs based on one single piece of equipment....... many DIY designs including but not limited to M3, B22 and DynaFET use them with excellent results.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back