Schiit Asgard: Unboxing and First Impressions
Jun 29, 2010 at 11:27 AM Post #153 of 1,717
Yes, sorry about the lack of good internal pix--we've been working through a small change on the Valhalla production metalwork, and that's been all-consuming. I should have some good pix up shortly (as in, this evening or tomorrow.)

Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
Jun 29, 2010 at 9:02 PM Post #154 of 1,717

Quote:
I should have some good pix up shortly (as in, this evening or tomorrow.)

popcorn.gif

se

Jun 29, 2010 at 9:24 PM Post #155 of 1,717
This thread sounds more FOTM-like by the day.

To pull-back from some of the unrealistic expectations:

I expect the amp to sound (1) congested on the top with a lack of extension (2) loose on the bottom with a lack of definition (3) not very dynamic (4) compressed/busy during tough symphonic passages (Mahler 5); (5) warm through the midrange, but is not very transparent and (6) run out of power more easily than other amps.

I already know this amp runs extremely hot - I guess as hot if not hotter than Dynahi - and cannot be safely left on 24/7

Jun 29, 2010 at 9:48 PM Post #156 of 1,717
I'm puzzled. Why are some people buying a $249 amp when they already own multi megabux amplification?
confused_face(1).gif

Jun 29, 2010 at 9:53 PM Post #158 of 1,717

Quote:
I'm puzzled. Why are some people buying a $249 amp when they already own multi megabux amplification?
confused_face(1).gif

1. more headphones than amps
2. need a 2nd/3rd/4th/5th/office/backup system
3. 15-day money back guarantee

Jun 29, 2010 at 10:00 PM Post #159 of 1,717

Quote:
1. more headphones than amps

I have a few amps and quite a few headphones, because none of them can 'do it all'. If I could afford that top of the line amp which would let me 'have it all', I would not keep anything subpar.

Jun 29, 2010 at 10:04 PM Post #160 of 1,717

Quote:
I expect the amp to sound (1) congested on the top with a lack of extension (2) loose on the bottom with a lack of definition (3) not very dynamic (4) compressed/busy during tough symphonic passages (Mahler 5); (5) warm through the midrange, but is not very transparent and (6) run out of power more easily than other amps.

well... does it?

Jun 29, 2010 at 11:34 PM Post #161 of 1,717

Quote:

I already know this amp runs extremely hot - I guess as hot if not hotter than Dynahi - and cannot be safely left on 24/7

Sounds like a typical MOSFET amp you mean? That's unkind from my part I suppose as most FET amps have left me flat. But the price is NICE and the amp is available and shipping! Warm is how most of the folks at Head-Fi like their Music, it covers a lot of mistakes elsewhere in the chain and that is the Crux!! Most people will pair it with entry levels source types, and be quite happy in doing so I imagine.

It's a tiny price for an amp in the scheme of things..and the bright side, with such low expectations, you will be delighted by any on that list that when/if the performance surpasses one or two of those items. 

Jun 29, 2010 at 11:39 PM Post #162 of 1,717
x2
hear, hear. Y'hear?
Tiny price, in this Schiit case = wonderful sonic rewards.

Jun 30, 2010 at 12:16 AM Post #163 of 1,717

Quote:

So, you've never heard the Asgard, right?

Jun 30, 2010 at 12:28 AM Post #164 of 1,717
I guess he hasn't heard it but I'm more curious about which MOSFET amp(s) chesebert has heard that fits the above description for him to assume the Asgard is no different.

Does anyone know if the Asgard could be left on for 7-8 hours straight?

Quote:
Where are the interior pictures?

I too would like to see the interior pictures without having to pry open one myself.

Jun 30, 2010 at 12:34 AM Post #165 of 1,717

Quote:
I guess he hasn't heard it but I'm more curious about which MOSFET amp(s) chesebert has heard that fits the above description for him to assume the Asgard is no different.

Does anyone know if the Asgard could be left on for 7-8 hours straight?

I too would like to see the interior pictures without having to pry open one myself.

Yes, no problem, I've regularly left mine on from 6am to 10pm.  Just make sure the air can circulate around it properly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back