Schiit Asgard: Unboxing and First Impressions
Jun 24, 2010 at 1:57 PM Post #121 of 1,717
Cheers, kwk! 
beerchug.gif

Jun 24, 2010 at 2:10 PM Post #122 of 1,717

Quote:
Interesting.  Quite different from my impressions, though no less valid.  I wonder if the wa6se is tipped up @ the top?  Maybe slight harmonics up there too?  Did you scope either of these puppies to see what exactly was going on, or was this just listening impressions?

Thx,
kwk

purely listening impressions; i'm using eml 274b rectifier and 7n7 for drive/power, which isn't ideal,
but still puts out more gain than the asgard. the highs are not tipped, which is why the he-5 sounds
great on these and i still listen to the gs1000 thru it, as well. i am using the channel island vda2/vac,
which is known to be analytical to a degree.

the asgard makes the he-5 sound outstanding but for whatever the reasons the lcd-2 sounds much
less dynamic and even soft thru the asgard (compared to the wooamp). impressions may change
with time but this is what i've been hearing the past few days. and yes, the gs1000 sounds so very
good thru the asgard. never expected this.

Jun 24, 2010 at 2:46 PM Post #123 of 1,717

Quote:
purely listening impressions; i'm using eml 274b rectifier and 7n7 for drive/power, which isn't ideal,
but still puts out more gain than the asgard. the highs are not tipped, which is why the he-5 sounds
great on these and i still listen to the gs1000 thru it, as well. i am using the channel island vda2/vac,
which is known to be analytical to a degree.

the asgard makes the he-5 sound outstanding but for whatever the reasons the lcd-2 sounds much
less dynamic and even soft thru the asgard (compared to the wooamp). impressions may change
with time but this is what i've been hearing the past few days. and yes, the gs1000 sounds so very
good thru the asgard. never expected this.

This is really interesting.  When I first turned the Asgard on, I felt it sounded a bit overly soft and lacked in definition.  (The source from which you feed it makes a difference, dare I say.)  As the Asgard warmed up over the course of a few hours, I felt it gained in detail and clarity.  I didn't listen continuously over that time, but rather checked in on it from time to time, over the course of the day.

How long do you have the Asgard on when you do your comparisons to the Woo?

Jun 24, 2010 at 2:47 PM Post #124 of 1,717
Jun 24, 2010 at 3:06 PM Post #125 of 1,717

Quote:
This is really interesting.  When I first turned the Asgard on, I felt it sounded a bit overly soft and lacked in definition.  (The source from which you feed it makes a difference, dare I say.)  As the Asgard warmed up over the course of a few hours, I felt it gained in detail and clarity.  I didn't listen continuously over that time, but rather checked in on it from time to time, over the course of the day.

How long do you have the Asgard on when you do your comparisons to the Woo?

you make a very valid point. at the time i put the lcd-2 on the asgard, it had been on for 4+ hrs..
but what makes me rethink i may've jumped the gun on the impression is that i had been listening
to the he-5 on the asgard for about an hour prior. compared to the lcd-2 the he-5 does have a tipped
high... this may've skewed my impression of the lcd-2 on the asgard. i will test again tonite once
i get home and just listen to the lcd-2 from start, after an hour of warm up for the asgard.

Jun 24, 2010 at 6:58 PM Post #129 of 1,717
To be honest, I don't notice much of a difference with or without the amp. Here's my setup:
Computer > Creative Soundblaster Live XtremeGamer > Schiit Asgard > Sennheiser HD650.

By the way, this sucker gets REALLY hot. Like, extremely hot. It is uncomfortable to touch for more than like 10 seconds (on the bottom, anyway).

Jun 24, 2010 at 7:22 PM Post #131 of 1,717
Your XtremeGamer sound card is your weak link. Remember, garbage in = garbage out which is why you may not be hearing any differences

Jun 24, 2010 at 7:44 PM Post #132 of 1,717
yah, the more dynamic and revealing a source component is, the more you will be able to tell the difference between a good and a bad amp. basically coming from a bad source we might as well say that we are listening to a 64kbps mp3 and using it as the reference to compare the amps. Thats probably not the best source material to compare with.

Jun 24, 2010 at 7:51 PM Post #133 of 1,717
Clusterfunk, make sure you are using bit-perfect output. If it's being muxed by windows kmixer it won't likely sound good. For quickest setup, I suggest getting foobar 1.0 and using KS/WASAPI, download the foobar component if necessary. If you're serious about software look into cmp/cplay, but they aren't user friendly, to use an euphemism :p.

Jun 24, 2010 at 8:36 PM Post #134 of 1,717
^ Huh? Bit perfect out through analog? Whaaat? That would make sense if he were using it as a dedicated transport to a separate DAC, but I just don't get it in this instant.

The analog to digital conversion in the xtremegamer is awful. I have one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back