Schiit Asgard: Unboxing and First Impressions
Jun 23, 2010 at 2:01 PM Post #91 of 1,717
Perhaps using potting compound to coat the transformer? Would be a mess but it'd probably reduce the loudness.Not that I would do so, as I like my warranties intact. :) I'm actually tempted to pick one up for myself even though I have a couple DIY amps in the pipeline.

Jun 23, 2010 at 2:08 PM Post #92 of 1,717
Actually, that's contrary to my own experience with mechanical noise isolation, especially xformer lamination noise. Much of the noise generated in this context is the physical coupling of the chassis with whatever its sitting on top of creating a type of "sound board." But heck, it's only a few bucks, and you can stick up some posters on your walls mar free!

Quote:
Blu tak would NOT be appropriate in this case.  It would be completely ineffective.  

Jun 23, 2010 at 2:11 PM Post #93 of 1,717
Keep in mind folks that the "mechanical" noise we're talking about here is below average ambient noise levels in a quiet home.

It's lamination buzz from the transformer.  If the amp weren't running class A, it would be completely silent.  It's strictly mechanical, almost inaudible, and not at all in the signal period.  It's really not an issue unless you intend to plug this amp in and let it idle in front of you in a silent anechoic chamber.  Blu-tak won't help, too much mass/energy and heat for blu-tak to be effective in this instance.

Jun 23, 2010 at 2:13 PM Post #94 of 1,717

Quote:
Actually, that's contrary to my own experience with mechanical noise isolation, especially xformer lamination noise. Much of the noise generated in this context is the physical coupling of the chassis with whatever its sitting on top of creating a type of "sound board." But heck, it's only a few bucks, and you can stick up some posters on your walls mar free!

Great idea!!  
biggrin.gif

Jun 23, 2010 at 2:13 PM Post #95 of 1,717

In this case the transformer is directly coupled to the PCB and via the PCB the chassis. You can't change the height of the PCB since all parts are PCB mounted as Steve said earlier. You can't isolate the transformer as it's soldered directly to the PCB. I'll have to agree with kwkarth here, I don't think blutak will work very well in this instance.
Quote:

Jun 23, 2010 at 2:18 PM Post #96 of 1,717

Quote:
In this case the transformer is directly coupled to the PCB and via the PCB the chassis. You can't change the height of the PCB since all parts are PCB mounted as Steve said earlier. You can't isolate the transformer as it's soldered directly to the PCB. I'll have to agree with kwkarth here, I don't think blutak will work very well in this instance.

Correct.  The solution would be to decouple the xformer mechanically from the chassis, but the current design doesn't facilitate that.

Jun 23, 2010 at 2:31 PM Post #97 of 1,717
My contribution was partly in jest. Albeit, my personal experience and opinion of the stuff--my overall exposure to Hi-Fi in general is similar in duration to kwkarth's--differ's as to its effectiveness. I don't personally use the stuff anymore, but it's in keeping with the price point of the amp.

Moving on... kwkarth, have you tried this lil' overachiever with the LCD-2? 

Quote:

Jun 23, 2010 at 3:05 PM Post #100 of 1,717
I'm in a similar boat. I'm looking for a complementary SS amp to my Sonett (which I love), so that I can dabble in ortho's. If I can get to even 80+ % of the qualities of the Sonett in this lil' box, I could be happy with it and the LCD-2 for a little while until I settle on a more reference level SS amp.

Looking forward to some more impressions!  

EDIT: Sheeze! So much for my grammar... I meant "complementary." A very small spelling error with a HUGE difference in meaning! 

Quote:
I think he has... It was the review right after Judes where he stated it. I want to get an Asgard and an LCD2 meeself 
smile.gif

Jun 23, 2010 at 6:20 PM Post #102 of 1,717
I wasn't obsessing over it, just throwing an idea out there. In all actuality I probably wouldn't notice nor care about it :wink: I think it was the blu-tack suggestion that got me going :p

Jun 23, 2010 at 6:51 PM Post #103 of 1,717

Just returned from a mini listening session with a fellow Head-Fier here in PDX land.

My impressions of the Asgard in this session were very similar to sachu's. 

One thing I haven't mentioned is that in yesterday's listening, the Asgard did a lovely job with the Cardas recabled Sennheiser HD-600s.  Really nice.  

Listening to the AKG-K701s was not as lovely an experience.  For some reason, there didn't seem to be any synergy there.  

It has plenty of power for the 701's but it just didn't have the right tonal character.  The HD-600s though, were as good as I've ever heard them.

So far, the Asgard seems to work well with the HE-5, LCD-2's and the Sennheiser's, but not so well with the K-701's.

BTW, the AT esw9 also synergized well with this amp.

Jun 23, 2010 at 7:10 PM Post #105 of 1,717

Quote:
kwkarth,

Related to your observations,  the FAQ section of the Schiit webpage also states that the Asgard has great synergy with Senns, and that the Valhalla has great synergy with AKGs.

I hope that this doesn't mean that the Val has poor synergy with Senns. This will be bad news as I am considering getting the Val and the HD650 for home listening in the near future.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back